Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New in town...Shopping! (Read 229 times)
RadioRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New in town...Shopping!
04/30/12 at 14:54:54

Hey all,  Newbie here.  Been lurking awhile, considering buy a new S40.  I currently have a VStar 1300 and a Burgman 400 for around town.  Burgie is supposed to get me about 56 mpg, actually getting about 49.  I'm hoping that the S40 may give me a little more punch around town and maybe, rated @ 63mpg, a little better mileage.
Burgie and S40 have about the same HP&Torque specs, any body have real life comparison?  Also, don't see many folks around here really getting near 60 mpg.  MAybe the qustion is, why do you ride an LS650?

PB050121reduced.jpg
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: New in town...Shopping!
Reply #1 - 04/30/12 at 14:58:41

If we were THAT concerned about mileage, we would all ride mo-peds. Wink

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/30/12 at 15:56:39

Isnt that Bergman pretty quick & fun? You gonna keep it? If you can sell it & use the $$ to get a used Savage & have any $$$ left over, you mite consider that,, Whats the maintenance like on it? What are you tire costs & how far do they run?
Spending a few thousand to get 10 MPG,, gonna take a Looong time to pay out.. & if the Savage has any higher maintenance costs,, it will never pay out,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #3 - 04/30/12 at 16:03:28

Here's a few answers to the question of "why the s40?"

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1334589188

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
RadioRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/30/12 at 17:44:00

justin_o,  It actually is quick & fun.  09 with stock tires and 5100 miles, probably another 2K left on the tires.  Tires are about $80 each plus install, other than a few chosen mods, oil changes are all I've done to it.  I've only been riding about 4 years and I just want to ride them all.  I think I gotta, at least, try 'em.  I've had my current 2 bikes for a couple years now and I think I'm just wanting something diff.  Probably a very silly thought/itch.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 04/30/12 at 18:23:03

If you like to do your own maintenance,... and like fooling around customizing... this is the bike for you...
You can make this bike into anything you want it to be...

That's my favorite thing about it... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/30/12 at 18:48:15

Regardless of the mileage issue, I imagine it's really apples to oranges.
That Burgman is going to give you a completely different experience than a more traditional motorcycle; especially a 650 thumper.
If you have an itch for something different, I say go scratch it! You could by a couple of really nice Savages/S40's for what you'll get for that Burgman and have some change left over....
There are lots of low mileage S40's out there that have never been abused, although perhaps neglected, for cheap money...
Go try one!

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #7 - 04/30/12 at 19:33:26

I own/ride both a S40 and Burgman 650. They are totally different rides and I don't get near the advertised gas mileage with either bike. I do my own maintenance. I love the S40 due to it being so light and fun to ride. The Burgman 650 is my touring bike but is still fun on curvy back roads. I have never rode a Burgman 400 but can say that the 650 is a lot faster than the S40

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Georgiadigger

Abandon
"Hope" for
Gods sake?

Rebel from the GA SC line
Reply #8 - 05/01/12 at 00:58:37

I've had a few bikes, I never had the urge to work on none of them. Just ride and clean one every now and then. As much as I hate to admit it. I even paid to have my oil changed. Anyway, I never really paid any attention to Suzuki's before. I always had the lifestyle bike on my mind. Until one faithful day I rode by a S40 for sale in a parking lot. Something possessed me to buy the bike ASAP. Something about the retro throwback look & feel of a healthy torquey single cylinder engine. Then only two weeks later I was pulling fenders, chopping the frame, changing exhaust and running lights. The madness hasn't stopped yet! It is consuming every free moment I have. I want to change this, I should have done that etc. It even has me posting in forums at 4 in the morning. I just wish I was more mechanically inclined but, I'm trying hard!! You can do so much with this bike, at a low price is the best part. It isn't the best interstate bike to have but, my ventures on the interstate are few and far between. I'll never buy another bike, I'll just replace my LS650 with another! I have less than 3k in this bike and that includes the jack I bought so I could work on it. I get tons of looks with this bike wherever I go, even from my hardcore friends. Who at first thought I lost my mind. I'm enjoying this bike trmendously. My wife loves it cause I've been staying at home working on it. I'm riding it to work more, cause I don't have tons of money tied up in it. The MPG hasn't crossed my mind much yet! I'm just having too much fun Cool

