Dies on highway... (Read 207 times)
jcharro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Dies on highway...
04/12/12 at 06:17:24

Hello everyone,
I just want to thank everyone for their input on this forum. It is a classroom in itself. I love coming back to read and learning new stuff everyday.

Well I have a question today. I bought a 2001 LS650 back in January this year. Ive never had a problem with it intil two weeks ago and and now. Seems like in town and city boulevards runs like a champ. But once I hit the highway after traveling maybe 10-20 miles out of nowhere it will suddenly just loose power, sputter and backfire and eventually die if I don't give it full throttle. The first time it left me in the middle of an 80 foot over pass for about 5 minutes. I just decided to hit the clutch and let it roll back slowly. After being frustrated I decided to put it on neutral and hit that start and fired right up. Got home safely that night. Second time it did it again this time I just gave it all the throttle possible and sputtered and backfired for 2 minutes till I was able to get back on the highway. I throw it into lower gears to get it to not turn off and give it gas and slowly but surely it gets back to normal. Can anyone explain what might be the problem. Any pointers would surely be appreciated. Thanks guys!

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Re: Dies on highway...
Reply #1 - 04/12/12 at 06:21:25

just a guess...
check the main jet for blockage
check the petcock

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/12/12 at 06:35:40

So, youre running along, steady throttle, cruising speed 60 or so & it just starts running out of steam & sputtering & it dies, but you can restart w/o
having to put it on prime?

If thats true, youre not running out of gas in the bowl, which means vacuum is keeping the petcock delivering gas.

MOre details about how it runs, accelerates, has top speed dropped off,,
Still,, its old enough to question the petcock,, otta run that test,,

If it starts to act up, & you twist it wide open, it keeps running, but how Good is it running?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Theseus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cary, NC
Reply #3 - 04/12/12 at 07:34:24

You already know this, but be careful with a bike like that, especially at high speeds. We don't want "dies on highway" to become a description of you instead of just the bike. ;)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/12/12 at 09:24:44

1st thing I do anytime it leans out and sputters is to throw it prime immediately.

check out sewrowbots petcock check in the tech section.

next would be to clean the carb, you might have some dirt getting sucked up into the main at just the wrong time.

WWW   IP Logged
jcharro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/12/12 at 09:55:29

Thanks Guys..
I appreciatee your feedback, I have done just the basic maintenance, oil change, tires, clutch cables, brake pads, but have never messed with the carburetorr or petcock. Iwill have look at that this weekend. I will givey'alll update. Thanks again.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 04/12/12 at 10:16:49

Here is your tech post on how to check the petcock.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

+1 on junking the vac petcock and replacing it with a Raptor.   Folks who try to fix the stock vac petcock tend to find the replacement rubber does the same things after 3-7 years (and you get to do it all over again).  

Raptor once, fixed forever .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #7 - 04/12/12 at 11:53:13

And make sure there's not something in the tank that's blocking the fuel out sometimes. Sludge, a piece of gunk or a chip of paint.

Wondering, would a bit of water in the gas cause something like this intermitantly? My spelling sucketh.

Jack

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/12/12 at 12:31:07

If it went lean & died, wouldnt he have to hit Prime to restart? Wouldnt the bowl be dry? Unless its lean because theres something in the bowl that clogs the jet, then falls out when the flow stops?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 04/13/12 at 12:53:37

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/12/12 at 12:31:07:
If it went lean & died, wouldnt he have to hit Prime to restart? Wouldnt the bowl be dry? Unless its lean because theres something in the bowl that clogs the jet, then falls out when the flow stops?

Jog,
you are using logical thinkin along w/ common sense, but you know that that doesn work here. Petcock paranoia has set in and is here to stay.
Nothing will work untill petcock paranoia leaves by way of raptorizing before anything else. And when that fails to fix the problem, then the techs can come back in w/ logical thinking and common sense. Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 04/13/12 at 15:48:09

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/12/12 at 12:31:07:

My spidy sense is tingling.... Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 04/13/12 at 16:13:12

dead spiders in the float bowl ???
Where have you been riding ?
Or maybe we don't want to know .... Cool

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #12 - 04/13/12 at 16:38:49

Now now arteacher, be careful or your arachnophobia is going to spread to the rest of us!  We have enough spider paranoia as it is.  Before long, we'll not be able to ride anywhere anymore, not without a bee suit and two cans of Raid holstered on each side of the tank! People already think extermination is the cure for all their bike's ills.. don't egg them on.  Grin

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 04/13/12 at 18:02:47

don't egg them on.

Really? You had to go there after all the talk about critters? Daaang..

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 04/13/12 at 18:47:57

Eggs?  OMG, spiders lay them by the tens of thousands, generally up in your headlight is the most common sheltered spot for spider egg laying.   They wait for a thunderstorm and then they hatch out and play themselves down little bitty spider silk threads when the wind is up, so as to get dispersed as far as possible when the little thread snaps and the wind carries them away.

Problem is your Savage sounds a lot like a thunderstorm when it is running, and the wind is there so the little buggers thread themselves out all over chest and down your collar and up your face plate before you even get a good idea about what is happening.

"Little new-born spider, flew up the rider's snout,

Down came the sneeze and flushed the spider out.

Out came the sun and dried up all the sneeze,

Little bitty spider was up again, quick as you could please.

Up rolled the eyes and the shouts of pain began,

Little bitty spider, he had a poison gland.

In the mortuary, the mortician began the cut,

Slice went the knife and the spiders came pouring out.

The mortician he went crazy and he began to run,

Little bitty spiders, they climbed up and found his bum.

Shocked   Shocked   Shocked   Shocked   Shocked   Shocked   Shocked   Shocked   Shocked   Shocked   Shocked   Shocked   Shocked

So the moral of this story is to keep your headlight sprayed,

Them little bitty spiders, they are not fond of Raid."

Grin      The End       Grin

« Last Edit: 04/13/12 at 20:51:00 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 19:39:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dies on highway...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.