Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Millions of people buying this $35 linux box (Read 196 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Millions of people buying this $35 linux box
04/16/12 at 09:29:26

I've been saying for a while that Microsoft only had one last real chance to keep their monopoly on operating systems with Windows 8.

And they have blown it again.   They have tried to restrict Win 8 to keep folks from having other operating systems on the machine (and got slapped down about it right smartly by the EC).   They have failed to lock out all the Linux competition.

So, to try to do the same thing by another path they want you force you (the loyal Windows people) to buy a NEW office for windows products to go on your ARM chipped products and then none of your old file formats will readily transfer.    Ain't that nice?

Meanwhile, this little $35 poppet has shown up on the market and has over a million back-orders waiting at this point in time.     Why?      Because it is a complete PC that will do Linux just fine and folks in Europe, Asia, Africa realize that it is stupid to pay Microsoft $350 for operating system and office software that does the exact same thing that Open Office does for free.   And now you have a $35 cute little PC to run it on.

All the information about it      http://www.raspberrypi.org/

A quick blurb that covers the high spots.

Warning:  don't jump on the bandwagon for this tiny PC for at least 6 months until all the new customized software sets for the little bugger are all written and completely debugged by the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of eager programmers jest salivating to get their hands on the little device.   Wait for the still yet cheaper cased version that will be dispersed through the school systems.

Because they can, the linux nerds will have written a little Linux distro that fits the completely understood and known RP device and it will also be able to use the massive GPU that the chipset has to share some of the computational workloads, so it will only get faster/better with some time.

IT IS INTENDED FOR CHILDREN -- so don't think it is too hard for you old farts to use.   Millions of grade school kids all over the world will suss it out completely, so you old grandpas can certainly do it too.

Cheesy

Meanwhile, I have been running Linux Mint for 2 full years now and I haven't booted my XP for the best part of 3 months now .... haven't needed it.   Linux seems to be workable good stuff to me.

Further amusing note:   My daughter went over to Mac about 5-6 years ago, paid OVER $3,000 for a super nice light Mac laptop then she shelled out a further $3,000 for software this and that and the other.  

She just got notified that her Mac OS has hit end of life and she needs to buy a new laptop/OS -- she was a little pissed at that because her old stuff is working fine and she HAS ALL THIS EXPENSIVE SOFTWARE THAT WON'T WORK ON THE NEW MACS.

I've been talking Mint to her hubby for a while and he has been dual booting Mint for over 2 years now on a Windows machine.   He likes it, so he took her mac, repartitioned it and put Linux Mint on it.

Mac is funny -- they stop supporting the OS and the machine simply stops not to long after that for some obscure and "unsupported" reason.

Eric showed Katie, my daughter her new boot time selection of OS systems and that he had found replacement open source softwares for everything she had spent $3,000 to buy at the Mac store.  

He knows durn well what is going to happen, she'll break bad and go buy a new Mac for herself and he'll inherit her perfectly good Mac laptop -- all sussed out and ready to go.

Cheesy

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MarkHB

Go for it!

Ottawa, Canada
Re: Millions of people buying this $35 linux box
Reply #1 - 04/16/12 at 11:06:58

As an avowed *nix fanboi, I'd love to believe that Linux will dethrone Microsoft's desktop monopoly. But it's not going to happen. People use what is pre-installed on the boxes they buy and/or want what their friend/family/business uses. Sure, some suppliers will pre-install Linux on a new purchase, but I think you still end up paying some kind of MS tax (or at least that was the case back in the day). And as much as I like OpenOffice/LibreOffice, it's not MS Office, no matter how much you want it to be.

There's also the routine maintenance/upgrade/sysadmin stuff you should be doing to keep a *nix box running smoothly. Modern distros might do a better job of this than I grew up with, but it's still largely beyond comprehension for people who think that their car only needs gas and oil changes to run.

And this is from someone who hasn't owned an MS-based computer since 1990 or so. (OS/2 Warp, then several Linux distros, then a Mac as of '06, and Linux at work).

Linux's real frontier for growth and excitement is the mobile and "invisible" (i.e. embedded where you don't know what's running) platforms. Android is good example here. MS hasn't been able to compete successfully here, and is likely never going to catch up.

