Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Corbin seat, forward controls or bigger bike? (Read 431 times)
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Corbin seat, forward controls or bigger bike?
Reply #15 - 04/17/12 at 19:50:33

I've had my Savage since February of 1998. I've had bikes ranging from model year 1915 to model year 2005. Over 100 of them.

Bar none, stock Suzuki seats are the absolute worst. Kawasaki's cruiser seats are the best.

I'm 6'2" and down to 215#. I run a set of 15" rise handlebars (Krome Werks apehangers), a set of Panhead style Harley floorboards welded to the stock peg mounts and a modified Kawasaki VN800A seat. And a higher narrower fuel tank.

Savages are not long trip bikes. At least for somebody my size, I'd prefer a VN1500A (love the Classic but loathe 16" front wheels). My Savage with a stock seat was comparable to my 63 Panhead in a 53 rigid frame with a hard mounted seat. Back breaker (literally, my lumbar spine is trashed).

Take your time and get used to the bike. You can't ask for a better around town cruiser. If you just have to ride with a passenger, do both of you a favor and buy a second bike for that. Something with a real seat and a real backrest, Kawi Nomad or an HD Road King with the accessory backrest.

Oh, like Lancer said, never apologize for safety gear. I have a steel shoulder and a scar from a clutch lever through the chin because I don't use ATGATT. Never have, never will, can't stand the stuff. Leather and a 1/2 or 3/4 shell for me. Unless I'm in a freedom of choice state, then I ride without a lid.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #16 - 04/17/12 at 21:07:18

I pretty much agree with everyone's tips so far.  Definitely take more time to get used to your bike... And to riding in general.  In some respects, it's like breaking in new boots; as the boots get broken in, so do your feet.  400 miles isn't enough to break in your ass yet.  For personal comfort, there are a lot of options already mentioned.  I found the seat lift helped and tried the leather Suzuki gel seat for the Savage but, for me, a modified HD Sportster seat I got for about $30 on eBay is much better than the gel seat.  Different bars can alter your position and comfort considerably too.  So far as a passenger goes, I can't say I know of a way to make the Savage comfortable short of adding a sidecar but I ride solo and haven't given it any real effort.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #17 - 04/18/12 at 11:12:40

If two -up riding is your ride of choice, then a larger bike is desireable....but since we'd like you to hang around a bit longer, ride thine Savage for a season and develop your riding skills..take an MSF advanced rider's course or similar skill builder.  By next year you can become a FSO and still survive- visiting the forumn as desired.

Triumph has done a great job with their line..and should you want to keep the savage for the quick around town..their are usually plenty of good low milage america's available.  Front fork brace and seat front raise two great mods.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 04/18/12 at 12:11:56

Also, give some pause before you get the forward controls.
I'm not saying you shouldn't get some; they will likely make you feel more comfortable, but there are a lot of folks who say that keeping your feet under you gives you much better control over the bike, and I've always felt much more confident in my riding that way. It keeps me more upright, more alert, and I feel more connected to the machine, and more in control.

Take this with a grain of salt; I personally haven't ridden the Savage with forward controls, and in fact I am moving mine further back, so I can't say that it makes a serious difference. Also,  I grew up on 1970's UJM Standards and more sporting bikes, so it's just not my style, but the stock controls are further forward than anything I am used to already. I would hesitate before going even  more forward...

Again, maybe after some more time...

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 04/18/12 at 12:12:51

And by the way...
Congratulations on your new bike!!
Now, shut up and go ride that thing!!
Enjoy!

IP Logged
Scott McCrory

Thumper newbie

Columbus Ohio USA
Reply #20 - 04/18/12 at 16:47:19

I love it - y'all are awesome!  Cheesy Cool

2006 Suzuki S40 Boulevard
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #21 - 04/19/12 at 06:39:41

teabowl13 wrote on 04/18/12 at 12:11:56:
Also, give some pause before you get the forward controls.
I'm not saying you shouldn't get some; they will likely make you feel more comfortable, but there are a lot of folks who say that keeping your feet under you gives you much better control over the bike, and I've always felt much more confident in my riding that way. It keeps me more upright, more alert, and I feel more connected to the machine, and more in control.

Take this with a grain of salt; I personally haven't ridden the Savage with forward controls, and in fact I am moving mine further back, so I can't say that it makes a serious difference. Also,  I grew up on 1970's UJM Standards and more sporting bikes, so it's just not my style, but the stock controls are further forward than anything I am used to already. I would hesitate before going even  more forward...

Again, maybe after some more time...

I'll second teabowls thoughts here.  I started riding back in the late 60's and rode Trumpets,Beezers, vertical twins and big singles. Had a Harley once also. Built a couple of choppers with ape-hangers and the works. Got away from scooters for 20 years or so and couldn't stand it any more. Now knocking on 60's door and back on two wheels. I found our real quick the FCs don't allow as much control of the bike as stock pegs or boards. I do like highway pegs for the occasional stretch though!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #22 - 04/20/12 at 20:57:43

verslagen1 wrote on 04/17/12 at 09:06:20:
It's been said that our seat is the worst and corbin is the best.
And suzuki seats are the worst of all brands.
Of course this depends on the use and the user.

I'm likewise 5'9" I think the factory seat is just fine never tried a Corbin, my 09 Kawasaki Classic 900 LT had the worst seat by far of any I've used. That bike now has a Mustang big improvement.

« Last Edit: 04/20/12 at 22:12:21 by verslagen1 »  
  IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 04/25/12 at 08:11:29

I purchased a Corbin seat for my 06 S40 after about 400 miles.  My sense was, it felt like I was riding "on" the S40 with the stock seat, whereas, the Corbin seat provides a sense of being a part of the bike, that due to the different seat angle, back lip of the seat and over-all comfort.  After riding bicycles for years, the last road bike I bought required 5 different ass-hatchets before finely getting the right fit for my tail.  Oh, I'm 5'8", 180, 68yrs old, so seat comfort and support is appreciated by me.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #24 - 04/25/12 at 10:14:35

In general Suzuki seats are at the top of the list,The S40"s shocks and travel at the bottom of the list.The Intruder 1500 has been called the best seat in motorcycling,I have one and it is the best of any bike I've road on,even better than my 6 cylinder honda goldwing I had. Beware the Corbin and Suzuki gel seats are narrower than the stock seat.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #25 - 04/26/12 at 10:09:29

The fact that the Corbin is narrower is moot. With the Corbin you sit in the seat, not on it- and the passenger portion of the Corbin is definitely wider than the stock seat.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 04/26/12 at 10:30:00

I'm 6'1" and with the addition of Routy's FC's and 32" Santee Wide and Low XLX style drag bars made a huge difference! They changed the whole ergonomics and I'm more relaxed on the s40 than I am on My vulcan 800A . The stock seat is now fine, it allows me to shift my butt around from time to time. The wide bars improved the handling especially the Low speed handling. Change the bars, add FC's and keep the s40 for a while and develop your skills for the s40 is very light and forgiving.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:25:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Corbin seat, forward controls or bigger bike?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.