YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Oil leak check
04/29/12 at 15:19:13

So after fixing my head plug leak last week, I gained another leak.
sh!t there was oil everywhere.  So I cleaned it all up.  Hmmm... now how do I find the leak?  Spray footpowder and wait?  Sh!t no!

took off the valve chuck, jammed it into the breather hose, clamped it all down.  Then pressurized it to 10psi and watched and listened.  ok, loose bolt here, new o-ring there, aha no more leaks.   Cool
« Last Edit: 09/24/22 at 15:31:29 by verslagen1 »  

oil_leak_check.jpg
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Oil leak check
Reply #1 - 04/29/12 at 16:32:59

I went to school with a guy who was smart like that,, everybody was always askin Gene for help solvin problems..

Ill always remember good old Gene,, Gene Yuss, if ya ever meet him, youll like him,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 07/22/15 at 21:27:59

Thats good Versey !  Just go old fashion Logic !  Cool

So far I've been Blessed with no leaks  (23,000 miles),  OldRider I see a new set of new "O" rings in your future !  Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 07/24/15 at 07:46:41

I do a leakdown test on my 2-strokes all the time but never thought of doing it on a 4-stroke...does the breather hose just pressurize the crankcase?

If so, that may be the way to find my minuscule leak on the stator side...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 07/24/15 at 08:42:51

Bubba wrote on 07/24/15 at 07:46:41:
I do a leakdown test on my 2-strokes all the time but never thought of doing it on a 4-stroke...does the breather hose just pressurize the crankcase?

If so, that may be the way to find my minuscule leak on the stator side...

At this point...I dunno for sure?  I don't know that the starter motor is completely air tight, or that there are no places where air won't escape though some form of vent.  What we are suggesting is that the crankcase could be pressurized a small amount - and that by using a regulator the pressure could be maintained to provide a way to use soapy water or hearing to help locate where the air is escaping.  Care should be taken not to put too much pressure in the crankcase and make new leaks by blowing out gaskets, seals, plugs or sealant.  (One forum member blocked off the vent hose and blew out the camshaft plug while riding down the road).  I was thinking about using 2-3 psi.....Versy used 10 psi and didn't blow anything up/out.      

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #5 - 07/24/15 at 08:57:27

The breather prevents (over) pressurization of the crankcase, as well as venting combustion byproducts that are harmful to the oil, the hose takes them to the airbox to be burned in the combustion process
every downstroke of the engine pressurizes the crankcase, just as the up stroke pressurizes (compresses) the combustion chamber
you might get away without a breather on a multi with a 180 degree crank (one piston goes up while the other comes down) but in a single, or a multi with a 360 degree crank, lack of a breather would blow whichever seal blows the easiest
Versy has proven the Savage motor will not puke it's seals at 10 psi, above that, who knosw?

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #6 - 07/26/15 at 22:00:07

verslagen1 wrote on 04/29/12 at 15:19:13:
...took off the valve chuck, jammed it into the breather hose, clamped it all down.  Then pressurized it to 10psi and watched and listened.  ok, loose bolt here, new o-ring there, aha no more leaks.   Cool

Dang, Verslagen. For  minute there you had a blown 650 single. ;-'

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 09/10/15 at 09:36:18

I just did this on my new "project" bike....worked like a charm.  I pressurized the crankcase to 5 psi by letting almost all the air out of the compressor before I connected to the "huff" tube.  I found an oil leak at the cylinder had cap, just above the spark plug.  This will require the cylinder head cap removal and new sealer......and obviously I am going to install a Verslagen Head Plug while I have it apart.

« Last Edit: 03/22/16 at 09:06:22 by Dave »  

11blzdl.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #8 - 06/07/17 at 10:54:57

Do you think this would work to find oil leaks in the head gasket? I think my head gasket may be leaking oil and I would like to "test" it before disassembling the engine. Thanks.

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 06/07/17 at 13:15:03

Andy ,no one has ever reported a head gasket leak,that we no of .Chances are it's the dreaded head plug leak.To test the head gasket you would have to bring the piston to top dead center to close the valves,and introduce air through the spark plug hole at compression pressure . and find a way to lock the piston in place to prevent it's downward movement. It would seem easier just do a compression test.or clean the motor really well ,start the bike, and then look for the origin of your leak.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 06/09/17 at 09:02:47

Andy RN wrote on 06/07/17 at 10:54:57:
Do you think this would work to find oil leaks in the head gasket? I think my head gasket may be leaking oil and I would like to "test" it before disassembling the engine. Thanks.

Yes, it will find any leak that's open to the breather.
And I have found my head gasket will leak thru the copper gaskets under the head bolts.  I do recall removing them and greasing them to retorque the head bolts.  Shoulda annealed them before putting them back on.

WWW   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #11 - 06/09/17 at 15:49:06

that's not a head gasket leak, though. a smear of rtv seals them up.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 06/10/17 at 08:10:26

Versy, howcum you retorqued the head?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 06/11/17 at 07:56:13

Odds of an actual head gasket leak are about zero. The head plug is a common problem. Versy sells an aluminum plug with o-rings . It's a permanent fix. Or, you could be seeing a had cover leak.
Head gaskets usually don't just weep a little oil. If the compression/big fire, and explosion aren't perfectly contained, the initial tiny leak will very quickly wash/cook/blast the gasket away, and it will not be a
Gee, is my head gasket leaking
moment.
Clean it up and watch where you see it start from or do what Dave did.

If someone wants to try this but doesn't have a compressor I Think an inner tube might be a start..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 02/24/18 at 11:37:08

replace the o-ring.  they don't last forever.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 01:58:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil leak check

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.