LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Tinkering maintenance
04/30/12 at 13:48:57

Needed to get in some AIR TIME yesterday afternoon so went to the garage and pulled out the purple ( or pink ) bike ( I call it the PURPLE HORNEY ) ...depending on how the rods and cones are arranged inside your eyeballs.
Decided it really needed an oil change before taking off so started that; then decided that while waiting for the oil to drain I'd do a quick jet change and needle mod.
Also threw on a little Emgo stainless mesh cone filter as long as I had the carb out.
Of course, since I did the carb it surely needed the stock muffler replaced with something more appropriate, and after pulling several off the shelf to choose from I settled on the Emgo from the Ryca kit since it had the mounting spacers and mount bar included ... handy it was.

Got it all buttoned up ... just 3 hours for the 30 minute job ... not too bad for a "mature citizen" working in 90 deg. weather.  Well, by finish time the temp was decreasing and there was a nice breeze.  Grabbed a quick shower so I could ride in comfort and got off at 530 pm for a ride around Lake Murray; 65 miles +/-.  Carried a couple of tools just in case, including the little screw driver for the pilot screw.  Played with it a few times to test response and got all but a very occasional half-fire out of it.  [ 52.5 pilot, screw 2 turns out, 3 washers on needle, 152.5 main ]

Today had a doc's app. and rode the bike; freeway riding this time for some higher speed checks.  Went to 2.5 turns out on the screw after the first leg.  Much better.  The Purple Horney runs good !
The speedo went past 100 to maybe 103-105 indicated for a short burst in an area that the smokey hats never take roadside positions on.

It was running good enough that I expected to see the low to mid 90's maybe but was very surprised to see the triple digits.  Of course true ground speed is another thing.  Even so, the machine ran very well; pulls fairly hard and sounds pretty darn good.
For a stock engine I was impressed.  This is one of the better stock engined LS650's I've ever ridden.  Seems like this may be one of the those occasional engines that comes of the assembly line with all the right pieces in balance and with the spec's right on.  

It would be nice if all the engines coming from Suzuki are made this well now.  That would be great.

Original when I got it last year.

With new muflfer ... much sleeker looking with just that one change, don't ya think ?

Pink ?

Purple ?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Tinkering maintenance
Reply #1 - 04/30/12 at 14:10:48

That pipe improves the look 100%... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 04/30/12 at 14:26:23

Serowbot wrote on 04/30/12 at 14:10:48:
That pipe improves the look 100%... Wink...

Goes from CLUNKY to a more stream lined look to me

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/30/12 at 14:43:54

Whaaat? You didnt want to maintain the beauty of the stock muffler!

I spose thatll do..if thats what ya like,, does it weigh much less than the chrome cannon Zuki put on it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 04/30/12 at 14:59:10

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/30/12 at 14:43:54:
Whaaat? You didnt want to maintain the beauty of the stock muffler!

I spose thatll do..if thats what ya like,, does it weigh much less than the chrome cannon Zuki put on it?

about 20 lbs less based on my calibrated hands

IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #5 - 04/30/12 at 15:29:21

That's the EMGO Shorty Reverse Megaphone muffler. That's what was supplied by Ryca. And I settled on the same jetting, too! -- 152.5 main, 52.5 pilot, and a little over 2 turns out (I'm at sea level.)  Don't know about the needle as I didn't go there. It has good dynamic response, so no need to. That is one loud muffler, even with the crumbcup and fiberglass packing added.

I'm averaging 55 mpg on a 16 year old engine with 22K on it, but then I rarely go over 65mph (bicycle computer calibrated to front wheel).

« Last Edit: 04/30/12 at 18:44:31 by BuckRYCA »  

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Georgiadigger

Abandon
"Hope" for
Gods sake?

Rebel from the GA SC line
Reply #6 - 04/30/12 at 23:58:53

Mercy, I wish I had your mechanical ability Lancer! I haven't had time or courage to open the envelope that my jet set came in yet. I'm figuring I need three days instead of 3 hours. I really need to ride into the SC Hinterland and have a tinkering lesson! I could buy you a steak with all the trimmings for your tinkering time/lesson Wink
Nice work on a beautiful bike. The new muffler without a doubt cleaned up the lines of the bike.  

Respectfully, Rocky Sommers

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 05/01/12 at 02:39:45

Georgiadigger wrote on 04/30/12 at 23:58:53:
Mercy, I wish I had your mechanical ability Lancer! I haven't had time or courage to open the envelope that my jet set came in yet. I'm figuring I need three days instead of 3 hours. I really need to ride into the SC Hinterland and have a tinkering lesson! I could buy you a steak with all the trimmings for your tinkering time/lesson Wink
Nice work on a beautiful bike. The new muffler without a doubt cleaned up the lines of the bike.  

Respectfully, Rocky Sommers

Send me a PM dude and we can work out a time to tinker.
I'm retired so scheduling time is pretty much open.
Lot's of parts going out these days so I'm spending a lot of garage time working on those.
COME ON DOWN

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 05/01/12 at 02:50:10

BuckRYCA wrote on 04/30/12 at 15:29:21:
That's the EMGO Shorty Reverse Megaphone muffler. That's what was supplied by Ryca. And I settled on the same jetting, too! -- 152.5 main, 52.5 pilot, and a little over 2 turns out (I'm at sea level.)  Don't know about the needle as I didn't go there. It has good dynamic response, so no need to. That is one loud muffler, even with the crumbcup and fiberglass packing added.

I'm averaging 55 mpg on a 16 year old engine with 22K on it, but then I rarely go over 65mph (bicycle computer calibrated to front wheel).

I got 50 mpg on the first full tank after the changes; not bad for a heavy handed rider.
I am going to adjust it a bit and see how it responds.
With the pilot screw at 2.5 turns out, I'm going from the 52.5 to the 55 pilot and will take the screw down to 1 turn out to start the tune process again.
The needle has 3 washers on it now but I will take it down to 2 washers.
May also try the 155 main jet.
Should be fun.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 05/01/12 at 16:07:54

BuckRYCA wrote on 04/30/12 at 15:29:21:

The little bit of fiberglass in the muffler as it comes from Emgo is not adequate at all...sounds hollow/tinny to me.  I'm going to rewrap the baffle with the stainless mesh scrubbers that has been mentioned here last week or so.
It does make for a more solid sound and should help tuning and maybe a bit better performance.
When I pull the muffler to do that I will go ahead and open the outer exhaust port ring as well; it's quick and easy to do with a power rasp on a high speed drill.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #10 - 05/01/12 at 20:41:26

I could use a stock muffler?

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #11 - 05/01/12 at 21:37:36

magenta
sure does change with the light

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 05/02/12 at 12:22:24

Dj12midnit wrote on 05/01/12 at 20:41:26:
I could use a stock muffler?

Do you want the stock muffler I took off ?

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #13 - 05/02/12 at 20:51:33

Lancer sent you a pm.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 07:34:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tinkering maintenance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.