muffler build (Read 346 times)
aintright
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

eerie, pa
muffler build
04/25/12 at 20:14:00

so to start out, i'm not really one to buy something that i can build, that is unless it's just too time consuming. oh and i'm kind of a cheap bastard too

now that the preface is out of the way i'll start with what i am doing.

here's how i built my "drag style" exhaust.

after looking through dozens of different types of baffles i settled on a quiet core baffle from cobra
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/118/17363/ITEM/Cobra-Quiet-Core-Baf...

here's the link for the baffle.

next i measured the OD of the stock header which happens to be about 2"

a trip to the local auto parts store was in place, where i purchased 2.25 ID x18" tail pipe section, along with a 2.125" ID to 2" OD exhaust adapter.

from work i punched out a circle of perforated steel with 5/16 holes. the diameter of the steel was about 2.125"

here's a pic of the lay out

the little circle is the perf. steel

i then welded the perf. steel circle onto the larger end of the adapter like so

this was then slid over the stock header and welded

i drilled two 3/16 holes in the tail pipe section about 90* from each other to hold the baffle in. i then slid the baffle in about 2" from the end of the pipe and drilled two 5/32 holes into the baffle and used self taping screws to hold it in place

i just used an exhaust clamp to hold the pipe onto the header so i can tune it. i haven't had a chance to fire it up yet but i will hopefully tomorrow

here's the mock up

and on the bike

for mounting i'm reusing the stock mount, i don't have pics yet but i'll post up with how i cut it. i cut the mount with the studs in it off the stock muffler, then cut the rear most stud off, next i cut the mount on the frame in half, leaving just the forward most hole. then i cut the mount off and spun it to meet the where the muffler wants to sit

don't worry it's already been jetted according to the threads in the tech section and a jet kit courtesy of Lancer

a new battery box will be coming soon too

IP Logged
aintright
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

eerie, pa
Re: muffler build
Reply #1 - 04/25/12 at 20:15:19

i have some exhaust wrap also, the plan was to wrap the whole header and muffler, but it seems everyone just stops at the end of the header, can anyone tell me why that is?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/25/12 at 20:52:32

If youre willing to spend enough time on it, all youll have in it is your time & the materials. A Dyna costs about $20.00, looks good, sounds good & is a "known" part. Jetting wont be that big of a deal,

How many hours will it take? How much will you have in materials?
How long does it take to earn $20.00?

False economy,, interesting concept,, took me years to learn it.
IOW, Id buy a good lookin Dyna & put it on,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
aintright
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

eerie, pa
Reply #3 - 04/26/12 at 03:31:04

i'm just not a fan of how the dyna looks, plus the sound bytes i've listened to didn't impress me much either.

i like the look and sound of the jardine, but i'm not spending $170 for a slip on muffler.

i've got about $45 into it now and maybe 2 hours, which includes having to cut the tip off twice because i forgot to put the thing on that bolts the header to the motor, then i welded it at the wrong angle.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 04/26/12 at 04:01:04

aintright wrote on 04/26/12 at 03:31:04:
i'm just not a fan of how the dyna looks, plus the sound bytes i've listened to didn't impress me much either.

i like the look and sound of the jardine, but i'm not spending $170 for a slip on muffler.

i've got about $45 into it now and maybe 2 hours, which includes having to cut the tip off twice because i forgot to put the thing on that bolts the header to the motor, then i welded it at the wrong angle.

which includes having to cut the tip off twice because i forgot to put the thing on that bolts the header to the motor,

Dontchya hate that? I flared more than one piece of copper tubing to discover the nut wasnt on yet..but, that doesnt hurt as bad as getting all carried away getting just the right ratio of lettuce & onion & pickle & tomato on a cheeseburger & forgetting the meat,,
Twice,, ( not the same day, thank God!)

