Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Re: Backfires & Afterfire gone completely!!! (Read 510 times)
Cookie1247
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Backfires & Afterfire gone completely!!!
04/26/12 at 06:32:25

This mod has never worked out as intended and has been replaced by a TEV-2 thread in the Tech Section which has never worked correctly either.   The original thread is locked and referenced to the second, but the second is still open for comment.   Neither thread meets the "tested & proven to work" TECH SECTION requirements, so both threads may eventually be moved out of Tech and back to RSD until someone figures out the whichness of the why and the things get fully developed.

I am also interested in this mod.  The S40 I have was "ported" by the previous owner and runs very well except for occasional backfiring.  I imagine the jets were modified but I have no idea nor record of what is in there now.  
The parts breakdown I am using  (http://www.suzukisavage.lt/upl/file/manual/PDF07-ls650-parts-list.pdf) shows spring #31 inside the diaphragm cover.  Spring #35 is on the choke side of the carb.  Since several discussion threads talk about the difficulty in removing the three Phillips screw on the diaphragm cover, can I assume we are talking about screw #31?

« Last Edit: 07/12/12 at 13:23:54 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Re: Backfires & Afterfire reduced somewhat
Reply #1 - 07/12/12 at 12:22:39

Cookie,  

On the first page of this thread it says spring #35 not #31.  Smiley

edit . . .but i dont know if theyre using the same schematic or not.  Lips Sealed

going by your break down image i assumed it would be spring #31, BUT. the link that was posted for ordering the new part shows a soring length of only 1.58" leading me to believe its spring #35 ??  Huh  

I plan on doing this mod as well so hopefully it will get cleared up as to which spring should be trimmed.

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #2 - 07/12/12 at 14:55:02

spring 31 the TEV is the spring you cut 10mm

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #3 - 11/02/13 at 12:59:51

Tried replacing the stock spring with a somewhat weaker spring I found on eBay. (1.85" long, but thinner wire than the original spring.) Once the bike is warmed up, it now has no backfires or shutdown afterfires. The idle is slightly uneven. However, when I first started it, the idle was too low, and the bike would almost stall at stop signs.

I'm going to try riding it again, cold, with the idle speed turned up a bit and the idle mix screw turned in one turn, from 3 to 2 turns out. I think this method will eventually work on my bike, which is completely stock and running at sea level. If I can't get a decent cold idle with the idle mix screw, I will try a spring somewhere between the stock spring and the one in there now.

The backfiring was getting to be too much in group rides, where people kept saying they thought someone was shooting at them until they realized the sound was coming from my bike. (And I wasn't shooting at them.)

- David
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 11/03/13 at 11:15:36

DavidOfMA wrote on 11/02/13 at 12:59:51:
Tried replacing the stock spring with a somewhat weaker spring I found on eBay. (1.85" long, but thinner wire than the original spring.) Once the bike is warmed up, it now has no backfires or shutdown afterfires. The idle is slightly uneven. However, when I first started it, the idle was too low, and the bike would almost stall at stop signs.

I'm going to try riding it again, cold, with the idle speed turned up a bit and the idle mix screw turned in one turn, from 3 to 2 turns out. I think this method will eventually work on my bike, which is completely stock and running at sea level. If I can't get a decent cold idle with the idle mix screw, I will try a spring somewhere between the stock spring and the one in there now.

The backfiring was getting to be too much in group rides, where people kept saying they thought someone was shooting at them until they realized the sound was coming from my bike. (And I wasn't shooting at them.)

A low idle will damage the motor.  Not enough oil gets up to the cam.  I have my idle set per the many old flatii recommendations here.  On the RYCA tach it is set at about 900 rpm.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 11/03/13 at 15:53:17

Well if the bike idles differently.....You have put a weak enough spring in so that the TEV is operating all the time.....not just during high vacuum.  This will probably make the bike run too rich.....as the TEV is supposed to only work when the throttle is closed abrubtly and the vacuum is really high and the mixture really lean.

