Send Topic Print
engine trouble (Read 312 times)
car7083
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

engine trouble
04/19/12 at 15:26:37

ok i just got my first bike a 1987 savage, i just bought in monday and did a little work to it to get it street worthy, yesterday i took my first ride for about 4 hours and it ran great until i was on the way home i was cruizing in 4th gear doing about 40 mph or so, and all of a sudden i heard what allmost sounded like a pop or ping (similar to detonation, but i dont think this was the problem seeing as i was using 93 octane) i heard this about 3 or 4 times, came up to a stop light and pulled in the clutch and it just died,  after getting off the road i couldnt get it running again, it still turns over but sounds like a loss of compression maybe? i am thinking maybe the timing chain jumped and i bent a valve, as i said before this is my first bike and i am just wondering if anyone else has has this problem? any information is appreciated, thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: engine trouble
Reply #1 - 04/19/12 at 16:14:19

I think you ran out of gas, put it in reserve.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 04/19/12 at 16:59:38

That always works when I run out... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 04/19/12 at 17:37:52

Serro, let Verslagen handle this one

--- it will be fun to watch him tell the dude to put it in prime without telling him it is because his vac petcock system's done gone bad.  

(yeah, and them spring covered hoses DO count as part of the vac petcock overall system architecture)

Routy will then have to chime in to help, too.   Routy will have him tearing the carb bowl off to get the durn spider off the main jet (them durn spider push ups again).

It will be fun to see how far they can go before somebody finally has to say the R word to the young man.

Grin   Grin   Grin

Test your Petcock,.. don't just turn it to Prime..

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
car7083
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/19/12 at 18:12:27

it didnt run out of gas, i know it was not the petcock or the carb, i had the carb rebuilt tuesday, and the stock petcock is allways "on" and i just added a fuel cutoff and filter between it and the carb, there was plenty of fuel in the fuel filter, im fairly certian it is a  mechanical problem, i have read that the timing chain tensioner or somthing wears out on these bikes, mine has 12k miles but everything i have read says they do not usually go out til around 30k miles

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/19/12 at 18:15:54

but everything i have read says they do not usually go out til around 30k miles

No, thats when theyd otta give out,, they usually take a dump between 12 & 17 thou now.

How long did it set up before you got it?

How many miles on it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 04/19/12 at 18:21:01

Breakdowns always feel so serious,.. but are most often simple...

Check the easy stuff first...
If you're sure it ain't fuel,.. check the sidestand and clutch lever cutouts... if they get dirty or corroded, it'll shut you down just like you describe...
Disconnect, clean, and reconnect them...
Keep fingers crossed, but do this before you go digging deep... Wink...

Yup, check the kill switch on the handlebars too.   And the position of the ignition switch -- we got a "parking lights only" position that I remember finding one time when the bike was new to me.

« Last Edit: 04/19/12 at 19:36:11 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
vineman

Oh sweet Ruby how
you tease!

Mid MO
Reply #7 - 04/19/12 at 19:06:43

I can contest to being the victim of problems that have really easy fixes and I always jump the gun and go big on the repair when it was really just a fuse o or something like that all along. (Had a mini cooper that kept overheating when standing still so i spent $100 at the local BMWship for them to tell me it was a $1.40 fuse, not my proudest moment)

Listen to serow, start small and get bigger if needed.

2007 ls650 s40, Ruby Red, Nighttrain muffler, pod air filter, 155 main, chain conversion, superbrace fork brace, vista cruise cruise control, and a helluva lotta fun
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 04/19/12 at 19:28:40

car7083 wrote on 04/19/12 at 18:12:27:
it didnt run out of gas, i know it was not the petcock or the carb, i had the carb rebuilt tuesday, and the stock petcock is allways "on" (he has a stock petcock) and i just added a fuel cutoff and filter between it and the carb, there was plenty of fuel in the fuel filter, im fairly certian it is a  mechanical problem, i have read that the timing chain tensioner or somthing wears out on these bikes, mine has 12k miles but everything i have read says they do not usually go out til around 30k miles

Here is what a gone cam chain tensioner sounds like ....   (note the bike still runs when the cam chain tensioner goes ... it doesn't die like it is out of gas)

here is the thread, got us lots of examples of running dead cam chain tensioner bikes ......    http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1308708632

You need to listen to what folks are saying -- your bike stopped and won't start.   That is gas or electrical.   Check them switches and key positions and side stand switches.

Take your air filter out of the hole and spray ether (staring fluid) into the air box, turn the ignition to the proper "on" and hit the starter with a fully charged battery.

