Send Topic Print
First Ride Report.... (Read 224 times)
gcsdls

Midlife...about
time!

Arkansas
First Ride Report....
04/23/12 at 18:43:28

First ride report: Got the license plates, title transfer, and the insurance today...so now I'm ready to ride. Was a little nervous at first. Cranking up and taking off I found that first gear was a little taller than the 250 I rode at the MSF course. This engine is torquey, but doesn't like to rev. And boy, does it vibrate!

I don't think the guy ever tuned it up, and I'm wondering about the fuel delivery as it tended to surge going down the road. Had it up to 35 mph at one point, in 3rd gear. Didn't go any faster 'cause that was the speed limit, and I was in our neighborhood, not on the highway.

I'm going to give it a tune-up soon, and give it a thorough going-over.

Funny...with the stock exhaust on it, it sounds kinda like a big lawn mower. Cheesy

Our neighborhood has about 5 parallel streets, surrounded by the main neighborhood roads, one of which we live on. I took the bike down the hill and turned left into the neighborhood. Forgot to cancel the turn signals at first, and beeped the horn when I remembered. Smiley Hello neighbors!

Found that my rearview mirrors show a wonderful view...of my shoulders. I can't angle them to see past me. I guess I'm just a wide guy. Undecided We'll have to work on that.

I rode down two of the parallel neighborhood streets in addition to the surround roads, including our road. All left turns today. There's one sharp turn that I don't yet want to try going to the right. I'll work up to that one.

On the two parallel streets, there were a total of 3 dogs that chased me. Boy, they were having fun. I found out these dogs can't run faster than 25-30 mph.

After making a couple of laps, I came back home. My wife tells me that I look like a normal guy on the bike...not like an elephant on a tricycle, like I was picturing. That's good. She didn't get a view from behind, though. Cheesy

So, home again safe...fun stuff! I have broken the ice!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: First Ride Report....
Reply #1 - 04/23/12 at 19:26:52

congrats
gcsdls wrote on 04/23/12 at 18:43:28:
First ride report: Got the license plates, title transfer, and the insurance today...so now I'm ready to ride. Was a little nervous at first. Cranking up and taking off I found that first gear was a little taller than the 250 I rode at the MSF course. This engine is torquey, but doesn't like to rev. And boy, does it vibrate!

check the engine mounting bolts
Quote:
I don't think the guy ever tuned it up, and I'm wondering about the fuel delivery as it tended to surge going down the road.
might benefit from the white spacer mod
Quote:
Had it up to 35 mph at one point, in 3rd gear. Didn't go any faster 'cause that was the speed limit, and I was in our neighborhood, not on the highway.

I'm going to give it a tune-up soon, and give it a thorough going-over.

Funny...with the stock exhaust on it, it sounds kinda like a big lawn mower. Cheesy

Found that my rearview mirrors show a wonderful view...of my shoulders. I can't angle them to see past me. I guess I'm just a wide guy. Undecided We'll have to work on that.

you must have drag bars... get a set of 30" wide bars
Quote:
After making a couple of laps, I came back home. My wife tells me that I look like a normal guy on the bike...not like an elephant on a tricycle, like I was picturing. That's good. She didn't get a view from behind, though. Cheesy

don't ask don't tell

WWW   IP Logged
gcsdls

Midlife...about
time!

Arkansas
Reply #2 - 04/24/12 at 06:25:47

Here's the bike.  I don't know what kind of bars they are...I thought they were stock.

Thanks for the advice about the engine mounts.  I'll check that.  

Smiley

thumper_1.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/24/12 at 09:16:20

Tune up? How many miles on it? Run some Sea Foam thru it, about 2 oz on a full tank,,may need that a coupla times,, Ive always dodged such stuff,, but it cured a nasty injector knock on the back hoe & seriously smoothed out an old pickup, so, now, it goes a dash here & there in everything old that I have.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gcsdls

Midlife...about
time!

Arkansas
Reply #4 - 04/24/12 at 09:19:17

It's got 10,600 on it, and the previous owner just changed the oil.  Should have gotten another spark plug at 7500 or so.  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 04/24/12 at 10:35:18

Honey, does this bike make my a55 look fat?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gcsdls

Midlife...about
time!

Arkansas
Reply #6 - 04/24/12 at 14:10:47

Yeah, that's it.  Smiley

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #7 - 04/24/12 at 18:50:44

Welcome. I saw your introduction over in the other section. I also am a first time rider (at 62, not 49...trade ya anytime) and just completed the MSF course. Bought an 07 S40. I rode about 50 miles around the same few blocks over several days working on just trying to be smooth. starts and stops, and keeping my head up. It was a lot easier, particulary the throttle control and shifting with the S40 than the nasty little 250cc bike I used during training.

