new cap w/o key (Read 522 times)
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Re: new cap w/o key
Reply #15 - 05/05/12 at 03:24:52

thomasoconnor19 wrote on 05/04/12 at 13:35:53:
What I'm wondering is if the locksmith ends up picking the lock....will the lock be in good enough condition to continue using?

Picking a lock doesn't involve doing anything that can damage the lock, he just manually moves each tumbler into position and then turns it. He can just pick it for you and then possibly change the tumblers to fit your key.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 05/05/12 at 03:35:40

This cap worked for you before? Did it slowly get cantankerous? What happened?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #17 - 05/05/12 at 11:50:57

a guy i knew had his goldwing ruined by his soon to be ex wife whe she dumped sugar in his unlocked tank...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 05/05/12 at 16:47:13

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/05/12 at 03:35:40:

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 05/05/12 at 16:54:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/05/12 at 03:35:40:

Bought the bike with the cap locked up

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 05/05/12 at 17:44:27

So, its problee been sitting outside, huhh? Have ya tried drizzling some Kroil in it?
How long was it parked? You mite not need a locksmith,  put some good penetrant it, Im no fan of WD 40, wintergreen oil is good, Kroil is good, run the key in & out about 150 times in 3 seconds,, dont gouge the tank,, Park it in the sun & let the cap get HOT,With the key in it, let it soak with the key in it, pushing on those little springs. then cool it down with some ice in a rag & let it get hot again,,mess with it,,not just putting the key in & trying to turn it, youve gotta make the cylinders guts loosen up..

Once youve real;ly worked at it, taking care to not twist the key off, of course, If you just cant win, then before you take it to get help, with the key in, wrap a piecew of wood in a towel, lay it on the cap, by the key & lightly slap it with a screwdriver handle,,just sit there & spank on it quickly & lightly.,Let that thing soak a day & cycle it hot & cold with the key in it, give it some vibration & Ill bet it lets go,,

Unless its just the wrong dang cap.,.

& remember, the tabs that lock it are against the lip of the tank, pushing down on the cap while you turn the key makes it a lot easier.

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #21 - 05/07/12 at 13:01:04

No bot its not, wish it was.
Thing is most one eyebrowed low IQ knuckle draging haters dont think about that. Just the gas tank. Easy quick access.

Had a couple of kids(12-14) sugared my bronco years back. Why? Cause they were bored and thought it would be fun.
Caught em but our local rural barney fifes would'nt do anything because i did'nt see them actualy pouring the sugar in.(sugar on their hands, jeans and tennis shoes though)
They DID help remove and clean the gas tank in the heat at MY insistance though...lol
Reason i got locking gas caps on all vehicles now. That and gas aint That cheap...lol

On a side note cops would'nt do anything when they tried to burn the apartments down one night because noone actualy seen them light the match.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 05/07/12 at 13:27:59

children are legally negligent.
to the point that if you park your hot m/c and they walk up and grab the exhaust, you can be sued.

So, getting them to clean it out was about all you could do besides telling their daddy and hope he would tan their hides.

Sugar does not dissolve in gasoline. The old myth that sugar will "caramelize" once it gets into the cylinders and turn your cylinder walls into peanut brittle is false.  But it will clog up your filter.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 05/07/12 at 13:34:49

So, getting them to clean it out was about all you could do besides telling their daddy and hope he would tan their hides.

Children of the "Hide Tannin" daddy types arent usually the hooligans.. they done been taught better.. Usually,,
My dad had a sayin, took me years to understand it

If youve got one boy, youve got a boy, if youve got two boys, youve got half a boy, if youve got more than 2 boys, you aint got no boy at all,..

& NOW I get it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 05/07/12 at 13:54:00

Knowing this, I really don't know how they can arrest a child for anything they do in school.  How can an 8 year old be charged with sexual harasment for singing "I'm so sexy" ?  And will he have to wear that stigma for the rest of his life?  People nowadays don't know sh!t from shinola.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 05/07/12 at 21:45:42

So, Thomas,, YOu makin any headway? What have you tried?

IP Logged
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 06/28/12 at 13:33:15

i am just getting around to this now.

going to try to pick the lock or force it open somehow. if i damage it to where it can open with any key, that is fine.

which was do you guys rotate the key to open the cap? that would help me out.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 06/28/12 at 14:08:27

clockwise, I think.  It's been a whole day since I've done it.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 06/28/12 at 16:56:32

I bought a bike with a locked cap. Got a locksmith to unlock it so it could be opened with a screwdriver, clockwise. I turned it CCW and relocked it, luckily off the bike. Haven't figured out how to take the cap apart to make it non-locking, think I broke it. Now the tank is taped up for a seal, not the best solution.

There must be a non-locking gas tank cap that fits. Something cheap, not a billet bit from the Hardly boutique. Anybody up for a cruise to the junkyard?

I can't believe that everybody on this list is using the same gas cap; must be someone who knows of a replacement without a key. None of the other bikes I've owned over the past 40 some years had a locked cap.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #29 - 06/28/12 at 20:56:53

ive scoured the salvage in the area as well as the interenet for yamahas and suzukies alike, they are all extremely similar but the only one i found was the original cap. The next best option assuming you can weld would be a screw in replacement. oem ones go for $100+

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:24:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new cap w/o key

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.