Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Corbin seat, forward controls or bigger bike? (Read 431 times)
Scott McCrory

Thumper newbie

Columbus Ohio USA
Corbin seat, forward controls or bigger bike?
04/17/12 at 08:39:00

Hi all, I'm LOVING my 2006 S40.  It's my first bike and have put 400 miles on it in just a month.  Great acceleration, nice and light, looks great, relatively simple to work on, the whole bit...

That said, I'm 5' 9" and am starting to feel cramped in my lower back with a numb butt after a 45-60 minutes of riding.  Eventually I'd also like to have a passenger with me once in a while and am told the factory rear seat and sissy bar may not be good for more than 30 minutes. Highway speeds are a little spooky too, but that may just be my inexperience.

I've seen here that people really like the Corbin seat and forward controls by Ed or Routy.  So, if you had to decide, would you personally be inclined to plunk down $300 on the seat, $150-ish on forward controls or channel the cash into a bigger bike in the 650-850cc range?  You know what i'm thinkin already, I still really like the non-intimidating, flickable simplicity of the S40, but longer-range comfort isn't the best.

Opinions desired!  Cheesy
Scott

2006 Suzuki S40 Boulevard
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Corbin seat, forward controls or bigger bike?
Reply #1 - 04/17/12 at 09:06:20

It's been said that our seat is the worst and corbin is the best.
And suzuki seats are the worst of all brands.
Of course this depends on the use and the user.

You'll also note that corbin seats are made for just about everything.
That should give you a clue, no matter what bike you get, you may end up buying a seat for it anyway.

WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 04/17/12 at 09:18:03

I have the Corbin and Routy's forward controls. Both made a big difference, if you want to keep the bike. I recently came into some money and started looking at bigger bikes, notably the Triumph America. After thinking long and hard I decided to keep the S 40 for the very reasons you like yours.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #3 - 04/17/12 at 09:31:04

I vote keep the 40 for the around town riding, and get the c50 for long range.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Scott McCrory

Thumper newbie

Columbus Ohio USA
Reply #4 - 04/17/12 at 10:34:01

I appreciate the input guys, keep it coming if you think it hasn't been voiced.

Do you think the seat alone would be the best help, or the FCs by themselves?  Or would both be needed?  Maybe that's where my personal watermarks would be before upscaling to a larger bike...

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 04/17/12 at 10:44:38

Get the seat first. The only reason I got forward controls (I am also 5'9") is because of my arthritis.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 04/17/12 at 10:45:41

Try the seat lift mod... (Tech section)...
After that,.. I really like the stock seat...
Corbin's are hard as rock (okay, let's just say firm)... Some riders like that.
Maybe good for heavier folks... not comfy for me at all..

My butt gets tired of sitting after an hour in any seat.. even a lazyboy...
Thank god for small gas tanks... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/17/12 at 11:15:44

I'd also like to point out that you stated out telling us that this is your first bike, and you've only put about 400 miles on it.
That's NOT a lot of time in the saddle at all; on any bike. You really are still getting to know the bike; how it works, the way it rides and what works for you. My advice would be you spend this Summer really learning the bike, and learning to ride before you think about plunking down a lot more money for a lot more bike. Not that you shouldn't do that eventually, but if you get to know how you ride, you'll know a lot more about what you want in a bike when it;s time to go shopping.

Every bike out there has seat issues. I've had Corbin seats on 4 different bikes; I loved the first one, hated all of the others; they are different for every bike, and every butt. There are much simpler, less expensive things you can try first; the seat mod is a great place to start. A number of guys here have also used Harley seats on their stock Savages; you can look that up.

My other bike is a Nighthawk 750, which I use for long distance rides and camping trips. I liked the stock seat OK, but didn't love it. I sent it to SPENCER'S seat mod, and I got the full works done for $150. Other guys here have used him as well. I absolutely love it! I can ride a 6-8 hour day, and get up and do it again the next day. I doubt you'll get that out of any Savage, but I like to ride all day, and after 45 minutes, I'm not even warmed up yet! Here's the link:

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

Keep it simple!  Grin

IP Logged
Scott McCrory

Thumper newbie

Columbus Ohio USA
Reply #8 - 04/17/12 at 12:26:55

Fantastic advice teabowl13 and serowbot - ill try the lift mod and gain more experience, perhaps trying another seat and learning what the major factors to my ride are in the process.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 04/17/12 at 13:21:36

You are braver than I am to carry a passenger being a new rider yourself.  Its totally different than riding alone, and if your passenger is new to riding, please go over some safety tips with them first.  They need to know when to lean and when not to lean, all that good stuff to not throw off a new rider like yourself.  

