Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
transmission problem (Read 50 times)
baker87

ridin since 06

venus tx
transmission problem
04/26/12 at 21:17:50

my shifter hangs in different gears and i can grab the shifter and switch gears but it doesnt return to position..... and sometimes i have all 5 gears but it wont shift into lower gears, but sometimes it has 2 or 3 but will shift fine.... what am i missing here??? i am stumped as to what is wrong...

ride hard/live hard
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: transmission problem
Reply #1 - 04/26/12 at 21:24:42

Engine off, in Neutral, on a smooth level surface, put it in 1st, may need to rock the bike a bit, now go up thru the gears the same way, if it works okay that way, fire it up & work thru the same way.,just let the clutch out enough to feel the plates start to engage, itll go thru the gears that way, unless something is messed up inside,
I killed mine in 5th once at a lite, I know it will go down thru the gears real quick w/o moving more than a few inches,

How long you been riding? These things generally have great transmissions & may shift a little hard when new, but usually, the internals just dont fail,, bent shift rods arent real common, but they do happen.

Have you gotten rough with it to get it in gear at a lite?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/26/12 at 21:28:21

baker87 wrote on 04/26/12 at 21:17:50:
my shifter hangs in different gears and i can grab the shifter and switch gears but it doesnt return to position

check the shifter and linkage to make sure it's not rubbing anywhere.  A little bit of friction will cause it to hang up.
Quote:
..... and sometimes i have all 5 gears but it wont shift into lower gears, but sometimes it has 2 or 3 but will shift fine.... what am i missing here??? i am stumped as to what is wrong...

only able to shift up is usually a alignment problem of the little shift arm on the case.  try rotating it 1 or 2 splines.  And that little are is usually pointed straight down.

WWW   IP Logged
baker87

ridin since 06

venus tx
Reply #3 - 04/27/12 at 04:01:49

When i had my engine apart i checked the tranny assembly cause i didnt have 5th gear.... someone put an extra friction washer in the case on the clutch side.... and aparently im not the only person to be in the case.... the timing chain was new and the cam tensioner was new.... plus they installed a new oil pump.... with it setting there i can roll it through the gears.... but start it up and it wont go through them at all.... i taped my foot to the sfifter last night and it worked great... but thats not safe at all.... shifter linkage is not hanging up.....

ride hard/live hard
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:15:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › transmission problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.