Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
There,.. I fixed it... (Read 765 times)
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: There,.. I fixed it...
Reply #15 - 05/25/12 at 19:30:56

Sir Serow, how's the power with the larger front sprocket? I went with a smaller rear sprocket on my Vulcan 800 and it definitely helps as far as super-slab cruising buzziness. The vulcan has alot more power on tap so I don't even notice the difference right after launch...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 05/25/12 at 19:42:32

As long as I'm in the right gear,.. power is still plenty good...  but each step is bigger,... so, to go fast, I think I'm shifting out at a higher rpm to catch the prime torqueband of the next gear......  
I've been riding this bike for 6 years... so, the unconscious shift points now require some attention...
Gonna' give it some time...

Funny, but switching to a completely different bike, is easier than adjusting to a change in one that you are very used to...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #17 - 05/25/12 at 21:16:20

Great info thanks! I'm in the middle of planning a long trip for later this summer and am really hoping to get this pulley business accomplished. Lol, that among a pile of other things XD

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
Reply #18 - 05/25/12 at 23:27:03

Hey guys. I installed this on my Ryca. Fits great. The larger rear tire rubs against the swing arm at high speed when the tire expands so I have to grind on it a little to add clearance.

Overall, I love it. I think it works quite well with my big bore and web cam. I'm not sure what it would be like on a stock motor. My Ryca is sooo much fun to ride now!!! Oh and on the freeway I usually forget I am in 5th with the stock pulley and want to upshift to another gear that's not there. I caught myself a few times with the new pulley cruising in 4th not realizing I have one more gear. It almost feels like an overdrive now, but not quite.

IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #19 - 05/26/12 at 00:33:54

Now that's what I want to hear! Highway improvement! =D How did you go about getting the gear to fit on your bike? Did you grind it like Serowbot did or you do it some other way? Or is the Ryca so much different you didn't even need to worry?

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
Reply #20 - 05/26/12 at 08:55:43

I turned down both sides of the pulley on a lathe. Made sure the original surface I was cutting down had less than .002" of runout before I cut the new surface.

Btw, I too get a little more belt noise. When I roll to a stop with the engine disengaged, there's a mild drone. Serowbot, experiencing the same thing?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #21 - 05/26/12 at 09:09:06

RycaShawn wrote on 05/26/12 at 08:55:43:
Btw, I too get a little more belt noise. When I roll to a stop with the engine disengaged, there's a mild drone. Serowbot, experiencing the same thing?

I'm opposite... dead quite on decel... whine is when the gas is on...
Still experimenting on how to remove...

(... and I mean experimenting...
Last try used a grease splatter shield,... a cooking pot,.. and a turkey baster...
I decided it was the trailing edge of the belt teeth against the leading edge of the pulley teeth... so, I sifted dirt with the screen into a pot, and used the baster to squirt fine sand between the pulley and belt, as I turned the wheel...
If it had worked, it would have been my masterpiece... sadly,.. it helped only 20%...  
...polished the pulley nice though.. Huh)..

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 05/26/12 at 09:40:21

Try some of that stuff from at the pool hall,.,heck,, IDK what it even IS,, but its the white stuff ya rub on yer sweaty gripper,, Its not powder, is it? Sure not lookin very powderish,, Is it chalk? I bet itll knock the whine down..

Some white chalk,, pulverized, ? Ill bet thatd work some too,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #23 - 05/26/12 at 09:47:13

Chalk... Wink... Hmmm?.. Excellent idea...  I have a bottle of it for filling a chalk line...
... but it's blue... (only comes in blue or red)...
Heck,.. I 'll try it anyway... It'll wear off eventually... Huh...

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #24 - 05/26/12 at 19:05:42

I'm glad this worked out for you but I really suggest people get theirs milled or turned. Hell, I'll do it for free just to allow myself to sleep better at night.

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #25 - 05/28/12 at 02:58:58

Great find, great thread, great idea!

I opened this page waiting to find something kinda like this:

but oh surprise surprise, there it was, the motorcycle part
I was looking for years and never found, I got up to 90+mph
with the help of carb tuning and an oversized rear tire but
never could do the TON;

...now if I only still had a savage  Roll Eyes

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #26 - 07/16/12 at 21:11:26

Finally was able to get a hold of my machinist friend. He was able to throw the pulley on lathe and grind it down to the size of the original. Haha! When he gave it back to me he said it was harder than it looked and that he went through 6 tips cutting the thing! At any rate, he did a real fine job.

Got the pulley on, ground some contact points on the case, and gave it a nice 40 mile ride on the highway. So far so good.

Also, it should be noted to adjust the rear brake after doing this mod!  Shocked Where'd you go!? lol

Can def see a speed difference from the speedo and GPS comparison. As soon as you get past 30, watch out! It just keeps drift'n farther off!

Gonna have to get used to running in different gears in the city, but I think I'll like it in the end.

MPGs please
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #27 - 08/05/12 at 12:41:10

My solution for belt noise was.... mustache wax. You can make it yourself with bee's wax and Vaseline at about a 60-30 ratio. Heat it up till it melts and brush it on the belt. My initial application has worked for 2000 miles so far.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #28 - 08/05/12 at 17:47:53

Serowbot wrote on 04/30/12 at 18:30:52:
... with oversize 140/80 -15 tire... redline moves up to 110.7 MPH...
   60 mph cruise 3525rpm

Hey Serowbot, awesome mod. Any recent comments? I'm a little confused though, 140/80 -15 is the stock size rear tire??

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 14:37:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › There,.. I fixed it...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.