Send Topic Print
bad oil leak (Read 175 times)
BelizeanBanman

Just ridin' my
Savage.

bad oil leak
04/22/12 at 01:28:07

Hi guys

I have a problem, and this seems to be the right place to ask for help. My savage has a stripped bolt on the valve cover. The bolt to the right and the back. Kinda long one. Anyways, so my plan was to just cover up the hole, but everything I've tried so far has failed miserably. Initially I tried inserting the bolt and using locktite, as there was still slight gripping. Oil still came spurting out. Then several layers of UltraGrey silicon, also useless. JB Weld didn't do anything either. After every drive, oil is all over the engine, way to the back of the bike, and every morning there is a next spot of oil in my garage. My question is, what should I do? Anything would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank thanks

-Roger

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: bad oil leak
Reply #1 - 04/22/12 at 04:13:42

The right rear bolt hole is also an oil passageway, and because of that if the bolt is not able to be tightened down so the washer on the bolt can make the seal at the top it will leak oil.  
I had some stripped threads on mine after the dealership did some work on the bike.  It sort of worked for a while but over time became more and more loose and leaked more.  I finally tried finding a bolt slightly longer; even ground the head cover down a little around the hole to let the bolt go down more and catch a fresh thread or two so it could hold tight enough.  That worked fairly well for a little while but still seeped some oil, and eventually pulled those threads out.  
I ended up drilling and installing steel thread inserts  in that hole and others when I had the engine apart.
Some folks have just replaced the stock bolt with a longer threaded stud so it could go down into the deeper threads and get a good hold, put a fresh "sealing" washer on it and lock washer and a nut.  The last time I heard anyone discuss that solution they seemed to be happy with the result.
It is the quickest and easiest solution so I would give that a try first.

Just be sure you have the "sealing" washer on there when you install the bolt or stud.  I think I used a nylon washer for a while because that was what I had on hand at the time and it worked ok for me.  I'm not sure of the material makeup of the stock washer, it just needs to be able to seal the oil when everything is torqued down.

IP Logged
BelizeanBanman

Just ridin' my
Savage.

Reply #2 - 04/22/12 at 15:35:07

Thanks a bunch Lancer. I talked to the local Kawasaki dealer (who is my cousin) about re-threading only the top part instead of taking apart the whole engine. He said that the oil would then find a next place to seep through. Do you think this is accurate? I'd rather hear it from you than from him, you being the Savage expert Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/22/12 at 16:05:30

That bolt is 130mm long
sometimes a new bolt of the same length will work.
and if you intend to tap it deeper... remember that bolt is 130mm long and you'll need to extend your tap.
that washer is rubber coated, once you get the bolt to take hold, you can coat the washer with rtv to seal it if the rubber on it is no good.
as far as finding the next place to leak... sounds like he's a pessimist   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 04/22/12 at 16:19:01

verslagen1 wrote on 04/22/12 at 16:05:30:
...as far as finding the next place to leak... sounds like he's a pessimist   Grin

Sounds more like what I do on long rides...  Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
BelizeanBanman

Just ridin' my
Savage.

Reply #5 - 04/22/12 at 17:30:12

Thanks for the laugh serowbot!! Wink

So no one objects to re-threading just the few centimeters on the valve cover? I do realize that this is a lazy ass way of doing it, but the Kawasaki dealer wants to charge me 1-150 to re-thread it the proper way (removing the head, etc etc) which I find quite ridiculous.  I'm a college boy with a budget as such, forgive me for being cheap..  Embarrassed

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 04/22/12 at 18:18:40

Since it's stripped anyways, try this:

The bolt is an M6 thread. Acquire a 1/4" Standard bolt, which is 6.35mm OD and is the same length as the old bolt. Take a file and cut three grooves like it is on a threading tap. You can also taper the tip of the bolt a little to help get a grip down in the hole. Standard thread is a little more coarse than metric, so you basically cutting a new thread over the old one.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #7 - 04/23/12 at 13:03:22

You might be able to get a heli-coil installed in there without removing the head......

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
BelizeanBanman

Just ridin' my
Savage.

Reply #8 - 04/23/12 at 15:11:40

Thanks for all the replies guys. What I just completed:

Bought a same length bolt, just with standard size as ralfy suggested. Put a folded piece of bicycle tube as a washer. I had the bike running for about a minute: no leak yet. I really really hope this lasts. I'm tired of oil covering everything.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 04/23/12 at 17:13:54

Yea, the shrimp in the Gulf feel the same way.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #10 - 04/23/12 at 18:59:58

BelizeanBanman wrote on 04/23/12 at 15:11:40:
Thanks for all the replies guys. What I just completed:

Bought a same length bolt, just with standard size as ralfy suggested. Put a folded piece of bicycle tube as a washer. I had the bike running for about a minute: no leak yet. I really really hope this lasts. I'm tired of oil covering everything.

It will last if you did it right and carefully. Only concern in that hole is shavings getting into the oil stream, but that possibly already happened anyway with the old bolt stripping. You should have been able to reuse the old washer or get a copper or aluminum washer. I'm not sure if the rubber tube is gonna hold. The bolt should hold if it got a good bite down there.

IP Logged
BelizeanBanman

Just ridin' my
Savage.

Reply #11 - 04/23/12 at 20:47:29

if nothing else works, at least ya'll got a whole lot of laughs out of me  Grin  thanks justin Tongue

as far as the leak, it appears to be solved for now. when i arrived at class this evening i noticed a strange sound tho. Like oil slushing around in the engine even after the engine is off?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 04/24/12 at 02:39:43

Id say thats your fault,,I mean, what is it you want, anyway? YOu dont let the oil leak out, then ya complain about it sloshin around inside,, geeeze dude,, pick one,,

Seriously,, you can hear the oil sloshin? I never have, I cant imagine what youre hearing, maybe someone has heard something along those lines & can help,, Sorry, Its 430, Im not even awake, I just had a look & felt like bein a wise guy,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:15:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bad oil leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.