But keep fighting the good fight, Oldfeller!

Stock White 2007 S40
Raptor petcock
1/2 white spacer
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #2 - 04/16/12 at 11:13:52

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/16/12 at 09:29:26:

Warning:  don't jump on the bandwagon for this tiny PC for at least 6 months until all the new customized software sets for the little bugger are all written and completely debugged by the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of eager programmers jest salivating to get their hands on the little device.   Wait for the still yet cheaper cased version that will be dispersed through the school systems.

Because they can, the linux nerds will have written a little Linux distro that fits the completely understood and known RP device and it will also be able to use the massive GPU that the chipset has to share some of the computational workloads, so it will only get faster/better with some time.

Me and three of my "eager linux nerd" friends bought these, ha ha. They ran into some distribution problems (something about their shippers wanted a certification that they part didn't have yet) and so we haven't received ours but we all have our ideas for it.

Right now we've got plans for an HTPC (home theater pc), a file server, an arcade machine emulator, and a home automation server.

given that these things have GPIO pins, you can (with a little additional circuitry, depending on the application) make them control/interface with just about anything that outputs a digital signal. so many possibilities!

the Beagle Board (http://beagleboard.org/) is another kind of tiny-pc device, but it is considerably more expensive, then again it is hard to stack up to $35.

the CPU on the raspberrypi i think is around 700mhz, which pales in comparison to what modern desktops can do (3.2ghz isn't uncommon) but the RP should/will handle internet, email, pictures, video (1080p HD video!), and word processing all just fine and dandy.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Reply #3 - 04/16/12 at 11:21:00

Im thinkin more infrastructure...

nas
(once dual nics) firewall
cloud

but yep im waiting on 2nd gen at least but for $35 dunno if i could go wrong... Guess ill wait till spacepirates gives it a heave ho...

and for a rock solid distro Sabayan or Gentoo... But for others who just want it to !@#!@! work... my preference for the masses is Onyx..last time i used mikersux '94... still vm winders to tshoot issues and support infrastructures with mikersux servers ... and 2/3 of all webservers out there... apache... 1/3 mikersux IIS...

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 04/16/12 at 12:08:59

Jest wait a bit .....  RP has been confirmed as going into the official Linux kernal tree next rev. along with all the nits & nats & nerds to turn on the GPU/CPU work sharing and do all the "hard switch" work/share that the big Broadcom GPU is fully capable of doing.

700 mhz CPU with a four times more powerful GPU all running off a 5 volt standard cell phone charger.   Requires no EMF case (but one would be still be nice because then they can overclock the CPU, the GPU and the HDMI outputs upwards considerably if it were in a metallized plastic case).

Since the Raspberry Pi main dudes all work at Broadcom in the department that is designing the Broadcom systems-on-a-chip stuff I would not be surprised to see some sort of next generation Raspberry Pi in a few years  with much better operating specs at the same low price point.

Those output pins could also power a adder board with increased "whatever folks thought they might need" in the short term.    

Still, with the completely tuned mini distro that is coming together as we speak, the thing could make up "an old man's PC" even as it is today.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #5 - 04/16/12 at 12:57:24

I hate cable salads,
those boxies are cute but wait till
you hook them up to all your stuff.

I am happy buying/fixing/owning "old" panasonic
toughbooks, they are the best, fast, cheap, upgradeable,
bulletproof, dustproof, waterproof, foodproof, fallproof and
can run any OS you want.

currently I have a dualboot CF-74 ($150) running a good ol'
hacked xp called tinyxp and also ubuntu.

Also have a thin client (under $50) with WiFi but no HHD
(OS runs off a CF card) hooked  up to a smallish flatscreen
(26", also under $50) for watching films and such.

Cool

« Last Edit: 04/16/12 at 20:09:08 by Stimpy - FSO »  

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #6 - 04/16/12 at 13:02:12

oh here, a 3min lesson a day is all it takes,

start TODAY!

http://www.codecademy.com/#!/exercises/0

Wink

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 04/16/12 at 17:49:35

Cable salad?

