Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question About Battery/Electrical in general (Read 41 times)
Dalziel_A
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Question About Battery/Electrical in general
04/13/12 at 05:04:36

Hello there,
I just bought an '01 savage that hasn't been running for over two years on account of the previous owner not being able to figure out an electrical problem. I know pretty much nothing about bikes myself as of now but hope to soon change that with this purchase.

Anyway, the first thing I wanted to do was charge up the battery and see if there's at least a spark getting to the engine. The battery was dead and dried up of course, after sitting for 2+ years. I have read that you can add distilled water into the individual cells to top them off, let it sit for a while, and then set it on a trickle charge and it may bring it back for you. Is there any shred of validity to this at all? I figure I'll need to get a new battery anyway, but just wanted to see if there's anything that can be done to this one first.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Question About Battery/Electrical in general
Reply #1 - 04/13/12 at 05:24:04

Some times that will work quite well........ except that the battery will usually be on the weakish side. By making good use of a maintainer charger, a weakish battery can do the job for quite a while.
Just water it, charge it, and let it set for a day or 3. If it will still crank the bike, you're good for a while.

The hardest part mite be to get it to start charging.
On a manual charger it may want to kick the circuit breaker till it gets going, or it may not do anything.
An electronic charger just won't do nothing but go in to fault mode.
In either case, you may have to jumper the bike battery to your car or any other 12v battery, then connect the charger for several hrs before it will charge on its own.   

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Question About Battery/Electrical in general
Reply #2 - 04/13/12 at 06:05:16

YOuve got to have the battery out to add water, suggest you take it to be tested,, You know the bike has problems & will be hard to get going, working around a weak battery while you try to solve this is gonna be a Huge hassle. Why spend your time messing with a battery that is most likely toast, anyway?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 03:42:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question About Battery/Electrical in general

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.