then i welded it at the wrong angle

Bummer..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
aintright
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

eerie, pa
Reply #5 - 04/27/12 at 03:37:20

hahaha, can't say i ever forgot the meat in a burger, but i did try to put it back in the fridge to heat it up instead of the microwave. on more than one occasion

oh and no progress was made on the muffler, there was a needed impromptu trip to buffalo ny to see the reverend horton heat

IP Logged
aintright
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

eerie, pa
Reply #6 - 04/30/12 at 18:52:23

so everything is done on the muffler it's all mounted up. a new exhaust clamp is on the way, one that will actually seal the muffler so i can start to tune it.

per the recommendations in the tech section for jetting. i started with a 55 pilot and 152.5 main, 1/4 spacer and 3/4 turn on the idle mixture screw.

with that it was actually spitting out fuel from the muffler, i think. i turned the idle mix screw down to the stock location and nothing more came out.

i haven't had a chance to take it for a spin yet to see how it runs, but my initial feeling is i'm going to have to add some more resistance to the muffler.

i tried to make a video from my phone, but being to close to the bike and in the garage it was too loud for the phone to capture the sound and it just cuts out

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 05/01/12 at 03:29:38

well,, that aintright..

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 05/01/12 at 03:40:23

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/26/12 at 04:01:04:
.but, that doesnt hurt as bad as getting all carried away getting just the right ratio of lettuce & onion & pickle & tomato on a cheeseburger & forgetting the meat,,

Bummer..

...and that just ain't right, neither... Huh...

PS... I'd reduce the pilot... or go to 1/2 on the spacer... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #9 - 05/01/12 at 04:23:49

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/26/12 at 04:01:04:
aintright wrote on 04/26/12 at 03:31:04:

which includes having to cut the tip off twice because i forgot to put the thing on that bolts the header to the motor,

Dontchya hate that? I flared more than one piece of copper tubing to discover the nut wasnt on yet..but, that doesnt hurt as bad as getting all carried away getting just the right ratio of lettuce & onion & pickle & tomato on a cheeseburger & forgetting the meat,,

then i welded it at the wrong angle

Bummer..

I got fired from my first job as a cook at A&W for forgetting to put the meat in a few burgers. Embarrassed

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 05/01/12 at 04:37:07

I really cant say much, can I? Smiley Well,, except for Ouch,,
Hey, at least ya didnt leave the weenie out of the hot dogs,,
Besides, you didnt really want that job anyway, did ya?

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/01/12 at 07:07:06

Are you going to add a sound bite? I like it, always nice to see creative thinking!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 05/01/12 at 08:39:27

Drifter wrote on 05/01/12 at 07:07:06:
Are you going to add a sound bite? I like it, always nice to see creative thinking!

Aintright said

i tried to make a video from my phone, but being to close to the bike and in the garage it was too loud for the phone to capture the sound and it just cuts out.

He tried, but he bit off more than he could chew

IP Logged
aintright
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

eerie, pa
Reply #13 - 05/01/12 at 14:35:55

yeah a sound byte will be coming soon.

thanks for the heads up on reducing the pilot. i'm going to try to ad to the spacer first and see how that goes.

there is a slight loss in power, but not much. it seems to be in the low end.
i do like the sound though, nice decently low note and it doesn't drone on the road either.

when revved up, sometimes a bit of black smoke puffs out.

IP Logged
aintright
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

eerie, pa
Reply #14 - 05/02/12 at 20:55:16

ok. so now that it is tuned properly. (my idle mix screw was out more  than i thought) i'm getting blueish white smoke coming out of the exhaust when idling. after the engine is warm.  

i tried out the top end and did lose a few mph, but when i let off the throttle the motor died.  the header isn't blueing yet. but the weld at the end of the header and the clamp on the muffler sure are.

i'm thinking i may need to up the main jet to a 155. it's at 152.5 right now. idle mix screw is 3/4 out with 1/4 white spacer.

what does everyone think?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:30:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › muffler build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.