I am expecting that your fuel mileage is going to be much worse.  The good news is....if this doesn't work out you know how to put it back where it was......or you can try and find a spring with tension somewhere between the two.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #6 - 11/03/13 at 20:14:18

The helpful thing I've learned is that if I can get a spring that's just strong enough to keep the TEV closed at idle, but that allows the mix to be richer on decel and shutoff, I should be able to eliminate most of the backfiring. I'll ride it as is for a couple of days this week to verify the idle issue. I have a spare stock spring I can trim down a little at a time to see if I can close in on the right length.

- David
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
TEV and overall "richness"?
Reply #7 - 11/04/13 at 04:33:33

One question: If the best backfiring setting does result in the TEV being somewhat open at all throttle settings, is it likely to have a major impact when the throttle is fairly open? Or will it function somewhat like a too-large pilot jet and affect mainly idle and low speed?

Thanks!

David

- David
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 11/04/13 at 04:59:09

I don't have a stock carb here anymore to look at....but my guess is that the TEV circuitry works only when the throttle butterfly is nearly closed.  When the butterfly is open the vacuum is stabilized by the CV slide and a really high vacuum condition will not exist....however if you have a very weak TEV spring there may be enough vacuum in normal operaton that the TEV is operating whenever the engine is running..

I don't know how much extra fuel the TEV suppilies...and how much that might affect the mixture at throttle settings other than idle.  You are exploring new ground and only time will tell.  For some reason your bike backfires more than normal.....so you might be trying to compensate for some other condition that causes your bike to backfire.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #9 - 11/04/13 at 06:27:32

Maybe so, but I have wracked my brains trying to find a cause for the backfiring. According to my brother, who bought the bike new, it backfired more when he got it than it does now, so it's possible there's a manufacturing tolerance (though it's not in the pilot jet, as I replaced that). The carb is clean, TEV is clean, no air leaks, stock everything except for Raptor petcock. All I have left to play with, I think, is the TEV.

I'll run it a couple days as is, if it's running boggy or gas mileage is awful, I'll try a slightly cut down stock spring, and if that fails, I guess I'll live with the backfiring. It's not bad if I'm riding solo, but when I ride with a group I'm frequently hitting the brakes and quickly backing off the throttle, as these guys ride a lot harder than I usually do!

Thanks for your advice and insights,
David

- David
  IP Logged
latony007
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/04/13 at 10:37:48

I wouldn't buy another one of these bikes for no other reason than the backfiring, its annoying and embarrassing and should not be "norm" for any bike.

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #11 - 11/04/13 at 17:08:53

1970s technology, mostly, that has to meet 2000's EPA requirements. It's amazing they haven't updated the design to conform more to current conditions. I can see how a 1986 Savage would have problems, but mine is a 2007. Hopefully, though, I'll finally get it fixed.

« Last Edit: 11/04/13 at 19:28:23 by DavidOfMA »  

- David
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #12 - 11/05/13 at 08:59:03

Did another test run with the new spring and bike behavior is not optimal. No backfiring, but it's a little boggy from idle to 30mph, idle drops briefly when I blip the throttle, and idle is a little uneven when bike is warmed up.

Clipped half a round from the stock spring and will try that tomorrow. Hopefully there's a spring strength that will eliminate backfires without the undesired side effects.

- David
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 11/05/13 at 09:37:21

If the TEV is affecting anything other than full throttle chop, decel... it's purpose is essentially defeated...
I'd be adjusting the slide,... which is also controlled by engine vacuum...

As it is,.. the two are interfering with each other...
JMHO...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #14 - 11/05/13 at 09:59:07

How do I adjust the slide? I did reposition the needle, with the white spacer mod, and that cleaned up the midrange, but I wasn't aware you could adjust the slide itself. What kind of slide adjustment would richen the mix on rapid decel or shutoff?

- David
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 06:46:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Backfires & Afterfire gone completely!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.