Anyway, last week I ventured out of the neighborhood on some two lane roads with speed limits ranging from 40 to 55. Once I got past the Oh S*** response the first time I hit 55, it was actually quite satisfying. Keep after it and let me know if you find a solution to the mirror issue. I have the same restricted view.

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
gcsdls

Midlife...about
time!

Arkansas
Reply #8 - 04/24/12 at 19:06:51

Blinky-FSO wrote on 04/24/12 at 18:50:44:
It was a lot easier, particulary the throttle control and shifting with the S40 than the nasty little 250cc bike I used during training.

This makes me think even more that there's something wrong with my bike.  LOTS of vibration is making it very unpleasant to ride...and it's certainly not better than the Nighthawk I rode during the MSF course.  This is troubling.  

I'll let you know if I come up with an answer to the rearview mirror problem.  I did spend some time adjusting the mirrors this evening, but I didn't ride afterward.  I'll ride again tomorrow. I tried to see if possibly the motor mounts were loose...but it looks like they're tight.  So I don't know what the problem is.  

Thanks for the welcome!  Better late than never on the riding, eh?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 04/24/12 at 19:33:31

Makje sure the foot peg bolts are tight & theres a couple above the head, under the tank. Never seen them be loose, but the peg bolts loose are a known problem.,

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #10 - 04/24/12 at 19:39:34

Quote:
Better late than never on the riding, eh?

I agree. If I have to break a hip, I would rather it be from a spectacular slide off a a Suzuki than by tripping over the cat or slipping in the shower.

I will let the guys that really know the gear work with you on the vibration and surging. My bike has only 3700 miles and has a very linear throttle and no surge.

best regards

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
gcsdls

Midlife...about
time!

Arkansas
Reply #11 - 04/25/12 at 17:58:17

Took another ride tonight...and I can tell there's only a little vibration in the engine.  Rough ride was still there when I pulled in the clutch and let the motor idle down.  Most of the jarring vibration seems to be coming from the handlebars, and the front end.  I think the suspension is way undersprung for me.  Seems like I'm jarring on every little pebble in the road, at least when I get up to speed.  I think also that the engine is stumbling a little (like with a dirty carburetor), and when it does, it jolts the driveline forward and back.  Same thing when it lugs a bit.  All this together makes it feel on one stretch like I'm riding a buckboard down a washboard road...but maybe I exaggerate.  

I can't tell you how happy I am that it isn't the engine, though.  I was looking at the options if it were...and coming up short.  There's no such thing as a remanufactured engine for a motorcycle (unless you have a Harley).  There's no such thing as a crate engine for a motorcycle (ex. Harley).  If you rebuild your own engine...better hope the basic block is in good shape, or you're out of luck.  Undecided

Well, I think this bike is a keeper after all...but I do think it's going to need a little work.  Smiley

Thanks to all of you who gave suggestions.  I appreciate it!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 04/25/12 at 20:59:02

You keepin it in a low enough gear when youre rolling slow?

IP Logged
scottnj

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

the 'Nati, OH
Reply #13 - 04/25/12 at 21:17:15

Quote:
You keepin it in a low enough gear when youre rolling slow?

+1 for that thought.  If the motor's bogging down because you're in too high a gear for the speed it'll shake the bejeebers out of you (more throttle = more shaky) unless you shift to a lower gear.

I don't find the S40 vibrations to be too bad -- it's a single but it does have a counterbalancer that makes it tolerable.  I see enough vibration at low rpm (idle) to create some mirror buzz, and at to top of the rpm range it's a little buzzy, but for most of the rev range it's not all that noticeable to me.  Give it a little more gas and see if she smooths out for you!

2007 S40 (Supertrapp, 6" Ed. L forward controls, K&N, & some other stuff)
  IP Logged
scottnj

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

the 'Nati, OH
Reply #14 - 04/25/12 at 21:27:36

Quote:
Found that my rearview mirrors show a wonderful view...of my shoulders. I can't angle them to see past me.

I had the same problem at first.  Did you just adjust just the actual mirrors themselves by hand, or did you try loosening the bolts down where the stalks (not sure if that's the right word) attach to the bars as well?  From the pics looks like your mirrors are pretty far back towards you.  I loosened up the bolts at the bottoms of the stalks and rotated the stalks forward a couple of inches so that the mirrors were ahead of the bars.  After that I could adjust to see around my wide shoulders.  Wider bars would really do the trick, but you may be able to adjust what you've got a little more and see if it helps.

2007 S40 (Supertrapp, 6" Ed. L forward controls, K&N, & some other stuff)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 11:16:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › First Ride Report....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.