Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
tractor bobber by a mad german (Read 619 times)
panadero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

tractor bobber by a mad german
04/23/12 at 02:34:33

hi there guys, i've been following a alot of topics on here for a while and recently joined up since i started to rebuild my 1988 savage into a bobber using only tractor bits and pieces, have a steady progress and have everything ready to paint by next week, now my big question, what colo (u) rf should i use, i'll post photos of the bike tomorrow, as for now, i used old tractor lever guides as a rear fender, a tractor foot rest as a numberplate holder and use a tractor seat and battery box is made out of old tractor bits also.

cheers andre from new zealand

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: tractor bobber by a mad german
Reply #1 - 04/23/12 at 02:42:41

Surely you are using John Deere green and yellow

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/23/12 at 04:54:52

Sounds like an interesting build. Id think the tractor seat is a practical idea. Color? Thats such a personal taste thing, I dont see how I could hope to tell you what youre gonna want to walk up to your bike seeing,,
Now, if youve got a few ideas & want to know "Out of these colors, which do you guys think would look the best",, yea, Id toss my choice out,

What are you going for? Is being seen at the very top of the list or is traffic not so scary where you are? Heck,, Ive seen places I wouldnt ride if the thing was Day Glo Orange,,

If youre going "Old School" looks, I sure did like the Schwinn bicycle color schemes from the 50's & 60's.

I dont think Ive ever seen a Black with Gold pin striped Anything I didnt like,,

Ive seen 50's hot rods pink & gray that looked great,

& then theres a spray can of truck bed liner or undercoat..

That otta be easy & durable.,

If its not a show piece, get that thing painted & get to riding,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Finney138

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/23/12 at 10:57:12

You should make a up stack exhaust with a flipper thing that keeps water and stuff out, I always wanted to do that on a bike, and this would be perfect for it

IP Logged
Scott McCrory

Thumper newbie

Columbus Ohio USA
Reply #4 - 04/23/12 at 12:54:42

Finney138 wrote on 04/23/12 at 10:57:12:
You should make a up stack exhaust with a flipper thing that keeps water and stuff out, I always wanted to do that on a bike, and this would be perfect for it

Love the idea!  I can't wait until panadero posts pictures! Smiley

On a similar tangent, I'd love to build a steampunk thumper and hope an old fixer-upper comes up in Ohio - https://www.google.com/search?q=steampunk+motorcycle&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=...

2006 Suzuki S40 Boulevard
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #5 - 04/23/12 at 13:19:41

If you run an upswept exhaust, make sure there is nothing behind you that you want to stay clean. The flappers make it worse  because they hold heat in increasing condensation & it gets all over anything behind you when you start first thing in the morning. If its' Straight up Prepare for a nasty shower.... Angry

Don't ask... :'(

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Scott McCrory

Thumper newbie

Columbus Ohio USA
Reply #6 - 04/23/12 at 16:09:23

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 04/23/12 at 13:19:41:
If you run an upswept exhaust, make sure there is nothing behind you that you want to stay clean. The flappers make it worse  because they hold heat in increasing condensation & it gets all over anything behind you when you start first thing in the morning. If its' Straight up Prepare for a nasty shower.... Angry

Could you drill a small hole at the bottom?  Not enough to lose any measurable pressure, but enough to let moisture drain out?

IP Logged
panadero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/23/12 at 16:14:42

hi guys, thanks for the help so far, i have got a rain exhaust cap from the tractor yard also which is already fitted to the straight pipe.....i always liked the idea and given the "theme" it suits well, also trhe bike will be my daily driver,  i used to have bigger bikes in germany but i live now in new zealand and the road conditions aren't as good as the autobahn Smiley

the colour ideas are so far, flatt black, gun metal grey or a dark blue, i'll post some photos later on today, once i figgured out how to make the photos smaller to fit on here Smiley

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 04/23/12 at 16:23:44

Mine is Kubota type 1 orange and Cub Cadet Beige. Used to be all Kubota Type 2 orange.

Want to stay "loud" colorwise? Allis Chalmers orange, Moline orange, International red, New Holland blue. Offset with Cub Cadet beige or Massey Ferguson silver.

Classier? Think Fordson red or blue with the same era dove gray. Or Oliver green and red.

I live in farm country, can't help it... Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #9 - 04/23/12 at 16:49:34

Scott McCrory wrote on 04/23/12 at 16:09:23:
RidgeRunner13 wrote on 04/23/12 at 13:19:41:

Could you drill a small hole at the bottom?  Not enough to lose any measurable pressure, but enough to let moisture drain out?

Yep, a 1/8" hole drilled at the lowest point helped but never stopped it all. After about a year of having exhaust condensation drip it became about a 3/8" hole. A lot of the water apparently was in the muffler & didn't drain out the hole. Undecided Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 04/23/12 at 17:09:37

Ive always like G. M. Grey,,

Heck,, I like Navy grey, as in battleship.

But my favorite grey?

http://www.perfectpeople.net/photo-picture-image-media/Jennifer-Grey-403x340-...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Scott McCrory

Thumper newbie

Columbus Ohio USA
Reply #11 - 04/23/12 at 17:38:00

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 04/23/12 at 16:49:34:
Yep, a 1/8" hole drilled at the lowest point helped but never stopped it all. After about a year of having exhaust condensation drip it became about a 3/8" hole. A lot of the water apparently was in the muffler & didn't drain out the hole. Undecided Cool

Ah, interesting.  I imagine a descending main muffler slope might help?

IP Logged
panadero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/24/12 at 13:19:21

here two photos, first is how the bike looked last week and second is how my rear fender looks and the mounting for it and the two breckets and the rubber bits is were the tractor seat sits on.

DSCF0041_640x427.jpg
  IP Logged
panadero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/24/12 at 13:21:59

this is how my rear fender looks and the mounting for it and the two breckets and the rubber bits is were the tractor seat sits on.

DSCF0050_640x427.jpg
  IP Logged
panadero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/03/12 at 01:15:23

sorted wireing, hooked  up indicators, finished exhaust, installed drag bars.....almost finished now!

DSCF0056_427x640.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:26:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tractor bobber by a mad german

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.