Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
octane (Read 242 times)
2011suzukis40
Ex Member

octane
04/22/12 at 05:14:15

Which octane is best for my 2011 suzuki s40? The dealership says you can use 87 but "it likes 91". The manuel says atleast 87. I have ran 1 tank of 87 octane and it ran good. I put 89 octane in it and seemed to run better. I last filled up with 91 but havent ridden since. Does anyone know what is best for the bike?

thanks

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: octane
Reply #1 - 04/22/12 at 05:27:23

Compression ratio is the primary indicator for what octane fuel to use.
The LS650 engine in stock form has a ratio of 8.5:1 and 87 octane is the appropriate fuel.  If your engine is running lean, and therefore hotter, that may affect the need for going to 89 octane, but I am not sure if that is a fact.
You should ask Oldfeller about this, he is much more knowledgeable than I am in this type of tech detail.  

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 04/22/12 at 06:21:13

Regular unleaded...
Any performance gain from higher octane in this bike will be imagined, it just doesn't have the compression to require anti-knock additive.
... and fuel without added anti-knock additive, naturally has more burnable fuel in it... (only a small difference, but.. more)...
Higher compression engines don't use high-octane gas because it makes more power,... they use it because the regular gas would pre-detonate at the compression level they are using...

« Last Edit: 04/23/12 at 23:41:29 by Serowbot »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
2011suzukis40
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/22/12 at 12:52:28

2011suzukis40 wrote on 04/22/12 at 05:14:15:
Which octane is best for my 2011 suzuki s40? The dealership says you can use 87 but "it likes 91". The manuel says atleast 87. I have ran 1 tank of 87 octane and it ran good. I put 89 octane in it and seemed to run better. I last filled up with 91 but havent ridden since. Does anyone know what is best for the bike?

thanks

Will higher octane hurt my engine???

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 04/22/12 at 13:04:20

The higher the octane, the less tendency it has to detonate. Detonation is when a fuel will auto-ignite - that means it will ignite from heat and compression alone, without spark. This only happens on higher-compression engines. If your engine doesn't have a high enough compression ratio, higher octane gas will not make your bike run better. In fact, it's possible your bike will have less power because engines typically run with a small bit of detonation which creates multiple flame fronts - this means the fuel ignited in multiple spots, not just from the spark.

In short, no, you can not damage an engine with high octane gas. High octane gas doesn't burn hotter, it doesn't contain more energy, it doesn't burn cleaner; it just resists detonation. That's it.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 04/22/12 at 13:17:19

Ditto what Cavi said,.. and a tankful won't hurt...
... but, for the reasons Cavi stated... constant use could build up some carbon in the head over time...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 04/22/12 at 15:47:23

Thank goodness I finally found a website were people understand what higher Octane fuel is for.  I hate hearing false rumors about higher octane fuel burnng hotter, making more power, etc.....when I know it doesn't.

Running regular is fine.......run some 89 if you want when the summer temperature goes over 90......but you may not have to.  The thing to listen for is "detonation"- if you hear it when you roll on the throttle under a load it means the mixture is wrong or the fuel is too low of octane.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Realbtl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bigfork MT
Reply #7 - 04/22/12 at 16:28:16

This raises an interesting question for me.  Here in Montana I can often get non-ethanol gas though it's almost always premium.  I usually go for the "real" gas.  Is there any consensus out there on this?  Thanks

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 04/22/12 at 17:04:15

I still run regular gas.   In NC regular means 10% ethanol by law, and ethanol effectively raises the overall knock rating of the fuel (it is listed in the anti-knock additives on our listings) even as it reduces the regular fuel's energy potential (alcohol is a thinner, weaker, cooler burning fuel compared to gasoline).

Unless you put in a hot high compression piston you really don't need to run premium gas in a Savage.

Premium gas around here has sat around in various tanks for a VERY LONG time -- nobody ever buys it, so it isn't fresh gas by anybody's guesstimation.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #9 - 04/23/12 at 13:22:12

I bump the Octane up 2 points in everything I own, in the heat of summer.  100 plus degrees and less than 15% humidity is on the edge of being extreme. Smiley  Last winter I accidently ended up filling up with 85, and didn't have a problem, although I wouldn't make a habit of it.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 04/23/12 at 14:15:21

Yeah, higher octane is to inhibit predetonation in cases of either high compression or high heat.  The compression in our bikes is not sufficient to warrant it.  I have considered using higher octane in the heat of summer but I'm not sure whether riding my air-cooled single in 100+ degree TX heat is sufficient to require the higher octane or not.  I have not noticed any knocking or pinging though.

When it comes to non-ethanol fuel, if I had it available, I believe I'd use it... at least in my bike and any small engines like lawnmowers, chainsaws, etc.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 04/23/12 at 15:41:25

Mine always ran best on the cheapest garbage gas I could find. Has always been fed a steady diet of 10% ethanol blend and other than needing to change the fuel line every other year had no problems. Which you should really do anyway on an aircooled bike, the line does get crispy over time. Especially the ultra flimsy stock gas line.

When it gets hot, my bike gets a really diluted 2 stroke mix. 1/2 ounce of cheap ATF every 2nd or 3rd tank. Doesn't seem to have as much decel popping. And less fuel tank rust. Have been using it since new (2/98). Does it hurt it? No. Does it need it? No. Does it help it? No clue, but I haven't had some of the common cheap gas issues (petcock failures, slide scuffing, etc).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 04/23/12 at 17:26:51

Nothin wrong with a little slickum in the pushmoline,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #13 - 04/23/12 at 23:23:36

im at 4500 elev
once the jetting was rite have had no props
the GRAND MESA is our valleys(4500) eastern wall..
have had no props goin up and over it every year since o6

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 04/24/12 at 10:03:41

WD wrote on 04/23/12 at 15:41:25:
Mine always ran best on the cheapest garbage gas I could find. Has always been fed a steady diet of 10% ethanol blend and other than needing to change the fuel line every other year had no problems. Which you should really do anyway on an aircooled bike, the line does get crispy over time. Especially the ultra flimsy stock gas line.

When it gets hot, my bike gets a really diluted 2 stroke mix. 1/2 ounce of cheap ATF every 2nd or 3rd tank. Doesn't seem to have as much decel popping. And less fuel tank rust. Have been using it since new (2/98). Does it hurt it? No. Does it need it? No. Does it help it? No clue, but I haven't had some of the common cheap gas issues (petcock failures, slide scuffing, etc).

Yeah, I used to run a little MMO in previous bikes every now and then.  Haven't done it in this one yet but probably will start, now that it's been brought back to memory.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 18:36:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › octane

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.