Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Additives vs Carb 'Mod' (Read 124 times)
locomotiveman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota USA
Additives vs Carb 'Mod'
04/27/12 at 21:03:04

Yes, my 01 with 3500 miles has that slight  Mid-range 'hesitation'. I'm not keen on wanting to pull apart stuff to do the white 'spacer' Mod in the carb. I added Seafoam in 2nd tankful and run Shell premium, but is that little white washer an inherently flawed design that one MUST tackle? Raptor Petcock and Lo-speed Mix screw Adjustment, In-line filter Mods are done; I just don't want to pull a Carb. FUBAR and then wish I had left it alone if it's just an irritation that usually never worsens over time. Thoughts much appreciated.  Locomotiveman

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Additives vs Carb 'Mod'
Reply #1 - 04/27/12 at 21:11:10

Then dont mess with it yet,, & dont waste the $$$ on premium, ever watch how many gallons they sell in a day? That stuff Sits There forever,,
These arent High Compression, & thats what High Octane is for, put Ray Gullar in it,
The white washer thing is, IIRC, a pretty good hassle, I dont remember exactly where it is, but I DO remember 2 tiny little screws in the carb.. hard to get to & harder to get back in,

Someone, help this dude out,,

Besides, just because the thing isnt running Perfectly isnt that big of a deal, carbs never do, you can get it better, but you mite want to wait till youve got good reason to go in,

Im gonna say Sea Foam isnt needed in a 3,500 mile carb, It wont fix the white washer, & that carb isnt gummed up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 04/27/12 at 21:42:52

3.5k on a 12 yr bike, ain't many miles...  Try a few tankfuls with Seafoam and see what happens... can't hurt...
... even just runnin' it won't hurt...
I'm a Marvels Mystery Oil fan myself...
... but,.. just be patient... it may clear out...
If not,... try just cleaning the jets out (I use guitar string and carb cleaner)...
Then,.. if you still have a problem... maybe look to the spacer mod...
(.. or just grow to love it)... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
locomotiveman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota USA
Reply #3 - 04/27/12 at 21:46:26

Justin-o-guy2
OK, thanks. We 'CornCountry' folks now contend with Hi-ethanol gasoline. Only way to avoid it is to buy Premium; certain stations now have 1 Premium tank for Boats, lawnmowers and us Bike owners.
I'm just awonderin' if Seafoam's ingredients (naptha, iso-propyl Alcohol, and PaleOil) PLUS buying Ethanol-blend gasoline wouldn't be a mistake. I dunno. My bike hesitates.....a little. It's an irritation for now.
I DO know I will live with an irritation, but if it's best do the Carb'sPlastic Washer Mod...I guess I will. I'd rather ride than wrench. Locomotiveman

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 04/27/12 at 22:17:27

We've had "blended" gas here, six months per year, for the least ten years... the bike is fine with it...
Between me and Gerry,... we've got 70k miles on it...
Nobody here ever buys Premium,... that stuff must 6 months old, sitting in those tanks...

PS... mid-grade gas doesn't exist...  most stations only have two tanks... mid-grade supposedly mixes those two... (half blended, half ancient, and contaminated... worst of both worlds)...

God bless our little Model T bikes... they'll burn anything that smells funny.....
Huh...

IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/28/12 at 03:56:05

if your going to tackle the white spacer mod you might consider getting one of these tools from harbor freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-reversible-impact-driver-set-93481.html
it will make removing the little screws go with much less bad language, it's only around $5. the best solution, if you have some spare $, is to get a mikuni vm carb from lancer.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 04/28/12 at 08:15:00

My '07 w/ 3K miles ran perfect except for a very irritating surging in 2-3 gear 25-30 mph......light load throttle. And when I would pull the choke out 1 notch, it would make the surging near not existent.
The white spacer mod fixed it 99.99%. Now at 6500 miles is still runs......and idles perfect.
The spacer mod is not hard if carbs don't scare you. But do use a new philips driver, and lots of pressure on those 2 screws (don't let it slip !!)
I don't see how an impact driver can be used w/o chance of ruining the slide, but if it's been done, so be it.
Forget premium gas, and forget that E-10 is bad for carbs,....b/c its not !
The E-10 now days is so much better than that leaded junk that used to varnish and gum up carbs. E-10 does not do that, no matter what you have been led to believe. Nor does E-10 go bad after even a year+.......runs just as good as fresh. And yes, I know...... I've seen and done it all.  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
locomotiveman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota USA
Reply #7 - 04/28/12 at 22:00:21

Seroboy, Routy and....
I follow you loud and clear on 10%Ethanol/Gasoline being OK. I suppose to be more to my point, I should have asked, "Does the stock Carburetor have an inherent design flaw with that little plastic spacer inserted to satisfy some EPA rule, such that NO amount of Seafoam or Tek will help with it's Mid-range hesitation? Reading the Tech Posts/Mods leads me to think that is so for all of them right off the showroom floor. I also forgot to ask: is that plastic 'washer' a wear-item over time, or is it made of real stable material?  If the hesitation doesn't worsen, I'm tempted to live with it; but I do appreciate the relentless pursuit of perfection here on the Forum. So far, I really like the bike. It's 11/yrs old with 3,000miles. What's not to love. Locomotiveman

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 04/28/12 at 22:27:06

All bikes (samples at least),.. nowadays... are tested for emissions and noise to enter the US...  Reg's are tight, and they are tested at sea level...
If you live at or near sea level,... you will be a bit on the lean side under normal conditions...
I live at... 2600 ft elevation, and lean sea level jetting suits this elevation fairly well... 5k,.. and you may even be rich with stock jetting...
Now,.. we throw in some breathing mods, and... it's a total cr@p shoot...

So,.. nothing inherent in the bike itself,... but just a generality of modern pollution and noise reg's... that effect all vehicles...

Air/fuel mix... is very much effected by elevation, temps, and humidity...
So,.. there is, at best, the hope of getting a decent average for your riding conditions...

If you're interested... See my tuning guide, in the Tech Section for advice on dealing your particular condition,... it shows some easy tests to guide you through each stage of carb jetting...
No one piece of tuning advice can apply to all,...so testing is the key...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1309246277

This bike is a cake walk,.. compared to multi-carb bikes... Wink...

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 04/30/12 at 05:47:20

From what I understand, the white spacer is a fixed adjustment,.......that used to be adjustable by moving a clip in different knotches on the needle.
(I remember those) On some carbs,.....and under some conditions, it happens to be fine, on others it mite be tolerable,......on mine it wasn't... I didn't like it, and having messed w/ a zillion carbs in my life, it was an easy fix. But one thing is for certain, the epa doesn't want us changing any of these fixed adjustments, and if I remember correctly, a repair shop is not allowed to. And thats not to talk about mods to exhaust etc etc, then all bets are off.
Just like my bike seems to be just fine w/ the stock jets in it, where as others seem to run lean. Mine also idles perfect, and still has the brass plug over the mix screw. Others have had to adjust the mix screw to get even a decent idle.
At the same time, if my bike was subject to being run hard......WOT,......or hi speed on hot days, it may very well prove to be on the lean side and deserve a larger main jet.
What I like to advise here, is don't fix what ain't broke. If its tollerable, maybe its fine,......or at least the MFG thinks it is.
One thing I strongly advise is to put a small inline fuel filter tween the tank and carb. 90% of all carb problems are caused from "dirt" getting in the carb. And the other 10% probably is too.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:21:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Additives vs Carb 'Mod'

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.