Why fully charged?  Because a partial charge on the battery (less than 10 volts when cranking) will spin the motor but the black box won't fire the plug if the voltage drops below 10 volts while cranking.   It is a little quirk Suzuki black boxes are known for ....

Charge your battery.  Shoot the ether.  Turn the bike "on". Crank the bike.  If it even tries to start, you got gas supply issues.

If it doesn't try to start, you got spark issues.

You had the carb rebuilt last Tuesday.   hmmmmm ..... this may be a Mikey issue.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
car7083
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/20/12 at 07:40:38

thanks guys, i wasnt aware that it would still run with the tensioner broke, yeah this is my first bike, but ive been a car guy all my life and it just worried me about the noise i heard, it didnt sound pretty lol, thats why i assumed it was somthing internal,   and yeah i got the stock petcock, lol, the diaphram was messed up and the local bike shop wanted 100 bucks for a replacement so i just opted for the cheap route it cost about 6 dollars just to add my own cutoff and i put a filter on, reserve still works and everything,  oh and I am not sure how long it had sat before i got it, i would have to say at least a year or 2

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 04/20/12 at 08:18:06

Ah, we get closer to the real cases now.  

You are intentionally using a known bad vac petcock but have added an exterior manual cut off to the system for $6.  

Hey, perhaps your known defective petcock has SOME OTHER (unknown to you) symptoms that only exist while the bike is running (or not running as the case may be) that it can still do to you while you are still trusting it to run your bike in the ON position?

Did you even read the thread we gave you earlier?  It has a listing of symptoms in it that runs like this.  Anything sound familiar?

1)  Your bike stumbles or acts like it is running out of gas when you are going over 55 mph and then when you get to the pump you can't put in 2 full gallons of gasoline.

2)  Your bike dies on you and you play bloody hell getting it to start again (you can't get any gas from your sick vac petcock no matter what you do to try to get it to start).

3)  When you get a reserve situation and roll the vac petcock toggle to Reserve, the bike continues to stumble for nearly a minute before slowly picking up some power and speed as you struggle to get to a gas station.

4)  You get all sorts of abrupt indications your carburetor is dirty or your jetting suddenly went off (and you haven't changed your exhaust system or air filter system).   Especially applies if SeaFoam, etc has NO EFFECT on your "carburetor issues" whatsoever when you try it.

5)  You smell gasoline either coming from your vac suction line, your airbox or from your oil fill port when you unscrew it (so you can sniff your oil in the sump for the scent of gasoline) because you suspect you have one of the above going on.

If any of them fit, you may want to go back up and read the entire thread very carefully and do the things listed in it.   The link is at the bottom of reply #3 above.

Also note the comments about using the big screwdriver handle to jar your float assembly free from getting stuck at the ends of its travel.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
car7083
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/20/12 at 14:15:39

none of the above, sorry, ....i can literally watch the fuel come down the line and into the filter, and the filter is about 3 inches away from the carb, i had someone else more familiar with bikes take a look today   it still turns over but it turns over too easy, we are pretty sure there is a loss of compression, especially considering the noises i heard, im assuming a bent valve   :'(

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/20/12 at 14:28:30

I'm pretty much a newbie to these bikes too, and I've never heard of this in all of my reading here on tis forum, so take this with a grain of salt, but it just popped into my head...

These bikes have an automatic compression release system; powered by a solenoid under the tank. Is it possible this has somehow failed, and is holding the compression release open? That would give a loss of compression, but it seems far fetched to me; I imagine if that failed it would stay closed, not open.

That said, I think you'd have to do something pretty drastic to this engine to bend a valve. None of the rest of what you have described points to anything that catastrophic... I say keep looking for something simple....

Just because you can see the fuel coming down the tube and running into your carburetor, doesn't mean that it's getting into the engine.

The fact that you "Just had the Carb rebuilt" to me is actually a sure sign that you should look there first. The last part that you "Fixed" is often the source of your new problem. Was the bike running normally before the carb was worked on? Who did the work? It's very possible that something wasn't done quite right, and now the newly re-built carb isn't really working right. I would check there...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 04/20/12 at 14:38:29

REmove left side head cover & see what the decomp lever is doing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 04/20/12 at 14:41:17

teabowl13 wrote on 04/20/12 at 14:28:30:
The fact that you "Just had the Carb rebuilt" to me is actually a sure sign that you should look there first. The last part that you "Fixed" is often the source of your new problem. Was the bike running normally before the carb was worked on? Who did the work? It's very possible that something wasn't done quite right, and now the newly re-built carb isn't really working right. I would check there...

+1

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/20/12 at 14:38:29:
REmove left side head cover & see what the decomp lever is doing.

Also an interesting direction, provided the item just "fixed" isn't at issue.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:30:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › engine trouble

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.