Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stock Turn Signals without rails (Read 148 times)
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Stock Turn Signals without rails
04/28/12 at 12:05:25

Has anyone gone about taking off the rails and keeping the stock turn signals?
I took off my sissybar/backrest and i would really like to take off the rails but the turn signals use the rails to mount.
If anyone has, how did you rig up the stock signals?
Thanks guys!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Stock Turn Signals without rails
Reply #1 - 04/28/12 at 13:02:15

That would take more time & effort than buying easy install replacements would cost,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca
Reply #2 - 04/28/12 at 19:08:54

I like the stock signals and didn't want to have different ones to the front so I mounted them to the fender.  Not a big problem.  Have to remove the rubber part, drill a hole into the reinforced part of the fender, find a nut and washer.  I did it so I could mount saddlebags without the signal interfering.  If you wanted to mount the signals in exactly the same place but without the rail then I guess this didn't answer your question but it's an alternative.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #3 - 04/28/12 at 21:18:52

You can pretty much buy any "metric cruiser" turn signals and they will fit in the rail bolt holes, put the nut on them and lock em in place. then you can just splice the wires and you're done.

IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #4 - 04/29/12 at 11:08:50

kuri77 wrote on 04/28/12 at 19:08:54:
I like the stock signals and didn't want to have different ones to the front so I mounted them to the fender.  Not a big problem.  Have to remove the rubber part, drill a hole into the reinforced part of the fender, find a nut and washer.  I did it so I could mount saddlebags without the signal interfering.  If you wanted to mount the signals in exactly the same place but without the rail then I guess this didn't answer your question but it's an alternative.

Where exactly did you put the screw on the signal? and did you just run the wire through the fender?

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #5 - 04/29/12 at 13:26:28

If you search back there are several threads about larger saddlebags where the signals were moved back to the license plate bracket. Several different methods were discussed so take your pick, but none required drilling holes in the fender. I used a piece of emt tubing I had laying around. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca
Reply #6 - 04/30/12 at 19:14:32

Sorry I made it sound less involved than it is. Did it a while back and forgot what was done.  So took it apart today to be able to tell you.
Anyway, here's what I did, totally removed the rubber stalk with steel insert.  Took a 6mm 2.5 inch button head bolt with washer and fed it from signal light through 6mm hole I drilled in fender.  After relooking turns out I should have gone a little higher to get the reinforced part of the fender.  But they've been on for a while now and I ride regularly.  Haven't moved and don't vibrate that I can see.
I used a 6mm washer of 5/8 OD under head of bolt to allow room for the two wires to pass through the stalk tunnel without getting squashed.  I also drilled a separate 6mm hole for the two wires to go into the fender.  They followed the fender up to where the brake and tail light wires also went through the fender under the seat.  Only improvement I would make and will eventually is put grommets in fender holes.
I have more pics for further edification, just pm me.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 05:32:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stock Turn Signals without rails

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.