gas tank dent (Read 84 times)
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
gas tank dent
04/16/12 at 19:34:05

who has or knows how to get a dent out of a gas tank?....it is on the gas cap side and is creased......not neccessarliy looking for pefect, just not hidious....

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: gas tank dent
Reply #1 - 04/16/12 at 20:02:49

I gave a pretty detailed explanation not long ago,, pics wpuld sure help.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
longtucky
YaBB Newbies

saavvaagge

Reply #2 - 04/16/12 at 21:39:41

I just pulled a bunch of dents out of my tank using bondo and sandpaper.

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #3 - 04/17/12 at 02:38:49

anyone tried the glue on adapter slide hammer method....not the glue on bridge type

</div
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 04/17/12 at 08:33:17

http://www.htpweld.com/products/auto_body_tools/index.htm

This stuff is available at the tool rental shop not far from me,
Gay Rawn Teed to pull the dent..

Now,, the Big,, no, the Explosive question is,,
How can you be sure,, absotively, posilutely Certain, that the red glowing piece of the tank wont make the fumes inside go BOOM!??

The easy way would be to put some gas in the bottom of a container, a Very Open one, like a bowl, & put the tool on it from below & see if it lites the gas.. Im sayin it wont, cuz I know a cigarette can be flicked into gas & it wont lite, BUT, before I heated a piece of metal to glowing red hot, Id KNOW.. because if that tank explodes, its gonna cost someones widow a lot to clean up the mess,..
So, either decide it isnt dangerous by testing or purge the tank,
Ive heard of people brazing on gas tanks,, they run them full of exhaust gas with a hose from a car. After they air them out REal Good.

IDK if the tool would work if there was water against the metal on the inside, but if it would, Id put water in the tank,
YOu could determine that by trying to weld a brad onto anything thin metal, with water in it,
Tanks can be had,, heads & faces are much harder to replace.

Safety first,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #5 - 04/17/12 at 13:58:47

i dont like the sound of that method either - i am not contemp[lating heating the tank to any great degree just hiot gluing the special dent puller attachment to the tank and attach the slide hammer to ti and yank it - i nkow this will require several glue on applications but i figured someone out there has tried it.

</div
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 04/17/12 at 21:35:00

A pic would be nice,

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 04/18/12 at 05:05:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/17/12 at 08:33:17:
http://www.htpweld.com/products/auto_body_tools/index.htm

This stuff is available at the tool rental shop not far from me,
Gay Rawn Teed to pull the dent..

Now,, the Big,, no, the Explosive question is,,
How can you be sure,, absotively, posilutely Certain, that the red glowing piece of the tank wont make the fumes inside go BOOM!??

The easy way would be to put some gas in the bottom of a container, a Very Open one, like a bowl, & put the tool on it from below & see if it lites the gas.. Im sayin it wont, cuz I know a cigarette can be flicked into gas & it wont lite, BUT, before I heated a piece of metal to glowing red hot, Id KNOW.. because if that tank explodes, its gonna cost someones widow a lot to clean up the mess,..
So, either decide it isnt dangerous by testing or purge the tank,
Ive heard of people brazing on gas tanks,, they run them full of exhaust gas with a hose from a car. After they air them out REal Good.

IDK if the tool would work if there was water against the metal on the inside, but if it would, Id put water in the tank,
YOu could determine that by trying to weld a brad onto anything thin metal, with water in it,
Tanks can be had,, heads & faces are much harder to replace.

Safety first,,

Gas needs a flame or a spark to ignite. Heat won't do it. I had a small leak in the gas tank of my 'Cruiser. The rad shop guy used a soldering iron to solder a penny over the leak. The tank had gas in it to a level just below the leak.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 21:23:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gas tank dent

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.