Send Topic Print
"External" speedometer (Read 134 times)
DNLMusik
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

"External" speedometer
04/23/12 at 00:54:05

So now that I'm putting a custom after market tank on the savage I will have to get a new speedometer.

I'm looking for a bar mounted tight clean looking speedometer and was wondering if you guys know what type of speedometer I should be looking for if I want to use the stock cable for it. Is it even possible?

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: "External" speedometer
Reply #1 - 04/23/12 at 04:22:05

I don't know, but if you're just after the speed and odometer information, its hard to beat a Bike speedo w/ mags on the front wheel.
I know mine works perfectly, even tho I don't use it for gas stops like I had intended it for, only b/c I can't seem to remember to reset it when I refuel.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/23/12 at 04:33:41

I am going to get rid of the stock tank and speedo - and may use one of these available from Trail Tech.  They can be mounted in a dash board that includes lights that can be used for turn signals, high beam or nuetral light.
http://trailtech.net/vapor.html

You could also use the speedometer available from RYCA.
http://shop.rycamotors.com/mini_speedometer.html

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #3 - 04/23/12 at 05:19:28

How about this one ?

Plenty of these on ebay and custom bike marketplaces, and you can fit the matching tachometer as well.

They come in both black and white, and with luck you can find the speedo with a tripmeter as well.

Only point is, they come with a 140mph scale which is wishful thinking on the Savage...

I have two in my garage (cardoboard box full of junk Grin) one with, one without the tripmeter.

I understand the Suzuki GS/GSX tachometer cable will fit the gearbox.mounted speedo pickup, but... is the "mph x turn" ratio compatible?

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/23/12 at 12:23:01

No matter what you get, I doubt you'll be able to connect the stock speedo cable to anything that mounts to your bars.
Maybe if you make some fancy bracket to mount it along the side of the fuel tank?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 04/23/12 at 14:01:39

Dave wrote on 04/23/12 at 04:33:41:
I am going to get rid of the stock tank and speedo - and may use one of these available from Trail Tech.  They can be mounted in a dash board that includes lights that can be used for turn signals, high beam or nuetral light.
http://trailtech.net/vapor.html

You could also use the speedometer available from RYCA.
http://shop.rycamotors.com/mini_speedometer.html

I like the Ryca alternative.  Also available is one from http://www.veypor.com/.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #6 - 04/23/12 at 15:21:50

teabowl13 wrote on 04/23/12 at 12:23:01:
No matter what you get, I doubt you'll be able to connect the stock speedo cable to anything that mounts to your bars.
Maybe if you make some fancy bracket to mount it along the side of the fuel tank?

I understand the Suzuki GS/GSX tachometer cable will fit the gearbox-mounted speedo pickup, but... is the "mph x turn" ratio compatible?

This is from info I got years ago on this site.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:32:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "External" speedometer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.