Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Front pulley nut removal and spline maintenance (Read 1398 times)
LS650THUMPER

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ma
Re: Front pulley nut removal and spline maintenanc
Reply #30 - 05/08/14 at 17:21:11

I used a small tie  rod removal tool, placed it between the top of the pulley and the underside of the belt. In place of the 9mm socket trick. The 32mm socket 1/2 " drive ratchet and a pipe for extra leverage and gave it hell.. It did break loose. Good ole yankee ingenuity .

IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Re: Best way to break free the 32mm drive pulley n
Reply #31 - 07/07/14 at 19:05:50

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/29/12 at 17:50:33:

Learned the Hard Way

Electric impact wrenches simply lack the ass to get the nut off, much less put it back on good.   Justin had the skinny on using the air wrench -- short abrupt bursts off a fully run up tank pressure gives the most output torque off the wrench.

Not all impact guns are created equal.  At work we have a "Harbor Freight" good paper weight, and a Craftsmen good for small stuff.  I brought in one of my IR guns for doing everything else.  Removed lots of free spinning pulleys without having to hold them.

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Best way to break free the 32mm drive pulley n
Reply #32 - 08/01/14 at 05:18:26

Seaweednh wrote on 07/07/14 at 19:05:50:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/29/12 at 17:50:33:

Learned the Hard Way

Electric impact wrenches simply lack the ass to get the nut off, much less put it back on good.   Justin had the skinny on using the air wrench -- short abrupt bursts off a fully run up tank pressure gives the most output torque off the wrench.

Not all impact guns are created equal.  At work we have a "Harbor Freight" good paper weight, and a Craftsmen good for small stuff.  I brought in one of my IR guns for doing everything else.  Removed lots of free spinning pulleys without having to hold them.

The harbor freight electric impact wrench works fine for this task. Plenty of torque 85ftlbs, just need to hold the trigger down for several seconds, builds up to max torque then reassure your work with an impact socket and breaker bar... I agree that the air impacts are better but the simplicity of plunging in is nice... I wonder if all the engine  mods people are doing maybe contribute to increased wear?

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 08/01/14 at 09:47:18

I have a modified engine, and don't plan on any additional wear.  A lot of bikes use this shaft and spline size for both pulleys and sprockets, and it is not a weak point that I am aware of. The big single may have  torque at low speed that the other bikes can't match - but other bikes that use this shaft size can make more horsepower.

The folks that are having trouble somehow ended up with a nut that came loose, and they did not find out right away.  Our bike is a noisy beast, and sometimes an extra noise can go by without being noticed.  If ridden much when the nut is loose, it can wear the shaft quickly.

When I put my gear on I always clean the shaft and threads well, use Thread Locker and the factory locking tab washer, and tighten it to the high end of the torque value specified.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 08/01/14 at 10:42:14

I have found that with the bike off and in neutral while pushing it forward, if that nut is even remotely loose it will make a slight whirling grinding sound...easy to spot in my mind. If its really loose, with the bike on and rolling in neutral or clutch disengaged it will do this as well...I have stock exhaust though.

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #35 - 08/27/14 at 13:21:00

Just took one off a 97.  (Parting out bike)
First, tightened down the rear brake,  (Adjuster nut)
Then put the 32mm (Which 32MM is the SAME size as 1-1/4) on.

Now 32mm = 1-1/4, I did not know.
Until, I grabbed a seldom used set, of BIG Sockets,
thinking I would find one that was close.
Lo and Behold, I grabbed one, which, 'looked' right,
and it Fit perfectly, it was marked 1-1/4".
Then, I looked again, it was marked 1-1/4 with  (32mm) next to it.

(Later did the math, 32mm = 1.2598 inch. But later is the key word.
That kinna like, looking at the little piece of paper,
that comes with a new grill in the box, 'before', you put it together.)  Grin

So, rear wheel, 'braked'. Socket on, with breaker bar, with a 2" piece of pipe over. (about 3' OAL).  Then put pressure on. It didn't move. But just kept the pressure on, and in about 30 sec, it started to move.  I was a Happy Camper!  Cool

The hardest part was, pounding back that little tab on the washer.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 05:25:02

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Front pulley nut removal and spline maintenance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.