Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbee questions from the mechanically handycapped (Read 106 times)
paul33329
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cheyenne, WY
Newbee questions from the mechanically handycapped
04/27/12 at 12:29:50

After having a Honda Shadow 750 ten years ago I'm getting back to riding with a 2006 s40. I'm loving it and this fits my short legs much better.  

I did not live in a cold climate 10 years ago, so i don't know how to deal with a carburetor, rather than fuel injected cars.  How long should I let it warm up at say a temperature of 40 degrees and no temperature gauge to help me tell?

And now two questions specific to the s40.

1) The shocks / struts seem terribly stiff.  It is surprisingly jarring to hit even a small crack in the road.  Is this normal and if so why?  Is there a way to adjust it?  It appears to be the original equipment.

2)I know generally what the fuel lever(something thingy) settings mean; reserve, on, primer.  But does it matter where it is set when you fill the gas tank?  Plus I haven't yet found a reason to use the primer.  When would I and then would I turn back to on right away?

Thanks,
Paul Lewis

Paul Lews
Cheyenne, WY
2006 Suzuki S40
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: Newbee questions from the mechanically handyca
Reply #1 - 04/27/12 at 13:09:48

Welcome  Grin I think you will really get to like this bike ALOT!!!

Carb-There is a choke pull lever that has a 1/2 setting and full choke setting on the left side by the fuel petcock. Depending on your bike, and how it is tuned, you may need to pull the choke to get it started and let it warm up for a min or two before pushing it back in to take off. This is a procedure that varies for each person/bike combo so it will take a little getting used to. When the bike is warmed up though you shouldn't need to choke it again to get it started.

Shocks-If you get down underneath them you can see the little steps that you can twist the shocks to adjust the pre-load. If it's on the tallest step the shocks will be set to their stiffest setting and vice-versa. Just be sure you set both sides the same  Shocked

Fuel Petcock-ON is the setting you should be able to leave it on all the time. Obviously RES is for when it sputters out and you need to find a gas station quick. PRI is the primer setting which will allow fuel to fill the carb bowl if it has evaporated from sitting for too long, or other reasons, it will also allow you to drain the tank if needed. The stock petcock is a vacuum operated petcock and only flows fuel when the MC is running and the carb is providing vacuum, unless it is set in the PRI position which does not use vacuum, and does not leave you with any RESERVE if you run out.   Embarrassed

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/27/12 at 14:14:28

here's a link to the owners manual...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1138554254

They say the fins should warm to the touch

The bikes pretty light so you will feel things more readily.
To minimize that, make sure your fork tubes and shock rods are cleaned and lubed.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/27/12 at 16:24:40

You can take some preload out of the rear shocks.

What do you weigh?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
paul33329
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cheyenne, WY
Reply #4 - 04/27/12 at 22:07:36

Thanks for all the info and the downloaded manual.  It's been very helpful.  The strange thing is I still can't get the shocks to move.  Between the advise and the page in the manual it's clear what to do.  I put three different kinds of screw drivers in the hole on the side of the base of the spring(just like the picture in the manual) and i see the ring in the whole that is supposed to move, but it won't move.  All it does is get scratched up and I even scrape little pieces of metal off, but it doesn't move.  What is the trick?  A certain tool? Do I need to get the back tire off the ground?  Undecided

Paul Lews
Cheyenne, WY
2006 Suzuki S40
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 04/27/12 at 22:26:58

No trick... just make grunty noises...
I'm sure it's just a little more than you're giving it...

Try giving a tug, up, on rear fender, while you crank, if you must...

You ain't sitting on the bike while you do it, are ya'?... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 04/27/12 at 22:38:29

Take one shock off at a time
flip it upside down, spray a little oil on the cams.
then while still upside down put the top side mount on the top mount.
stick your screwdriver in the hole and twist.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/28/12 at 06:11:31

Take one shock off at a time.

YOU really dont want both off at the same time,,

Phillips screwdriver, not just thru the chrome skirt, deep it must go,,into the body of the shock, they dont turn the same direction either, IIRC.. have a look at how the ramp is set up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:23:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbee questions from the mechanically handycapped

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.