Send Topic Print
idle screw (Read 65 times)
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
idle screw
04/28/12 at 21:29:50

What is this idle screw adjustment I keep hearing about? I have adjusted the idle speed. Is there something I am missing? Help?

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: idle screw
Reply #1 - 04/28/12 at 21:40:09

Its the Idle Air mix screw youre confused about, not your fault,, its hidden under a brass plug on the right side of the carb,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 04/28/12 at 22:52:37

Yup,... Idle "speed" screw,... raises and lowers the idle speed...
... but,...
Idle "mix" screw,... adjusts the amount of air to fuel mixture, at idle...

It is blocked off from the factory,... due to emission reg's in the US (tested at sea level)...
...but,... because America is such a huge country,... temps, elevations, and humidity's, vary wildly across this land... and this effects the needed ratio of air and fuel...
Then,...breathing mods, also need to be accounted for (air filters and mufflers)...
So,... we open up that plug,.. and adjust...
Evil as that may be, we do it,... 'cause we're rebels (Savages actually)... Grin...

Buahhahhahhah!... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #3 - 04/29/12 at 10:50:13

Thanks guys. I found teh plug and removed it. Turned screw 1/2 counter clockwise. We'll see what this does. When I bought the Savage, it wasn't running so smooth. It has Jardine pipe, but the idle speed was set low. Air filter was filthy. Nearly 2,000 miles on it since I bought. I'm slowly getting this thing tuned...

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/29/12 at 11:17:07

Low idle speed will wreck the head where the cam spins on aluminum journals machined into the head with no inserts. Gotta keep the idle speed up to keep enuff oil in the mix up there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:27:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › idle screw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.