Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cam chain/Tensioner P&L Replacement $Cost$ ?? (Read 127 times)
locomotiveman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota USA
Cam chain/Tensioner P&L Replacement $Cost$ ??
04/13/12 at 21:42:29

Great Verslager1 Cam Chain 'Library of Problems' within this Forum. My bike's 3,000 miles of babied life hopefully won't need a C-Chain Re-do, BUT I'm curious; What's the going 2012 Dealer/Shop $Rate$ in the USA for a Complete CamChain/Tensioner guides replacement job...Parts AND Labor??
Scary High??  Locomotiveman

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Cam chain/Tensioner P&L Replacement $Cost$ ??
Reply #1 - 04/14/12 at 01:51:52

You just want the price of the job or you want the price of repairs after you let them work on it, too?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
locomotiveman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota USA
Reply #2 - 04/14/12 at 12:56:36

Justin O guy 2,
Yeah...good one. But I'm AM curious....as I've never taken any bike to a Dealer for repairs since 1964.  Locomotiveman

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 04/14/12 at 19:38:26

I guess you should call a shop & ask them,,, make sure to ask what parts they would plan on replacing.

IF you take it in, make sure they know you want all the old parts.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Cam chain/Tensioner P&L Replacement $Cost$
Reply #4 - 04/14/12 at 21:50:33

For what you would pay a shop to do it (and then the costs of fixing what they screw up doing it) you could buy a complete set of metric tools and then still pay yourself $35 an hour to work on it yourself and still come out cheaper.

Also be aware they will do a lot more than you ask them to -- once they start taking things apart they might just "see a bad scratch on your cylinder wall" and call you recommending a rebore, new piston, rings, etc. etc.

Besides, it is all fiction at 3,000 miles -- call us back after you put another 10,000 on it.

Lastly, you asked the wrong question.  

We would show you the Verslaggy trick for less than $100 (clutch side gasket included).

They would sell you a $120 cam chain and two $85 guides, $100 worth of various gaskets and minor parts and then all that labor ($600) for a top end teardown.  (most of which you didn't really need)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
locomotiveman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota USA
Reply #5 - 04/15/12 at 19:27:09

Oldfeller,
I've NO intention of remotely considering it for now at 3,000 miles with nary a rattle or slap inside the cases....I was just morbidly curious about what a Stealership would charge.  Your $numbers$ are truly in my 'Way Scary' range. Thanks for the 'guesstimate. Locomotiveman

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 04/15/12 at 19:44:16

Hey, dont let the cost of the job put you off,, Yea, its high, but its nothing compared to the damage theyll likely do..

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #7 - 04/15/12 at 19:47:07

I can tell you the dealer my friend bought his '09 C50 from charged over $400 for the 600 mile service. They were supposed to adjust the valves among other things, but I know they didn't because when I did his 6000 mile service they were way off. He complained about how noisy they still were after the 600, but they were much quieter after the 6000 mile adjustment.

Oh, I did the 6000 because a different dealer told him they would have to order shims before they could do it. IDIOTS!!! Angry

BTW, at 12k he traded for a V-Star 950 T which doesn't have a valve adjustment scheduled until 16k & is way easier to do. At 16k, the most any were off was .003. The C50 had some .006-8 too loose at 6k. Shocked

To protect yourself, you need to know more about your bike than the dealer no matter what you ride. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:45:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam chain/Tensioner P&L Replacement $Cost$ ??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.