Send Topic Print
Missing Key (Read 277 times)
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Missing Key
04/27/12 at 18:08:52

Hi All,

I'm in the process of buying an older Savage. The PO was driving it without a key. There is an on/off switch on the right side near the battery for ignition, no side cover. The gas cap is locked, no key anywhere.

What to do? How do I get the cap off? Does Suzuki sell replacement keys? There are some numbers on the fork lock that might be used for a reference.

Since I intend to do the Ryca Scrambler mod the lack of a keyswitch is not a show stopper. Maybe can just replace the gas cap with one without a key?

Thanks,

BigR

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Missing Key
Reply #1 - 04/27/12 at 18:12:29

No real need to pull the cap,, take the tank off, pull the petcock, get a skinny little funnel & gas it up,, See how easy that is?

He shoulda taken it to a locksmith before he ran the gas low.
If you buy it, take $$$ off for the cost & hassle

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/27/12 at 18:28:12

fork lock and ig key are different, and don't think they're keyed the same anyway.

I can pick the tank lock, done it a couple of times.
take a flat wire like the kind you find in windshield wipers and bend it about quarter inch from the end, use this to twist the key cylinder.
get another round wire like a small paper clip, on the end put a little bump so it will just push one pin in at a time.
use the flat wire to twist the cylinder and stroke up and down with the round wire, keep doing it till the lock opens.

WWW   IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #3 - 05/11/12 at 06:54:33

I've been searching for some info on this, so rather than start a new thread, I'll just pick up where this one left off...

I'm also the new owner of a used Savage - a 1995 model.  After telling me that he had the keys, the PO then realized he couldn't find them.  He's a coworker, so I took the bike, but I'm getting tired of him "trying" to find the keys.

I called the Suzuki dealership and asked if they could cut keys to the VIN if I brought them the title.  They said no, and that I'd need the "key code."  Of course, I don't know where to find the key code, and I didn't get any OEM paperwork with this thing.

The guy at the dealership said he could "try" to trace the key code by using the VIN, but there were no guarantees.

Does anybody have any other suggestions?  If he can't figure out the key code that way, I guess I'm looking at a locksmith cutting me new keys.  Angry

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/11/12 at 07:24:53

Take a look on the bottom of your ig switch
sometimes the number is stamped there.

and as you walk happily into your dealer... key code in hand... naw, we don't make keys.

WWW   IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #5 - 05/11/12 at 07:26:06

Cool.  I didn't see anything upon initial inspection, but I'll look a little closer this time.  Smiley

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #6 - 05/11/12 at 16:49:15

"Fork lock and ig key are different, and don't think they're keyed the same anyway."

??mine are the same. Huh

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/11/12 at 18:36:13

Starlifter wrote on 05/11/12 at 16:49:15:
"Fork lock and ig key are different, and don't think they're keyed the same anyway."

??mine are the same. Huh

You can stick the same key in either lock?

I can do it on the honda, but not a '88, '96, or '02.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 05/11/12 at 23:22:15

Tell him youll buy it, when it comes with 2 keys.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/15/12 at 16:31:40

HI all,

Went to the local pick-a-part junkyard and had the locksmith pick the lock on the tank. I felt better giving him my 10 bucks after it took him a whole 5 minutes to unlock. Of course I promptly relocked it while trying to remove the lock mechanism.

Question: Is there a "universal" gas cap that fits this bike? I really don't want to spend the money on a new or used cap and key. I'm going to change the tank anyway for a Ryca style build. Just want something to keep the gas in. Bike Bandit shows a locking cap for all years of Savage.  

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #10 - 05/15/12 at 17:22:27

Starlifter wrote on 05/11/12 at 16:49:15:

??mine are the same. Huh

Ignition and tank cap are same.  Fork lock is different.

These are the stock keys. Fork lock on left, other 2 fit tank/ignition.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/15/12 at 17:59:38

I noticed the fork lock is different. Since the ignition switch was missing and I buggered up the cap I'm looking for a simple, read cheap, fix. Side cover on right side is among the lost, too.

The P.O. replaced the key switch with a simple On-off switch. Works OK for running the bike. Later on I will need to fit a proper key lock but it isn't needed to run the bike.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 05/15/12 at 19:27:22

Take the lock apart, pull the guts out & a blank key will work it. Or a screwdriver, no one needs to know it isnt "Locked" right & proper & the cap wont come off w/o the lock being turned,

IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #13 - 05/17/12 at 06:22:21

I removed the ignition cylinder and brought it to the locksmith, who easily cut me new keys.  They work in the ignition and the toolbox, but won't budge the gas cap.  Undecided  I jiggled the hell out of it and lubed it up too.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #14 - 05/17/12 at 17:52:44

"You can stick the same key in either lock? I can do it on the honda, but not a '88, '96, or '02."

Oops, you are 100% correct Vers. Geez, I would have sworn the "one key fits all" worked on the fork lock. I guess I can't remember the last time I used the fork lock (if ever)...God only knows where That key might be. Huh

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:30:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Missing Key

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.