Send Topic Print
Hello from new member (Read 98 times)
lavabeast
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hello from new member
04/14/12 at 13:05:18

Hello to all. I'm new to the great site you have here. My wife decided she wants her own bike and the S40 seems to be the best one for her. I've been riding for over 20 years but never on an S40. Anything I should look for while shopping for a bike?

IP Logged
Buster

Motul 3000 10w40
Zinc 1407ppm

Oklahoma
Re: Hello from new member
Reply #1 - 04/14/12 at 14:59:45

I'm not one to give advice because I've only had mine for a month, but I don't think you could go wrong with the S40. I wasn't on a bike for over 25 years until I bought mine and I felt comfortable with its controls and handling after only a couple of miles. But the low-end torque did take a little longer to get used to. Love everything about the S40. Good luck finding the right one for you, and welcome.

2015 S40 (Pearl Moon Stone Gray)
OEM Pillow Seat - OEM Windshield

"Some may call this junk. Me, I call them treasures."
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #2 - 04/14/12 at 16:40:41

Great bike if she has no back issues (some backs object to the upright position).  Torque makes if very forgiving.....now she isn't going from the back of a goldwing and planning multi hundred mile rides??

IP Logged
lavabeast
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/14/12 at 17:10:57

No Gold Wing here. The S40 would be just for short trips arond town and such.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/15/12 at 08:34:15

To answer your question, sort-of, I guess it really depends a lot on what you are looking for. Obviously newer models are more likely to be in better shape; less miles, fewer issues.

Even if you are looking at older, higher mileage bikes, there are very few serious issues related to the Savage, and most of those are easy fixes.

I stumbled on mine; a '94 with 12,000 miles, last Fall. in nearly running condition, needed only a carb cleaning and re-build, for $250. That was a steal, I know, but last Fall I found several others that were run-able for $800 or less. Right now on Craigslist, it's Spring fever time, so the prices I am seeing are much higher (I still check in for fun...).

If you cruise through the Tech section on this forum, you'll get a good sense of what kinds of issues others have run into; the cam chain tensioner for example. Super-easy fix; possibly catastrophic if you don't, but not a concern on a newer bike.

These bikes are generally pretty bullet proof, and most of them that are out there have been beginner bikes, so even the older ones have very low miles and have never been run hard or abused. The thing to look for are signs of neglect; PO bought the bike, rode around a bit, outgrew it, parked it for two years, can't get it started and has given up trying after just 10 minutes in the garage...

Happy Hunting!!
Grin

IP Logged
palerider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #5 - 04/15/12 at 08:46:49

Well, I'm not a mechanic but am a woman rider.  I ran across a '96 savage and bought it with only 4800 miles on it.  I highly recommend this bike for her.  I ride with some buddies who have Harley Fat boys and this bike keeps up with no problem on the long country rides.  Its also nimble enough for local riding, errands, etc.  Go for it!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/15/12 at 09:13:10

Be aware that the cam chain commonly needs service around the 13 to 15,000 mile mark,, If you get one with 18 make sure youv got proof of it being done ,

be prepared to do the petcock test.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 04/15/12 at 09:17:18

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1