Send Topic Print
New Tire Snafu (Read 180 times)
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
New Tire Snafu
04/30/12 at 19:55:45

OK, I ordered new tires for my bike, and thought I'd go to the larger 140/90-15 rear.  New tire gets here, and oops it seems I accidentely ordered a 150/90-15 rear. Angry  Does anyone know if it will fit a stock bike without saddlebags or the sissy bar?  Or do I need to send it back for the smaller tire? Undecided

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New Tire Snafu
Reply #1 - 04/30/12 at 20:20:25

you can get it on there, but be prepared to swap the stock bolts for low profile button head style.

WWW   IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #2 - 04/30/12 at 20:42:29

Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but I guess I'll make em fit before I pay to ship them back. :'(

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #3 - 05/03/12 at 21:18:10

Well, I finally got the 150/90-15 mounted in the rear, and it is definatley a tight fit.  I couldn't get the bolts in the rear fender to rub while rolling and bouncing hard on it, but just to be safe, I set the shocks from the middle setting up one.  The other place it was close was in front of the tire in the middle of the swingarm.  I haven't had a chance to take it up to speed yet, but I didn't rub going over the speed bumps in the neighbor hood.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/03/12 at 22:07:04

the fender shimmies more than a hula girl... get the low profile bolts.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/04/12 at 00:07:03

verslagen1 wrote on 05/03/12 at 22:07:04:
the fender shimmies more than a hula girl... get the low profile bolts.

Unless you follow that bike & watch it go thru the gears, youll never see how shocking the gyrations that fender goes thru at certain RPMs & torque loads are, IIRC, It was in 2nd or 3rd ( my girl was leading, I was on the Guzzi) & I saw that thing whipping back & forth in what looked to me to be an impossible vibration. I never felt it when I was riding it, but I saw it.,Now I understand how the license plates crack,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 05/06/12 at 05:07:25

Yeah, the stock rear fender is really a flimsy piece of junk considering how heavy it is. Expect it to take a permanent twist toward the left (tip toward the right, center to the left)  after a couple years of hard riding.

Did you at least get yourself a nice wide whitewall out of the size mis-order? No other reason to go up that large. Bike handles best with a 130 rear tire.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #7 - 05/07/12 at 09:44:22

Well, the tire did rub. Angry  Not on the fender, but on the center of the swing arm on the right side.  It seems that centrifical force (Think top fuel dragster) causes the diameter of the tire to increase at speed.  I ended up pulling the rear wheel, and grinding the weld smooth to gain the clearance.  I don't know why, but the factory weld was almost 3/8" tall on the right side. Huh  I touched it up with some black paint meant for wrought iron fences.  While I had the grinder out, I took down the fender bolts to about  1/4".  So far, no more rubbing.

Sorry, WD, not whitewalls, but I did get the raised white letters (Bridgestone Spitfire). Cool  As far as advantages vs. disadvantages, I don't know if I'd go that big again.  The handling is different, but the old factory IRCs were worn flat(bald) in the middle. Embarrassed  There is definalely a power loss, but the tradeoff is that first no longer feels like a tractor, fifth almost feels like an overdrive, and the motor isn't spinning it's guts out at 80mph. Smiley  I will have to be careful with my speed, as I suspect the speedo is off. Sad

« Last Edit: 05/07/12 at 20:30:44 by SALB »  
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #8 - 05/07/12 at 09:55:42

SALB wrote on 05/07/12 at 09:44:22:
The handling is different, but the old factory IRCs were worn flat(bald) in the middle. Embarrassed  

I hear you... My stockers & replacements...

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:16:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Tire Snafu

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.