Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First post, just saying Hi (Read 84 times)
lch2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

First post, just saying Hi
04/25/12 at 10:56:50

Hello everyone

New member from Costa Rica
Just joined the forum and wanted to say Hi

I recently bought an 86 650cc Savage, not running, supposed to be recently overhauled, however the mechanic did not get it to start.

My findings:

- Starter clutch engaged two way, this one is already solved, replaced with a stronger unit from another bike.
- Decompresion Solenoid not working, and and starter relay gone, starter relay replaced by a bigger one, checked the decompression controller (toasted) so I rewired the solenoid to hit at the same time of the starter.
- eliminated clutch safety switch, and stand switch
- While mounting the clutch starter, I saw the wiring from the pickup coil being kind of loose, just moved them and one of them came apart, all this wiring redone.
- Removed the charcoal canister

After a couple of days, I get it to start, know I'm in the process of tune it up, as I think the mechanic that put together the engine did a lousy job, I think it needs a valve calibration, and to retorque the head, (I don't even know if it is torqued to speficication, as I see some minimum oil coming down in between the cylinder and the head)

Will keep posting as I have time to keep working on it, and maybe take it to the street for a few testing down the road

See you later!

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Re: First post, just saying Hi
Reply #1 - 04/25/12 at 11:03:45

Let me be the first to say WELCOME and CONGRATS! These are fun bikes to ride and work on... at times!  Just feel free to ask questions as they come up. There are people here with any knowledge you want/need and even some  you don't want/need!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
lch2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/25/12 at 11:07:52

Thanks a lot Chopped

I have already gone through a lot of postings on this forum, and you are correct, there is tons of information and lots of people willing to help

Great forum!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/25/12 at 11:52:03

You should switch the decomp separately.
The decomp solenoid should activate only for a half second.
Or once the engine rotates, the decomp can be deactivated.
And most of the time, doesn't need to be used at all.

One critical issue with the '86 is the starter.  On shut down, the engine can stop on the compression stroke and rotate backwards.  This will jam the starter and break the mounting for it.  It's recommended to shut down while stoped, hold the front brake, shut the engine off and release the clutch slowly while in gear.  This will stop the engine quicker and not allow it rotate backwards.

WWW   IP Logged
lch2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/25/12 at 14:25:36

verslagen1 wrote on 04/25/12 at 11:52:03:

One critical issue with the '86 is the starter.  On shut down, the engine can stop on the compression stroke and rotate backwards.  This will jam the starter and break the mounting for it.  It's recommended to shut down while stoped, hold the front brake, shut the engine off and release the clutch slowly while in gear.  This will stop the engine quicker and not allow it rotate backwards.

Got it, many thanks for this, I did noticed some kind of knock sound when shutting down the engine, will shut it down the way you suggested, also will wire the decom solenoid differently, or will manage to arrange some sort of manual lever (in order not to add any additional switch!)

Thanks a lot for the advise!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/25/12 at 14:31:28

lch2 wrote on 04/25/12 at 14:25:36:
verslagen1 wrote on 04/25/12 at 11:52:03:

Got it, many thanks for this, I did noticed some kind of knock sound when shutting down the engine, will shut it down the way you suggested, also will wire the decom solenoid differently, or will manage to arrange some sort of manual lever (in order not to add any additional switch!)

Thanks a lot for the advise!

If you put a separate switch or lever for the decomp, when you shut down just activate the decomp to be safe.  Then you won't need to brake the engine to stop.

WWW   IP Logged
lch2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/25/12 at 14:46:08

Absolutely!, that's what I'm doing, separate switch or lever, and two problems solved at the same time!

thanks a lot!

IP Logged
lch2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/25/12 at 14:54:09

On a side note, please forgive me if a make a terrible mistake on the writing, as English is not my native language!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 04/25/12 at 15:21:22

lch2 wrote on 04/25/12 at 14:54:09:
On a side note, please forgive me if a make a terrible mistake on the writing, as English is not my native language!

Your English is better than many for whom it's supposed to be their native tongue.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 04/25/12 at 15:34:55

ONE little grammatical error & you will be banished to the dark side of the moon, FOREVER!

Sounds like youre a pretty good mechanic. Youll have a lot of fun with your new ride,,Welcome to the forum,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
lch2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/26/12 at 08:55:40

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/25/12 at 15:34:55:

Sounds like youre a pretty good mechanic. Youll have a lot of fun with your new ride,,Welcome to the forum,

No mechanic here, just someone with a few tools and a few limited skills, that likes to jump into problems and try to get them fixed!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:25:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First post, just saying Hi

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.