Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Something wrong with the steering ? (Read 135 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Something wrong with the steering ?
04/13/12 at 00:07:23

I just collected my Savage from the dealership workshop, no issue with all the jobs they did - other than forgetting to rehaul the front brake pump which is rock stiff and won't brake much  Undecided

My issue is that I find the steering a little odd...
...meaning that the bike tends to "close" to full right or full left at a standstill, or at any speed.

In other words, I have to keep my hands BOTH on the grips, else, instead of keeping a straight line she will make the best of any little ripple in the road and tend to close into a tight curve.

The steering is, in my view, unstable.

Unfortunately, the Savage was laid up a year and a half and in the meantime I rode another, completely different bike,
a big BMW 1200 which is rock solid and breezes away on longitudinal corrugations which I remember made the little Savage wiggle like a hula dancer
(she's also twice as heavy... getting back on the Savage made me feel like I was riding a little boy's tricycle!  Cheesy).

So... is it me who am "spoiled" by the big Beemer... or is the Savage's steering actually flawed by bad bearings or something?

As I am looking to stiffen up the suspension, would a DR650 enduro (or any 38mm front fork with a forward mounted axle, for that matter) be an acceptable swap, or should I change the triple tree as well ?

Undecided Undecided Undecided

HELP ?  Embarrassed

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Something wrong with the steering ?
Reply #1 - 04/13/12 at 03:47:21

you could try longer rear shocks, that will quicken the steering, but the ls 650 is a slow steering bike by design so you still might not be satisfied.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 04/13/12 at 04:37:48

Remove the stem bolt, bearings, etc., and check everthing and replace bearings if needed; then grease & assemble to proper spec for the stem/nut.
It may or may not change the feel of it compared to the Beemer but you will know that everything is the way it should be and won't have any concerns about things coming apart on you.
Might as well service your forks at the same time.  You can do it all on an easy Saturday.  
Suggestion: use 15 wt. fork oil vs the 10 wt. listed; it will firm up the feel of the front end.  I use 20 wt. but I ride a bit harder than average and prefer the heavier feel.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #3 - 04/13/12 at 05:57:47

Thanks LANCER  Smiley

I was actually considering swapping the front fork with something off a dual sports.

I replacing the two stems sufficient (I will need to use the donor's front wheel as well I guess  Roll Eyes ) or should I transplant the triple tree as well?

My idea is to have a cool freeway cruiser (keep in mind my cruising speed is 55/60-ish)

Cool Regards  Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/13/12 at 06:23:14

the dr 650 forks are 43mm diameter, so you need to use the dr triple trees.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #5 - 04/14/12 at 02:16:20

dr1445 wrote on 04/13/12 at 06:23:14:
the dr 650 forks are 43mm diameter, so you need to use the dr triple trees.

Roger that.

The "unfortunate" thing is I have just spent very good money on a ner front tire, and want to ensure the new front wheel is a 19", not a 21" as is found on most enduros and some cruisers (Kawas I think)

I'm on the lookout for a decent front fork with 38mm stems in the local equivalent to Craig's List, will see what I can find.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/14/12 at 02:41:55

maybe this will help find the perfect fit if there is such a thing. in the meantime + one on lancers advise and the longer rear shocks will help steering response.

http://www.ohiocaferacers.com/OCRTubeSizes.pdf

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #7 - 04/14/12 at 16:36:04

dr1445 wrote on 04/14/12 at 02:41:55:
maybe this will help find the perfect fit if there is such a thing. in the meantime + one on lancers advise and the longer rear shocks will help steering response.

http://www.ohiocaferacers.com/OCRTubeSizes.pdf

Shocked

WOW ! Thank you, I didn't expect such a wealth of info !!!

Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/14/12 at 16:56:52

mpescatori wrote on 04/13/12 at 00:07:23:
My issue is that I find the steering a little odd...
...meaning that the bike tends to "close" to full right or full left at a standstill, or at any speed.

In other words, I have to keep my hands BOTH on the grips, else, instead of keeping a straight line she will make the best of any little ripple in the road and tend to close into a tight curve.

The steering is, in my view, unstable.

at a standstill... verticle?
I know it will with the wheel off the ground, but usually at a stop light it will stay put.  And I don't get very many opportunities to take my hands off except to coast up to a light, but it does stay straight.

maybe your bearings are just a tad loose?
with the front brake on, rock the bike back and forth... do you hear a clunk?

WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #9 - 04/17/12 at 05:24:19

Hello Verslagen  Smiley No clunk at all, very stable front fork etc.

Had the bike seen by my BMW mechanic, one look and he explained everything.

Very raked front fork (OEM, but still more rake than most), very low seat when compared to the triple tree and handlebars, short rear shocks and narrow 19" wheel, all contribute to having a "very manoeuverable" front end.

He also says to be careful as I come from 18 months' riding a Beemer which is steady as a train (he's right, the Beemer IS steady).

1" longer rear shocks, thicker front wheel, new fork with forward mounted axle will all contribute to give a "steadier than thou" front end.

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #10 - 04/17/12 at 06:03:39

That Ohio Cafe Racer's club is good info, but they haven't kept it updated with the years.

All Balls Racing's website has a front end conversion calculator type thing:
http://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconvertion

Put the savage in as your bike and see what front ends you can use (some require new bearings, and this doesn't factor in stem length).

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:19:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Something wrong with the steering ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.