Send Topic Print
Messin' with my bars (Read 112 times)
vineman

Oh sweet Ruby how
you tease!

Mid MO
Messin' with my bars
04/11/12 at 18:41:20

I was bored yesterday and thought "hey, I've always wanted to see what the bike would be like with low aggressive drag bars" So I went to Ace to get the appropriate hardware and this is what I came up with.

Problem is they are too close so they hit the tank when I turn the forks sharply. And i of course accidentally scratched my tank because I'm used to just letting the forks fall when i stop and get off.  Angry

I love the look and it really wasn't as uncomfortable riding as I thought it might be yet still not as comfortable as before but I'm thinking that may be remedied by some wider bars along with the hitting of the tank. I'm thinking this setup with the forward control extensions and I might have a winner for around town.  Cheesy  

I was wondering if there was anyone on here running wide drag bars on their bike?

Our bars are 1" right?

2007 ls650 s40, Ruby Red, Nighttrain muffler, pod air filter, 155 main, chain conversion, superbrace fork brace, vista cruise cruise control, and a helluva lotta fun
  IP Logged
aintright
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

eerie, pa
Re: Messin' with my bars
Reply #1 - 04/11/12 at 19:33:32

i just measured my bars today, yes they are 1" well at least on my 07 s40. i'm planning on doing some bar mods soon too, but i leaning more towards some mini apes. or just make my own that i think look cool

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 04/12/12 at 07:55:26

Search around on here and you will find some of the other people have used BMX pegs and 1/2" drive sockets as cheap risers that will give you a little more lift without going all the way to the length of the stock risers that were on that bike.  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
vineman

Oh sweet Ruby how
you tease!

Mid MO
Reply #3 - 04/12/12 at 09:58:56

EJID wrote on 04/12/12 at 07:55:26:
Search around on here and you will find some of the other people have used BMX pegs and 1/2" drive sockets as cheap risers that will give you a little more lift without going all the way to the length of the stock risers that were on that bike.  Cool

Ya I had seen the socket risers and it made me kinda laugh but hey! it works! and doesn't look half bad either. But, I did have trouble finding bolts long enough to reach through the triple tree top into the risers. Longest allen head I could find was 3 1/4" and that was barely long enough. I guess I way have to go to a specialty harware place to get bolts long enough to go through the risers and into the bar clamp.

2007 ls650 s40, Ruby Red, Nighttrain muffler, pod air filter, 155 main, chain conversion, superbrace fork brace, vista cruise cruise control, and a helluva lotta fun
  IP Logged
skeebo

Ride It Like U Stole
It........

Fresno, Cali
Reply #4 - 04/13/12 at 10:34:33

I made my own bars fro DOM chr-mo, the backsweep on drag bars is only a few degrees and can be done, but were talking about handlebars, If you are not 100 percent sure drag bars are plentiful and cheap. I built a stop for drag bars, It mounts under the headlamp and the nylon stops can be fine tuned once the bars and controls are dialed.

show_005.JPG

95'......Its Kinda Like Bobber Rode A Rat Bike To A Cafe Race.....Thing
  IP Logged
vineman

Oh sweet Ruby how
you tease!

Mid MO
Reply #5 - 04/13/12 at 12:19:03

skeebo wrote on 04/13/12 at 10:34:33:
 I made my own bars fro DOM chr-mo, the backsweep on drag bars is only a few degrees and can be done, but were talking about handlebars, If you are not 100 percent sure drag bars are plentiful and cheap. I built a stop for drag bars, It mounts under the headlamp and the nylon stops can be fine tuned once the bars and controls are dialed.

Took me a couple seconds to get what exactly what you were saying but I gotcha now. The only problem with modifying the stops at the triple tree is that you can't use the stock handle lock. Which is NECESSARY where I live.

IP Logged
skeebo

Ride It Like U Stole
It........

Fresno, Cali
Reply #6 - 04/13/12 at 12:25:40

Right....thats an issue.

95'......Its Kinda Like Bobber Rode A Rat Bike To A Cafe Race.....Thing
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print