Having put in my motherly 2cents, I agree with teabowl, ride by yourself for a while, get the feel of the bike and your own personal riding style before shelling out a bunch of money on options that you may or may not really need.  Try some cheap seat pads, or sheepskin covers.  Try all kinds of different things, within reason of course.  I initially wanted a bigger bike, but have grown to love my S40 and can't imagine changing.  Just mod the crap outta this one and make it my own.  (Still dream of a Triumph America though!)  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
scottnj

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

the 'Nati, OH
Reply #10 - 04/17/12 at 13:43:11

I got my S40 last year and it's my first bike. I'm 6' and 220 lbs and every salesmen tried to talk me into a bigger bike, except for the one salesman I talked to who had owned a Savage.  I went with the S40 because I thought it was a better first bike for the reasons you mentioned.  After about 5,000 miles, I still like it. At first, I couldn't stand the stock seat for more than an hour, but after putting on Ed L's forward controls, it's been great -- much more comfortable. I've done 12 hours in one day on the stock seat w/o a problem.  For me it was great bang for the buck. You might like it too.  Whether you try the lift, forward controls, or corbin, I recommend putting some miles on the bike and seeing what it can do.  Hopefully a combination of a few mods and some saddle time will help you get more comfortable!

2007 S40 (Supertrapp, 6" Ed. L forward controls, K&N, & some other stuff)
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #11 - 04/17/12 at 14:24:55

With only 400 miles, your seat hasn't broken in yet.  Smiley

I actually found that the seat lift mod made a world of difference for my comfort. I'd still like a new seat, but it can wait until I've done a lot of other things now.

IP Logged
Scott McCrory

Thumper newbie

Columbus Ohio USA
Reply #12 - 04/17/12 at 16:38:24

Y'all are fantastic, thank you for the advice!  It's actually a 2006 S40 with 3800 miles on it (400 are mine), so the seat is probably broken in  Smiley but just not terribly friendly to my arse's geometry.  Grin

On the side I'm a private pilot experienced with risk management, so indeed, no passengers for a while - I'm taking that nice and slow.  I actually bought the S40 against friend's recommendation for something bigger because I wanted to get my basic skills without struggling with a top-heavy monster.  I was also compelled by the low-RPM performance of the S40 for urban, suburban and ex-burban driving, which is about 90% of what I'll use it for, though I would like to try a few 4-6 hour trips.  I shelled out for a new multi-layer ballistic nylon body armored jacket and pants,  a SNELL/DOT full-face white helmet, armored leather riding gloves and lightweight durable over-ankle boots.  A little overkill perhaps, but I wanted to give myself extra protection while I get through the first 6-12 months of experience (I can shed the liners when it gets hot and still have the armor on).  In July I'm taking the MSA basic rider's course and will have the full M endorsement at the end.  I'll try to take the advanced course later in the year if there's an opening.

In the end, I figured that if I "lose" a few hundred bucks working my way up to a bigger bike, that's fine because it's cheaper than a single crash.  I'm just surprised with how quickly I'm bonding with the bike and am wanting to spend more and more time on it, hence the riding comfort train of thought.  Maybe someday I'd like to tow a passenger too.

Anyway, indeed I'll try the seat lift, then either forward controls or other seats to see if that helps before moving up with more experience and knowledge about what I really want to step up to.  Sounds like a good plan to me, thanks for the influence!  Cool

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 04/17/12 at 18:41:32

The protective gear is not overkill.  I was separated from my machine last year at 50 mph and went hard down on my back which caused considerable damage but I'm still alive and have healed and back on the road again.  Without good armor, helmet, etc I may not be here.
WEAR IT WITHOUT APOLOGY.

IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #14 - 04/17/12 at 18:48:14

Scott,

Total newb here....back to riding after 20 years, and thought the S40 would be just what I needed for size and power.  I am like you, after 300 miles on her, I am asking a couple of the identical questions.  

Thanks to everyone for the answers and advice.  I went ahead with the seat lift this evening, raising it almost an inch and it does make a difference.  It is a very simple mod once you find the parts needed.

I am very seriously considering the forward controls. I am 6'1" and 250, just a big country boy, but think the FC's can't hurt.  If I put them on I will let you know how it works out. Safe riding to you.

LOVING the S40....2007 with 1200 miles and got her for 2300 bucks. No better deal within 150 miles.  

Learning a lot already from all you fine folks ....thanks for the help.

Scott Frye

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:24:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Corbin seat, forward controls or bigger bike?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.