ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: engine trouble
Reply #15 - 04/20/12 at 15:34:13

car7083 wrote on 04/20/12 at 14:15:39:
none of the above, sorry, ....i can literally watch the fuel come down the line and into the filter, and the filter is about 3 inches away from the carb, i had someone else more familiar with bikes take a look today   it still turns over but it turns over too easy, we are pretty sure there is a loss of compression, especially considering the noises i heard, im assuming a bent valve   :'(

well if we are there... then take of the inspection covers and turn the crank by hand.  You can also get a good look at the valves by removing the header and carb.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 04/20/12 at 21:28:26

Let's see, the bike was bought on Monday, took it in Mon-Tues and got a $100 dealer quote to fix the petcock, the carb was rebuilt on Tuesday and petcock is currently being run in ON position   (hey, he knows its a bad vac petcock -- was told so by the dealership)  and he has now added a manual shut off valve that was added oh, lets say on Tues-Wed because his first post was on Thursday.   None of the carb rebuilds or shutoff things done so far will stop the bad vac petcock in the ON position from supplying insufficent gasoline and choking off the bike while it is running down the road.  

No mention has been made of whacking the float bowl with the big screw driver handle in order to jar loose a float assembly that might have gotten stuck when the bike ran out of gas due to bad vac petcock starvation, so this hasn't been tried yet.

Now "somebody familiar with bikes" has looked at it and "it turns over too easy" so  first it was the cam chain tensioner, now it is bent valves.

(I'm keeping a map of where we have been so far -- I do love these little magical mystery tours I do ...)

Note that he still hasn't done anything we have suggested yet, nor touched a wrench to hand in pursuit of anything said here.

(A compression check would be nice around now, with like some numerical results)

Energizing the solenoid while the bike was running down the road would make a single pop sound (solenoid thunking) and valves would be held open for <1 second while the pop sound was being heard.  

Solenoid mechanism jamming open is a possibility but has not happened before, so it might be unlikely but it is possible.   Solenoid mechanism lifts one exhaust valve about 1/6" but the cam opens it a whole lot further.  The two are not additive, the cam is the big mover, not the solenoid.

Hitting the valves with a stock piston simply isn't going to happen. Floating the valves repeatedly at very high rpms with a stock piston with even a Stage 2 high lift/duration cam does not result in any valve/piston contact (and does no damage either).

« Last Edit: 04/21/12 at 06:51:20 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
car7083
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 04/20/12 at 23:49:30

ok if all you got is smartass comments then you can stop posting, thank you

and @ teabowl13, yes i have also though of the compression release, just have been too busy at work to get it in the garage, hopefully ill have time soon, gonna try the easy stuff first, so hopefully all goes well

IP Logged
car7083
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 04/22/12 at 15:43:14

well i had some time off today so i did a compression check on the bike and it barely registered on the guage, so i dug in, found that somone took the engine apart before and must have forgotten to put the ring on the wrist pin  Sad   ... so to make a long story short does anyone know if a 1997 cylynder and piston will work on my 1987? its the only one i can find on ebay at the moment, still looking though

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 04/22/12 at 15:55:02

Yes, they will   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #20 - 04/22/12 at 18:57:21

car7083 wrote on 04/22/12 at 15:43:14:
well i had some time off today so i did a compression check on the bike and it barely registered on the guage, so i dug in, found that somone took the engine apart before and must have forgotten to put the ring on the wrist pin  Sad   ... so to make a long story short does anyone know if a 1997 cylynder and piston will work on my 1987? its the only one i can find on ebay at the moment, still looking though

You sure it ain't the stock petcork?  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
car7083
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 04/23/12 at 10:28:16

is there any difference between the cylinders that i would have to modify or anything? is there any differende between an 87 and 97?  i have been all over this and other sites trying to find out, i would just like to know for sure that it will work before i purchase, any help is appreciated

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 04/23/12 at 10:48:18

verslagen1 wrote on 04/22/12 at 15:55:02:
Yes, they will   Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 04/23/12 at 11:13:24

not a thing go for it

WWW   IP Logged
car7083
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 04/23/12 at 11:14:26

ok, guess ill go ahead and get it, thanks

IP Logged
car7083
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 04/23/12 at 11:28:36

ok then well i went to ebay and its gone now so are there any other sites where i could find a used cylinder? there arent any bike salvage yards around me and now im not sure where to look

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #26 - 04/23/12 at 12:08:37

try a post in the market place.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home