« Last Edit: 05/01/12 at 03:45:13 by Georgiadigger »  

2012-05-01_03-28-28_547.jpg
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 05/01/12 at 02:55:34

Georgiadigger wrote on 05/01/12 at 00:58:37:
I've had a few bikes, I never had the urge to work on none of them. Just ride and clean one every now and then. As much as I hate to admit it. I even paid to have my oil changed. Anyway, I never really paid any attention to Suzuki's before. I was always had the lifestyle bike on my mind. Until one faithful day I rode by a S40 for sale in a parking lot. Something possessed me to buy the bike ASAP. Something about the retro throwback look & feel of a healthy torquey single cylinder engine. Then only two weeks later I was pulling fenders, chopping the frame, changing exhaust and running lights. The madness hasn't stopped yet! It is consuming every free moment I have. I want to change this, I should have done that etc. It even has me posting in forums at 4 in the morning. I just wish I was more mechanically inclined but, I'm trying hard!! You can do so much with this bike, at a low price is the best part. It isn't the best interstate bike to have but, my ventures on the interstate are few and far between. I'll never buy another bike, I'll just replace my LS650 with another! I have less than 3k in this bike and that includes the jack I bought so I could work on it. I get tons of looks with this bike wherever I go, even from my hardcore friends. Who at first thought I lost my mind. I'm enjoying this bike trmendously. My wife loves it cause I've been staying at home working on it. I'm riding it to work more, cause I don't have tons of money tied up in it. The MPG hasn't crossed my mind much yet! I'm just having too much fun Cool

A M E N  !   Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/01/12 at 07:17:08

RadioRider wrote on 04/30/12 at 17:44:00:
justin_o,   I've only been riding about 4 years and I just want to ride them all.  I think I gotta, at least, try 'em.  I've had my current 2 bikes for a couple years now and I think I'm just wanting something diff.  Probably a very silly thought/itch.

I have had this same thought recently.  Perhaps if you buy at a good used price you can sell them later on and not lose much.  It is somewhat hard to make any money in KY if you are buying and selling privately....as the state makes us pay sales tax and ad volorem tax on anything that we own....so anything we buy and sell later will get taxed.

I have had the urge to try a Kawasaki 250 ninja...they are cheap and plentiful around here.  I would also like to try a Harley Sportser - more money but still plentiful.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/03/12 at 02:35:28

With regular gas at $4 a gallon around here, the difference between getting 49 mpg and 56 mpg is approximately 1 cent per mile.  I suppose I'd get rid of my power lawn mower if I was really concerned about excessive gas consumption and redirect that gas to a more efficient machine, my S40.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #12 - 05/03/12 at 05:32:18

tizzyfit wrote on 05/03/12 at 02:35:28:
With regular gas at $4 a gallon around here, the difference between getting 49 mpg and 56 mpg is approximately 1 cent per mile.  I suppose I'd get rid of my power lawn mower if I was really concerned about excessive gas consumption and redirect that gas to a more efficient machine, my S40.

$4/gal ? You lucky ... !!!

Over here I pay €1.90/liter...

...equivalent to...

... $9.75/gal ?

Howzzat for expensive ? Angry

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 05/03/12 at 07:30:01

& George W Bush, after someone told him about the high cost of fuel in Europe said

"I dont see why we cant have that over here".. & theyre workin on it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Georgiadigger

Abandon
"Hope" for
Gods sake?

Rebel from the GA SC line
Reply #14 - 05/03/12 at 09:22:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/03/12 at 07:30:01:
& George W Bush, after someone told him about the high cost of fuel in Europe said

"I dont see why we cant have that over here".. & theyre workin on it.

Average was $1.89 when Bush left office. Obama told everyone he was going to make spoiled Americans energy prices skyrocket and yet folks voted for him. We are well on our way.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:19:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New in town...Shopping!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.