Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Have any of you guys ever wrecked a bike? (Read 651 times)
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Re: Have any of you guys ever gone down?
Reply #30 - 05/07/12 at 12:46:21

Well, I've dropped my husbands Sportster twice (but he only knows about the one time, so shussh!)  and I was pretty much doing the same thing both times.  I was just starting out from a stop, didnt give it enough throttle, killed it just as I was starting to turn and - down she went.   Roll Eyes  It was after that I decided to get a smaller bike that is lighter.  I've almost tipped my Suzie Q, but its enough smaller that I can catch it and keep her upright.  But when that dang Harley started to go, I was just along for the ride.  

*sigh*

Both times, I got lucky that major embarassment was the worst result of the bike hitting the ground.  Oh, and the time that hubby doesnt know about me dropping his bike, the guy in the pickup behind me at the stop sign had to help me pick it up.  the bike, not the stop sign.   Grin  

Lying is emotional immaturity in action
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #31 - 05/07/12 at 13:11:43

Side swiped last year by a 17 year old yammering on his cell phone to a buddy and with his head down in the floorboard looking for something and going waayyy to fast on a gravel road. Then the cops called it a no fault accident???? I HATE cell phones.

Invariably i have at least one nimrod in a suv on a cell phone, usualy female, try to run me out of my lane or run over me on any given trip through town. Did i mention i Really HATE cell phones?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Have any of you guys ever wrecked a bike?
Reply #32 - 05/07/12 at 16:50:50

Roll Eyes

You will notice, I changed the title of this thread before I would even respond to it.

I have wrecked every bike I have ever owned, from mild to major, sometimes multiple times per 'sickle if it was worth the fixing.

17 1/2 foot triple flip in the air over the top of a sedan that just pulled out in front of me was my biggest air, 105 mph locking up an RD400 with a holed piston was my longest black tire mark, falling over occasionally when my legs won't work right at overlook breaks is my most embarrassing (and most current).

Yeah, it'll happen again, I suspect.

« Last Edit: 05/07/12 at 21:32:52 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #33 - 05/08/12 at 03:24:16

bill67 wrote on 05/05/12 at 16:38:48:
Never been down in over 40 years of riding or took a motorcycle course.

I use to be able to say that.

First bike in '66, so it's been 46 years now.
One accident...cause ? ... lost concentration and awareness of the situation at the moment...NOT GOOD.
Year ago Feb. it was, riding a shiny black Sportster.
Exiting freeway at a place I'd used for 20 years.
On the offramp turn at 50 mph I got too close to the outside of the turn...where the sand and gravel collects and could not turn to keep myself on the pavement.
Straightened it up and headed for the grass/dirt between exit & on ramps in order to slow down and work back to the pavement.
BUT, my front wheel found a hole first.
Bike stopped INSTANTLY
Rear of bike shot up and slammed my butt breaking 4-5 vertebrae in the process
Went airborne doing a forward flip or 3 and landed on my back.
Broken ribs, bruised kidney & spleen, and few other parts.
P A I N ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Thank God there were 3 people there within seconds; one calling 911; one keeping me stable until EMS arrived; and a lady asking if there was anyone she could call for me.
Could have easily died if the landing had been head first.
Could easily have been paralyzed if the broken back would have severed the spinal cord ...came within 1 mm of that happening.
5 days in ICU; 3 more days upstairs; 10 days in another hospital for therapy; 4 months in a body brace; about a year in total to get back to something of a normal routine.
I had become complacent having never had an accident for so many years.  I am much more watchful again.  Back to stuff learned in military flight training ... ALWAYS BE ALERT and do not exceed your flight/bike parameters

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #34 - 05/08/12 at 07:10:32

Dang, Lancer, I knew you took a butt whoopin, but I didnt know how close you came to, well,, some really, really bad stuff..
Glad you got by with it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #35 - 05/08/12 at 11:54:21

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/07/12 at 16:50:50:

Roll Eyes

You will notice, I changed the title of this thread before I would even respond to it.

hahaha  I was afraid i was the only one to take  that the wrong way!

In answer to the question, i had 2 low speed gravel "dumps' in my first summer before i figured out why ... none since then (5 years)

Be careful and alert!  