My existing PC has a cable salad that is even bigger, a big white CPU box sitting on the floor and jest ONE of the fans inside the case pulls more power than the Raspberry Pi does in total (discounting the screen which is a wash between the two systems).

Heck it takes more power just to run the power supply that sits in that case than the RP takes in total.

And the power supply costs more to replace than the RP, too.

The RP takes the power output from one  650 milliamp cell phone charger to run whole the show.

Three AAA batteries can run it for a couple of hours .....  (assumes the CRT screen has its own power in both cases)

I just hope the final package is fully fast enough to be useable once they get it all optimized.  

Think of it, gradeschool kid gets given a learning toy to use, he maximizes it, uses it to articulate his science lab project robots and keep data on his biology projects and at home he uses it to Tweet and Blog and play music and movies instead of doing his homework.

Then he grows up and gets MicroSofted for the first time  (screwed for thousands of dollars repeatedly).   But he remembers he can do the same stuff on his Pi or his cell phone or his tablet just as easily and a whole lot cheaper.

The upcoming generation isn't going to believe in MS or Apple so much ....  android and linux will be their fall backs.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 04/16/12 at 22:00:14

Some companies are paying attention to the shift in OS emphasis.

Lookie at these guys ...  selling a full system box for $278.   Lots of memory, lots of hard drive space.  Heck, I can remember paying that much for a 60 gigabite hard drive not all that many years ago.

Zotac AMD E-350 1.6 GHz Dual Core Mini PC with 320 GB HD, 2 GB DDR3 Memory and No OS Desktop Computer ZBOXNANO-AD10-PLUS-U

http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-Memory-Desktop-Computer-ZBOXNANO-AD10-PLUS-U/dp/B...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 04/16/12 at 23:01:02

This stuff is like rap.... I know it's in English...
...but I wonder when I fell off the bus... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 04/17/12 at 04:21:54

I don't think I ever got ON the bus. Huh
Years ago- probably '94 or so- I was part of a group of art teachers who were tasked to give other art teachers a taste of what computers could do for them in the classroom. The job was NOT given to me because of my experience with computers. I enlisted the help of my son, who is a Class A computer geek, and some other geeks from the school I was teaching at at the time. Each teacher sat at a computer with a mentor, who showed them how to surf the net for art related material, print out stuff, and other basic stuff. After that the teachers were all sitting around drinking coffee and the geeks were all clustered around a computer, talking.
I was listening to the geeks, and the only thing they said for about 20 min that I understood was  "Whoaaa...Coool!"

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 04/17/12 at 08:03:27

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/16/12 at 22:00:14:

Some companies are paying attention to the shift in OS emphasis.

Lookie at these guys ...  selling a full system box for $278.   Lots of memory, lots of hard drive space.  Heck, I can remember paying that much for a 60 gigabite hard drive not all that many years ago.

Zotac AMD E-350 1.6 GHz Dual Core Mini PC with 320 GB HD, 2 GB DDR3 Memory and No OS Desktop Computer ZBOXNANO-AD10-PLUS-U

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31zB3ZRWPDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-Memory-Desktop-Computer-ZBOXNANO-AD10-PLUS-U/dp/B...

LOL! I remember paying about $500 for a 32MB Seagate ST238 RLL drive.  It had a blazing 65ms access too!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 04/17/12 at 13:46:10

Serro,   the point is we are all falling off the bus.  

The kids determine what the future will be like and they don't care much about which gadget and which OS -- they geek them all and roll right along on "whatever" is at hand.

Google has the idea -- base yourself out of the cloud and you can get to your stuff from anywhere on anybody's hardware using "whatever" software is at hand.   Only requires a web touch path, that's all.

We are like total dinosaurs to them, typing on our keyboards and looking at our CRT screens.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #13 - 04/17/12 at 15:14:41

That's a cool little design. I'd buy one to play around with... But I'll still sell my computer builds all day long for a living. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 04/17/12 at 15:58:42

Yeah, cute... nice for media but I'll keep my 6 cores and 16 GB of RAM for serious database work.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 11:22:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › Millions of people buying this $35 linux box

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.