Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Front suspension bottoming out. (Read 486 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Front suspension bottoming out.
Reply #15 - 05/04/12 at 08:35:14

Ive never messed with the forks, but it looks like a hassle. I wouldnt want to go back, ever. I dont have even a clue about this, so Im just gonna ask,,

Is this when a guy should go ahead & put new seals in?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #16 - 05/04/12 at 13:34:03

There are 4 4mm holes in the bottom of what is essentially an open tube. The oil can flow both ways through the holes, so it is the same for compression and rebound. The difference is that the spring hinders compression and assists rebound.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
87thumpR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 05/04/12 at 13:38:53

I was thinking of servicing my forks, and wondering what the best oil would be? I have all stock everything on the front end.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #18 - 05/04/12 at 13:43:15

Here we go............ a fork(ing) oil war! Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #19 - 05/04/12 at 13:49:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/04/12 at 08:35:14:
Ive never messed with the forks, but it looks like a hassle. I wouldn't want to go back, ever. I don't have even a clue about this, so I'm just gonna ask,,

Is this when a guy should go ahead & put new seals in?

Yep... seals, dust seals, seal clips, and bushings. None of this stuff is expensive, and the only difficulty is getting the damper bolts out.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #20 - 05/04/12 at 19:45:29

Arteacher just hang in there for a year, when I'm out of motorcycle school I'll help ya out brother... I'm not joking

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #21 - 05/05/12 at 03:46:06

Built2Last wrote on 05/04/12 at 19:45:29:
Arteacher just hang in there for a year, when I'm out of motorcycle school I'll help ya out brother... I'm not joking

Ahhh.....you'll be too busy fixing hurlys. Grin

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #22 - 05/05/12 at 07:28:37

What is the standard fill level if I was to remove the caps to check?

Also where to buy fork oil? Does Auto Zone or O'Reilly's carry that?

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #23 - 05/05/12 at 07:31:11

arteacher wrote on 05/05/12 at 03:46:06:
Built2Last wrote on 05/04/12 at 19:45:29:

Ahhh.....you'll be too busy fixing hurlys. Grin

I'm not gonna work on Harloleys really...

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #24 - 05/05/12 at 07:43:24

ralfyguy wrote on 05/05/12 at 07:28:37:

Service manual says: Frame # up to 103407-441 ml,103408 and after-447 ml. With the fork vertical, compressed, and the spring out the level should be 75.0 mm from the top of the fork.
Stock oil is 10 wt. Any bike shop will carry it.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #25 - 05/05/12 at 07:54:11

arteacher wrote on 05/05/12 at 07:43:24:
ralfyguy wrote on 05/05/12 at 07:28:37:

Service manual says: Frame # up to 103407-441 ml,103408 and after-447 ml. With the fork vertical, compressed, and the spring out the level should be 75.0 mm from the top of the fork.
Stock oil is 10 wt. Any bike shop will carry it.

Thanks for the info. I was just hoping that there was a way to check without having to remove the forks.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #26 - 05/05/12 at 16:36:52

You don't have to remove the forks just get the front end up and off the floor.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #27 - 05/06/12 at 04:47:38

Cheater method with forks removed... Drain over night hanging upside down. Place on floor, stand upright, compress upper tubes into lower. Fill with oil of choice (I used Type F ATF) to top of upper tubes. Extend forks, bolt back into place.

Almost as good as a decent (read springer) front end. Almost no brake dive.

Note: Ford Type F automatic transmission fluid CAN eat the inner seals. Dexron/Mercon Type 3 will not. Both are heavier weight than the stock fork oil and a whole lot less expensive. Save the fancy stuff for other toys where fork tunability is more critical.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #28 - 05/06/12 at 08:40:49

WD wrote on 05/06/12 at 04:47:38:
Cheater method with forks removed... Drain over night hanging upside down. Place on floor, stand upright, compress upper tubes into lower. Fill with oil of choice (I used Type F ATF) to top of upper tubes. Extend forks, bolt back into place.

Note: Ford Type F automatic transmission fluid CAN eat the inner seals. Dexron/Mercon Type 3 will not. Both are heavier weight than the stock fork oil and a whole lot less expensive. Save the fancy stuff for other toys where fork tunability is more critical.

People who have no experience with such things have nothing to go by BUt the manual. Experience pays dividends, cutting costs & doing less labor to accomplish the same task are great dividends. If I was doing this job, right here is where Id lay the manual down & go with what some old dude who has messed with things says.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #29 - 05/06/12 at 10:41:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/06/12 at 08:40:49:
WD wrote on 05/06/12 at 04:47:38:

People who have no experience with such things have nothing to go by BUt the manual. Experience pays dividends, cutting costs & doing less labor to accomplish the same task are great dividends. If I was doing this job, right here is where Id lay the manual down & go with what some old dude who has messed with things says.

My grandfather used to say "you have to learn the rules before you can break 'em.)
Kind of applies here too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:37:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front suspension bottoming out.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.