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #36 - 05/08/12 at 13:30:21

Thanks everyone for the stories and tips!
Went on a nice little ride today,got my first biker wave Grin
and also compliment on my bike i was happy!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #37 - 05/08/12 at 14:13:25

Started riding roughly 35 years ago but there was about a 13 year hiatus in there between about 1990 and 2003 (I think) when I wasn't riding at all.  I've been down in dirt lots when I was a teenager but only twice on street.  One was at about 25 MPH and the other at about 40 MPH, both in light rain on slick roads.  I have to admit that the slick road also made it less abrasive for me to slide down the road wearing a rainsuit over denim.  Both times my helmet smacked the pavement pretty good.  While I'm not sure that it would have done any permanent damage, it would have likely knocked me out and maybe given me a small bald spot each time.  Having observed this in an oddly detached manner while it was happening, I personally make it a point to always wear a helmet.  I should note that I average a lot less miles annually than a lot of these folks, so my statistics are probably not reliable.  The last time was in '88 (there have been a couple of close calls since though) and I have to admit that I ride only slightly more conservatively than I did when I was younger but I wear better gear.

There's a saying something to the effect that there are two kinds of bikers: those who've been down and those who are going to.  I've been down but have been very lucky in both instances to have only had minor road-rash.  I just try to be better skilled and more aware now and wear better gear to mitigate any possible future damage.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #38 - 05/08/12 at 20:58:27

Back when I was 15 I rear ended at car. We were racing and I was right behind him ready to pass. He hit the brakes and I had just enough time to bleed off some speed so the hit wasn't at total disaster. Bent the forks good and I got a case of road rash. It happened right in front of the Police Station.  A officer ran out to see if I was hurt and let me go with a stern warning. Definitely a lesson learned. I always leave plenty of room for stopping now.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #39 - 05/08/12 at 21:04:26

Went down 2 years ago due to 92
year old woman. She blew thru the
stop sign, rear ended me. In a brace
for right thumb for couple months then
surgery. Fusion of the joints and in cast
for 3 months. Then back to brace for a
few more. Total recovery time 10 months.
Bike was totaled yet put back together.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #40 - 05/08/12 at 21:23:48

Rode a dirt bike several years. Enough said. Flatracked too. One night I went down flat tracking and got run over. Had rubber tire marks across my chest LOL. Never been down on the street and I've ridden close to 200, 000 miles in my lifetime, knock on wood. My health is so bad now I rarely get to ride. When on the street I try to avoid congested areas and I try to stick to the backroads. Statistically Interstates are the safest place to ride but if you do go down at that speed it aint gonna be pretty. Backroads are where its at, Interstates just get you from one town to another. Now the deer are so bad backroads can be highly dangerous. I attribute my safety record in a large part to learning how to ride in the dirt. Several times i got crossed up on the street but I instinctively knew what to do because of my dirt riding skills.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #41 - 05/08/12 at 22:05:36

I attribute my safety record in a large part to learning how to ride in the dirt. Several times i got crossed up on the street but I instinctively knew what to do because of my dirt riding skills.

Ive read stats that say people who have dirt riding experience drive thru moments that others fall because of.

I did some dirt riding, on other peoples bikes, & I know it saved my a few times,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jimbobbert
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 05/08/12 at 22:16:03

almost forgot: wet grass and your brother's GSXR don't mix. lucky me, the ground was soft so just a wipe here and a wipe there eliminated all evidence of the "crash"  Grin

Rob

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #43 - 05/09/12 at 02:55:18

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/08/12 at 07:10:32:
Dang, Lancer, I knew you took a butt whoopin, but I didnt know how close you came to, well,, some really, really bad stuff..
Glad you got by with it,

Thanks man, I appreciate the thoughts.
It was one heck of a wakeup call.

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 05/09/12 at 11:52:31

I totaled a bike about 8 years ago. A cars fault, but the car always wins against a bike. I have a bunch of experience with bikes and these are some of my main tips...

1. Dont trust other drivers. Most bad accidents on bikes are caused by other drivers.

2. Dont drive in cars blind spots. I cant believe how many knuckle head cycle riders do this.

3. Slow the bike down before a corner while its still going straight. Anytime you are steering and using your front brake that front tire may decide to get loose very very quick with no warning.

Also, once you apply the brakes (especially if nervous) the bike will straighten up and if your not an experienced and calm rider you will go wide in the corner and end up off the road.

4. Keep your feet on the bike. Dont freak out if it gets loose or anything else that makes a beginner want to plant a foot on the pavement.  Its a bad idea.

5. Riding dirtbikes makes any rider better from what Ive seen. If you are used to a bike getting loose you less likely to freak out and stab the breaks or something hazardous like that.

6. Always wear gear if you value your skin and looks. The wreck of mine I had mentioned would have ended with much more skin lost, broken bones and possible facial reconstructions had I not had a good jacket, full face helmet, and pants.

Those are tips that come to mind, not a top list or anything.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:27:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › Have any of you guys ever wrecked a bike?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.