Send Topic Print
o- rings or permatex? (Read 58 times)
irishrabbi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

o- rings or permatex?
04/30/12 at 15:10:16

I recently did the plug/cap leak repair job and all turned out well but after riding the fixed bike for a spell, I noticed some wetness around the "valve covers".  I tightened the covers back down with the addition of some blue lock-tite and now the little bastards are down for good but the oil is still weeping from around these covers.  My question is : Should I get new replacement o-rings or should I just smear some high temp silicone under there to seal it up?  Again, it isn't a major leak or anything but it is a little annoying to fix one leak only to cause a new one.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: o- rings or permatex?
Reply #1 - 04/30/12 at 15:52:15

What sealer did you use between the head & the head cover?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 04/30/12 at 16:14:27

Take the covers off, remove the "O" rings, flat sand the flat surface of the covers on a full sheet of medium sandpaper just until the entire surface shows even sanding marks.

You have likely warped your valve covers a bit by over-tightening them.   The existing "O" rings will work fine in the slightly shallower channels produced by the sanding.  

Get four new bolts, the over-tightening causes bolt to stretch and can cause early failure, so get some new ones now before they break on you.

Locktite is not needed on the valve cover bolts -- you will be making trouble for yourself as the little bolts like to stretch and snap bad enough as it is -- with locktite your odds of bolt failure just went up a whole lot on the next remove.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
irishrabbi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/30/12 at 20:03:15

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/30/12 at 15:52:15:
What sealer did you use between the head & the head cover?

I used red (high temp) silicone. No leaks.

IP Logged
irishrabbi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/30/12 at 20:13:34

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/30/12 at 16:14:27:

Take the covers off, remove the "O" rings, flat sand the flat surface of the covers on a full sheet of medium sandpaper just until the entire surface shows even sanding marks.

You have likely warped your valve covers a bit by over-tightening them.   The existing "O" rings will work fine in the slightly shallower channels produced by the sanding.  

Get four new bolts, the over-tightening causes bolt to stretch and can cause early failure, so get some new ones now before they break on you.

Locktite is not needed on the valve cover bolts -- you will be making trouble for yourself as the little bolts like to stretch and snap bad enough as it is -- with locktite your odds of bolt failure just went up a whole lot on the next remove.

I added the locktite because the bolts seemed to have vibrated loose causing my "extra" leak.  I didn't think over tightening (and perhaps warping the covers) was the issue because I really didn't wrench them down (a stubby 10 mm wrench was used) but a refacing of the mating surfaces on the covers might be the answer.  What do you think about some lock washers instead of chemical bonding to reduce vibration induced bolt loosening?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 03:26:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › o- rings or permatex?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.