Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb Leaking? (Read 72 times)
savagedan
Ex Member

Carb Leaking?
04/19/12 at 15:30:43

Hey guys,

History - The bike is '98 and has 750+ miles on it. The guy had the same tank of fuel in there since probably 2002.

So I've done a few things to my bike now:

Raptor Petcock
Cleaned and re-sealed gastank
Oil change/filter
Scrape and cleaned the bottom of the carb bowl.

Here's my problem. The carb is leaking fuel around the joint between the bowl and the rest of the carb. It looks like I need to replace the gasket, can anyone confirm this?

I called into a mechanic and they said I should replace the float bowl. I read another thread about knocking the side of the carb bowl with the handle of a screwdriver to loosen it. Problem is, I have to do this every time I want to start my bike.  Embarrassed

On another note, the bike won't idle unless the choke is out. I even tried tightening the idle screw in all the way and it still doesn't want to idle unless choke is out.

The fuel doesn't seem to flow into the carb very well either.

I want to do this myself, so my options seem to be:
1. Replace gasket and float bowl — $80 at nearby store
2. Buy aftermarket carb kit and hope it contains everything I need —$??

Does anyone have any other idea or feedback? I am dying to get riding and haven't ridden a bike in months! I am just hoping that there is nothing else wrong with my bike.

THANKS!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Carb Leaking?
Reply #1 - 04/19/12 at 15:53:13

Savagedan,

I will try to say this in a way that doesn't judge your mechanic too harshly.

Him telling you to replace a float bowl and gasket to fix your problem is fairly (several fairly judgmental adverbs and adjectives).  

What he might have meant was that you needed to open the float bowl and clean / replace / adjust the float and needle valve assembly.

Now, what you really need to do is get a copy of the Clymers Manual (available on line, see the tech section index for where)  and take your carb off the bike and clean it and tune it.   We have several excellent guides to do that in the Tech Section.

Last thing you need to do is go find yourself a better Savage mechanic.  This last one doesn't seem to know very much about Savage motorcycles at all.

This makes him COMPLETELY TYPICAL btw, as most dealerships don't see a Savage in for repair but every year or so -- and then a different kid works on each one due to the very high turnover rates in motorcycle mechanics.

Huh   Lord, please forgive me for being a grump -- but I just told a newbie to go open up his carburetor and we both know what that means.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/19/12 at 16:07:23

SavageDan wrote on 04/19/12 at 15:30:43:
Here's my problem. The carb is leaking fuel around the joint between the bowl and the rest of the carb. It looks like I need to replace the gasket, can anyone confirm this?

With the bike held upright, the gas level should be right around this level, maybe a tad lower.
Quote:
I read another thread about knocking the side of the carb bowl with the handle of a screwdriver to loosen it. Problem is, I have to do this every time I want to start my bike.  Embarrassed

You do this to dislodge the float and or float valve,  So is it sticking causing the leak?

Quote:
On another note, the bike won't idle unless the choke is out. I even tried tightening the idle screw in all the way and it still doesn't want to idle unless choke is out.

In all the way shuts off the gas/air flow (don't remember which)  Should be about 2 turns out.

Quote:
The fuel doesn't seem to flow into the carb very well either.

I want to do this myself, so my options seem to be:
1. Replace gasket and float bowl — $80 at nearby store
2. Buy aftermarket carb kit and hope it contains everything I need —$??

Does anyone have any other idea or feedback? I am dying to get riding and haven't ridden a bike in months! I am just hoping that there is nothing else wrong with my bike.

THANKS!

There's an aftermarket carb kit with gasket and float valve for about $20 and a full kit with jets for about $30 in the bay of fleas.

I recommend a Hawaiian style carb clean... the how-to is in the tech section.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 04/19/12 at 16:08:34

All the bowl gasket really does is elliminate leakage from splash.....or slosh. Under normal conditions, the gas level will never get even near the gasket, only what will splash/slosh against it while riding.
If the carb is filling up to....or above the gasket, (leaking to the outside) the needle float valve is leaking, and should be cleaned,.......maybe replaced. But w/ the other idling problems etc you have, you really need a complete carb cleanout as others advised.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
savagedan
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/19/12 at 16:24:24

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/19/12 at 15:53:13:

What he might have meant was that you needed to open the float bowl and clean / replace / adjust the float and needle valve assembly.

Hey Oldfeller, I will definitely pull out the carb and inspect/adjust/fix it. The thing is, what is my proper sequence? Go and order a new float and needle valve assembly then pull my carb out when it arrives?  

Or, pull it out, get some pro advice and then order the necessary parts? Pro advice = ask on suzukisavage.com / get some mechanic to look at it.

IP Logged
savagedan
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/19/12 at 16:26:06

verslagen1 wrote on 04/19/12 at 16:07:23:
There's an aftermarket carb kit with gasket and float valve for about $20 and a full kit with jets for about $30 in the bay of fleas.

I recommend a Hawaiian style carb clean... the how-to is in the tech section.

Again, this comes back to my question, should I buy the carb kits now and then take apart my carb? Or should I take apart my carb, get expert advice and then buy parts.

For example, I don't know why I wouldn't get the kit with full jets for the extra $10. Wouldn't it make sense to do all I can do?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 04/19/12 at 16:33:01

Sure,.. buy the kit... You mostly want the new float needle and seat, but WTF?,.. might as well put clean new jets in there, being that the bike has sat so long... and, clean, clean, clean... spray lots o' carb cleaner (all brands the same, buy cheap), and blow through all passages with compressed air, if you can...

Best luck, call if there's a problem.. Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
savagedan
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/19/12 at 17:44:47

Serowbot wrote on 04/19/12 at 16:33:01:
Sure,.. buy the kit... You mostly want the new float needle and seat, but WTF?,.. might as well put clean new jets in there, being that the bike has sat so long... and, clean, clean, clean... spray lots o' carb cleaner (all brands the same, buy cheap), and blow through all passages with compressed air, if you can...

Best luck, call if there's a problem.. Wink...

Thanks serowbot. I will look at some carb kits and pick one up.

Hey good news for me finally! Smiley

I pulled out the carb much faster than anticipated (45 minutes)  Cool
I removed the bowl once more and noticed the gasket is cracked. Now I know, I gotta replace that gasket.

Now the funny nipple-looking cap that is on the top of the carb has some seriously tight screws on it. How do you suggest I remove them without any stripping damage? (I sprayed some WD-40 on it and will try that again later.)

BTW, Clymer manuals rock. And so do you guys. I appreciate all this feedback. I have moved up from the abysmal crevasse of apathy and am ready to kick this carb's A$$...in a good, fix-it-up, fatherly kinda way Grin

I saw what I think was the needle (long brass thing poking into the bowl with a tiny hole). I see that the black tube (maybe diaphragm) is kinda creeping along it's passageway, not very smooth. I will pick up some carb cleaner to clean up everything.

So yeah, any tips on the carb would be great.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 04:57:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Leaking?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.