Send Topic Print
57 MPG, hot dang! (Read 407 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Re: 57 MPG, hot dang!
Reply #15 - 05/04/12 at 12:48:37

JOG, I don't think my brake is dragging all the time .

IP Logged
Scott McCrory

Thumper newbie

Columbus Ohio USA
Reply #16 - 05/04/12 at 13:29:28

RycaShawn wrote on 05/04/12 at 12:47:58:
Hey guys. I get a backfire almost every time I kill the motor. Definitely running rich huh?

No, just open the carb just before you shut it down!  Wink

2006 Suzuki S40 Boulevard
  IP Logged
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
Reply #17 - 05/04/12 at 13:58:12

interesting...

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #18 - 05/04/12 at 21:00:56

Routy wrote on 05/04/12 at 04:57:27:
Never have figure out,......
Here's my stocker, at sea level (drilled exhaust) supposedly running on the lean side (145 main) from the factory, and leaner yet w/ relieved exhaust,.....and averaging 45 mpg,.....mite get 50 riding like grandma on her way to church !

Then we have these modifides,....running on the rich side. (150-155 main) averaging 57-60 mpg,.....

Now,........I never was the best at math,......so I'll let the techs tell me, which bike is running leaner ?? Undecided  

If you get too lean, the burn in the combustion chamber will burn out before burning all the fuel.  This is referred to as a "lean miss", and the mpg goes out the tailpipe in the form of unburned gas.  Go too rich, and there is not enough oxygen to finish the burn, resulting in the fuel not giving off its full amount of energy, and again poor fuel mileage.  The first one was too lean, and the second was closer to that 14.7 to 1 air/fuel ratio.

IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #19 - 05/05/12 at 08:20:39

My Fuelly in my signature shows that I'm dropping just below 42Mpg. Stock bike, barely over sea level, just last weekend went to a 55pilot, white spacer mod, and 145main.

My bike can't idle worth a darn and my front brake does drag.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #20 - 05/05/12 at 09:21:54

Right wrist...  is the main culprit in mpg's...

In town,... I see lots of throttle blippers at lights... jackrabbit starters,.. and yellow light challengers...

One throttle blip at a light will throw away enough fuel to take you a good distance at a steady cruise...  people blipping every 4 or 5 seconds for a minute and half, at every light... adds up...
I rarely need more than 1/4 throttle to have the lead in traffic light takeoffs...
Coast,.. to yellow lights... you're gonna' have to stop anyway...
Cruise in your bikes "happy place",... 45 to 60 mph... Highway speeds and wind, suck gas much faster...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #21 - 05/05/12 at 09:58:52

Serowbot wrote on 05/05/12 at 09:21:54:
Right wrist...  is the main culprit in mpg's...

In town,... I see lots of throttle blippers at lights... jackrabbit starters,.. and yellow light challengers...

One throttle blip at a light will throw away enough fuel to take you a good distance at a steady cruise...  people blipping every 4 or 5 seconds for a minute and half, at every light... adds up...
I rarely need more than 1/4 throttle to have the lead in traffic light takeoffs...
Coast,.. to yellow lights... you're gonna' have to stop anyway...
Cruise in your bikes "happy place",... 45 to 60 mph... Highway speeds and wind, suck gas much faster...

I am hard on the throttle most days. I can't stand going slow, so I know I'll never see 60mpg on this bike. But even when I take is easy I've never seen 50mpg.
I don't blip while stopped, I do coast when approaching a stop light and time it so that I never even have to stop when it's feasible.
I haven't been on the highway in a while but I ride at 65to keep it easy on the bike and myself. My commute to work is half city and half 55mph.

But even when taking it easy going for 350miles of highway riding in a weekend I never got above 48mpg. I'm 6' tall, 175lbs.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #22 - 05/05/12 at 10:09:30

Fish wrote on 05/05/12 at 09:58:52:
But even when taking it easy going for 350miles of highway riding in a weekend I never got above 48mpg. I'm 6' tall, 175lbs.

Really should be better...  maybe something mechanical... relating to the fluctuating idle...
A cold engine will fluctuate a little,.. but you say you've noticed it more so...
I'd check the carb for leaky float needle/seat.. sticky slide,.. TEV,..
... also check air filter,.. and intake boots...

Do you have apes?... Those things will turn your body into a drag chute...
Huh...

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #23 - 05/05/12 at 10:31:43

The front brake dragging seems to be a common thing. I took my caliber apart several times, cleaned everything, lubed the sliding pins but it always drags a little. I even got a different caliber with the same result. The pads wear 100% evenly so nothing seems crooked. The inner pad always drags no matter what. Funny thing is it doesn't wear out faster. Both pads still have identical thickness. My caliber moves so easy, I can squeeze the piston back in with one hand with still everything mounted. So it is not that. The front wheel never really runs freely.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #24 - 05/05/12 at 10:40:07

The pad touching the rotor is normal for this type of disc brake...  so, you will hear it dragging, but it should'nt be much more than light contact...
Wink...

IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #25 - 05/05/12 at 11:21:15

Lol, no apes for me. I've got stock buckhorns. I want drag bars.

I thought that a little touching was fine, it's only really noticeable when pushing the bike or occasionally when coming to a stop.

My rear is definitely loose enough, I've had the rear off the ground spinning freely.

Even when my idle was good and dandy and the bike was running normally I never got above the low 40s for mpg. How can I check the float needle/seat and the slide to know they're operating properly? The TEV was cleaned out during the carb cleaning.

IP Logged
Scott McCrory

Thumper newbie

Columbus Ohio USA
Reply #26 - 05/05/12 at 11:43:20

Serowbot wrote on 05/05/12 at 10:40:07:
The pad touching the rotor is normal for this type of disc brake...  so, you will hear it dragging, but it should'nt be much more than light contact...
Wink...

Cool, that answers something I've been wondering about - a very light hissing sound from the front brake when pushing the bike (off) around the garage.  Thought I might have to adjust it, but it sounds like that might be normal.

2006 Suzuki S40 Boulevard
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #27 - 05/05/12 at 14:59:02

The only way to stop a disc brake from draging is to make it like the drum brakes,......put pull back springs on the piston to pull it back beyond the rotor contact point Roll Eyes

In reality, I believe if either brake was dragging enuff to change even 1 MPG, it would be smokin in a very short time.  Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #28 - 05/05/12 at 17:15:51

Fish...

Luckily I just explained this yesterday... Grin...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1336175216/0
Quote:
Turn off your petcock,.. pull the fuel line at the petcock,.. and blow into the line...  if no air flows,.. a fuel additive might help...
If air blows... pull the floatbowl,.. and hold the floats up, gently with your finger...   ...blow again,.. and see if air flows... if it don't,.. try the additive...
If, air still blows through... your float needle is either obstructed or worn out... remove, clean, or replace...

To check the slide,... you gotta' pop the top off the carb. or pull the air boot, reach in the carb,  and move it up and down with yer' finger...

IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #29 - 05/05/12 at 19:44:21

Ah, thanks. I stumbled across that earlier today while reading the threads.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:21:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 57 MPG, hot dang!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.