Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Tires (Read 108 times)
savagedan
Ex Member

New Tires
04/16/12 at 11:52:38

Hey guys,

So my '98 Savage appears to have stock tires on it. There are some hairline cracks along the front and rear tires. The front doesn't look too bad but the rear has this 12" long hairline crack running along the sidewall... Shocked I would prefer getting new tires  Grin

What is a recommend set of tires? What would a good price be? There are lots of shops around here but I want to call in and find out the price before getting gypped.

I am in LA and will be using the bike for short commuting purposes and weekend warrior style stuff. The commute is only a 10 minute drive and the weekend stuff will stay under 100mi. What are your suggestions?

P.S. Do you think my tires are safe enough to drive to a store to get my tires replaced? Or would it be better to just load it into my pickup?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: New Tires
Reply #1 - 04/16/12 at 12:34:38

You'll save a lot of cash if you pull the wheels yourself, and take them to the shop...
14yr old tires need replaced... but if they aren't separating yet, and hold air, I'd trust a slow ride to the shop... (under 40mph)... if that's your choice... (hauling, of course would be risk free)... (basically,.. your call.. you know your skills, and you can see the tires)..

For your purpose,... I wouldn't over-spend on tires...
Shinko 712's, or Kenda Cruz, will perform well, and last you 12 to 16k miles...
There are better, longer lasting tires, but they will dry out before you can wear them out with your purpose riding... so don't waste yer' money...
Buy new tubes as well... get a 90' valve on the rear (mounted to the brake side)...

Buy tires that will last you 3 to 5 years max... after that they will start drying out, and cracking.... and lose performance and safety...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
savagedan
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/16/12 at 14:38:29

Thanks, I will probably get the Kendas. I like the look of them and they seem to have great handling even in bouncier conditions  Smiley

Serowbot wrote on 04/16/12 at 12:34:38:
You'll save a lot of cash if you pull the wheels yourself, and take them to the shop...
14yr old tires need replaced... but if they aren't separating yet, and hold air, I'd trust a slow ride to the shop... (under 40mph)... if that's your choice... (hauling, of course would be risk free)... (basically,.. your call.. you know your skills, and you can see the tires)..

For your purpose,... I wouldn't over-spend on tires...
Shinko 712's, or Kenda Cruz, will perform well, and last you 12 to 16k miles...
There are better, longer lasting tires, but they will dry out before you can wear them out with your purpose riding... so don't waste yer' money...
Buy new tubes as well... get a 90' valve on the rear (mounted to the brake side)...

Buy tires that will last you 3 to 5 years max... after that they will start drying out, and cracking.... and lose performance and safety...

IP Logged
longtucky
YaBB Newbies

saavvaagge

Reply #3 - 04/16/12 at 21:48:41

I've been real happy with the bridgestone spitfires I put on the bobber project I'm working on. I got them online for quite a bit less than what the local shop was offering. Pulled the wheels off and had the local shop mount and balance them for $50.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 04/19/12 at 05:59:30

Dan I've had a Kenda Kruz on the back of my commuter bike...1980 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD since last fall and just put on the front Kruz a couple of weeks ago. I ride 80-90 miles a day to work and a lot of that is interstate. Rear has a couple of thou on it and front already has over 500 and I'm happy with them.

They are ok on my gravel county road and are real good on wet roads. I did see that the Dunlop 404's are cheaper and more available than the Kendas now so I may go to those next time.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 16:53:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Tires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.