Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Not Staying in Gear? (Read 66 times)
HalfPint

Cumming, GA
Not Staying in Gear?
04/19/12 at 20:31:09

I was wondering if anyone could help me somewhat pinpoint my problem before I start taking things apart. When I purchased my bike about 2 years ago it had some grinding going up/down from 2nd gear. I didn't worry too much about it, because I really didn't go on any adventures then.

Recently though I was accelerating from 3rd to 4th on the highway and something I'll guess in the transmission decided to not agree with what I was going and I lost all power and without my foot on the shifter went down into 3rd after some horrific grinding.
Not more than a mile after that I was taking a slower sharp turn in 2nd gear and in the middle of the turn when I was starting to accelerate out the bike went into neutral. [Again without even touching the shifter.]

I was thinking I need to look at my clutch/plates/etc, but if some of this stuff is happening without me touching anything, then what? Any brain stormers would be great! I won't ride until it is fixed due to the possibly of getting in a dangerous situation where I wont be able to rely on the bike.  :'(

I'm pretty sure the clutch has never been maintained before, it's an 1987.

1987 Pearl Savage ^_-
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Not Staying in Gear?
Reply #1 - 04/19/12 at 20:45:57

Poppin into neutral isnt clutch, its shifter,, May be an adjustment hassle, may be a bent shift fork, IDK if youre gettin it in all the way,,

Have you gotten rough with the shifter?

I watched a guy literally stomp[ his to get it in first, cuz he didnt have enough sense to let off the clutch lever & spin the transmission guts,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/19/12 at 20:56:58

yep, you got a problem with your tranny, not your clutch.

I would try an adjustment on the clutch, or take apart the shifter and see if there's any you can do in there.

WWW   IP Logged
HalfPint

Cumming, GA
Reply #3 - 04/20/12 at 09:38:47

I have admittedly been a little rough on the shifter a couple of times due to this issue. Taking a look at the shifter will be my first step then! Thanks! Smiley

1987 Pearl Savage ^_-
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 04/20/12 at 09:40:36

Check the rod,, may be bent,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 04/20/12 at 11:55:27

If a bike is having trouble shifting in or out of gear at a stop... just release the clutch a tiny bit, and pull it back in... then it will go like butter...

I'm gonna' call this method... the "cog jog"... 100% guaranteed... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
HalfPint

Cumming, GA
Reply #6 - 04/20/12 at 18:17:03

Serowbot wrote on 04/20/12 at 11:55:27:
If a bike is having trouble shifting in or out of gear at a stop... just release the clutch a tiny bit, and pull it back in... then it will go like butter...

I'm gonna' call this method... the "cog jog"... 100% guaranteed... Wink...

lol I like the "cog jog." Tongue My issue isn't at stops though, it's in the middle of moving, mainly in the middle of accelerating or in turns.  Embarrassed

Draining the oil tonight and planning to start taking things apart tomorrow. I'll try to document a bit to help in my little journey here. lol I've taken the cylinder head apart before, but not the shifter.

1987 Pearl Savage ^_-
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 04/20/12 at 18:24:59

You dont need to drain oil to look at the shifter rod. I doubt thats it, but it sure is easy to check,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 22:35:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Not Staying in Gear?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.