Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torquing cylinder nuts every 3K? (Read 88 times)
mnefred
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Coupeville, WA
Torquing cylinder nuts every 3K?
04/26/12 at 15:57:07

Hi all,

I'm working on my initial service on my 2011 S40. According to both the owners manual and the shop manual, the cylinder stud/nut re-torque is to be done every three thousand miles? While I can certainly see doing it on the initial break-in service, this seems a little extreme to me for routine service. As best I can tell from searching the tech section, most folks are only pulling the valve cover for the oil plug leak? Does anyone know if the dealerships are actually doing this as part of the routine 3K service? And if not, is there some sort of service bulletin to authorize the change, thus keeping the warranty intact?

Thanks for ALL the help this board provides!!!   Mark

Mark & Evelyn
2011 S40 with Routy's FC's, Memphis Shade Slim w/s and lowers, Protac backrest, EBAY hard saddlebags
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Torquing cylinder nuts every 3K?
Reply #1 - 04/26/12 at 18:15:05

Suzuki wants you to pay $400 every few thousand miles to their service department.

Reality is that the 600 mile re torque has proven to be unnecessary (most bikes here have never had this done) as are all the rest of the mileage based re torques.

There are times you take the top cap off the cylinder head to do a oil plug fix or put in a cam, then,  when you are in there for another good reason, then yes, you do re torque the stud nuts.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/26/12 at 18:40:31

Ive got 20,000 miles on mine, never touched the head bolts. No leaks,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mnefred
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Coupeville, WA
Reply #3 - 04/29/12 at 23:17:02

I was at the dealership Friday, and asked them about this. The service writer looked it up on the computer, and was surprised to see it listed! Yep, their system also says every 3K. So she went and got a tech I definately think was a very senior, if not the senior tech in the shop.He was also surprised it was listed in the system, and admitted they have never done them as part of their service. Sounds to me like something I can quit worrying about.
He also told me that a lot of times, "Inspecting" the valves meant making sure she starts easy and idles smooth and quiet! He said if a bike isn't ridden hard, IE: long times near redline, it is not unusual to go 12K or more before needing an actual adjustment.

Mark & Evelyn
2011 S40 with Routy's FC's, Memphis Shade Slim w/s and lowers, Protac backrest, EBAY hard saddlebags
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:16:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Torquing cylinder nuts every 3K?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.