RideToOblivion
YaBB Newbies

Slowly but surely
getting some
mileage.

Champaign, Illinois
New tires
04/11/12 at 12:21:30

Hi I've been looking around at new tires for my 2001 Suzuki Savage LS650 and find a lot in 140/90-15. Will these have any issues when stock is 140/80-15.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1308704632 I read through this post and it seems fine but no one specified model/year so makeing sure.
Thanks

P.S. Looking at Spitfire S11's cause im going to order a front tire of the same brand.

I decided not to wear a helmet..then I swallowed a june bug. Lesson learned.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: New tires
Reply #1 - 04/11/12 at 13:14:21

I have that size on my '98, though mine is a Dunlop 491.  If you are using stock shocks and have the Suzuki saddlebag supports installed, the tire will probably rub the mounting bolts on the left side.  No saddlebag supports or taller shocks and you're probably good.  If you are using stock shocks and have the Suzuki saddlebag supports installed, you can mitigate the rubbing by setting your shock presets to their highest/stiffest and replacing the saddlebag mounting bolts with mushroom cap allen bolts.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
RideToOblivion
YaBB Newbies

Slowly but surely
getting some
mileage.

Champaign, Illinois
Reply #2 - 04/11/12 at 13:39:06

Thanks for the reply. No saddlebag supports on mine but pretty sure they are stock shocks. Ill give the 140/90-15 a shot. Now if I can find tubes for them.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 04/11/12 at 13:40:02

RideToOblivion wrote on 04/11/12 at 13:39:06:
Thanks for the reply. No saddlebag supports on mine but pretty sure they are stock shocks. Ill give the 140/90-15 a shot. Now if I can find tubes for them.

Try to get one with a 90o bend otherwise you will be cussing at it everytime you check the air  Angry

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
RideToOblivion
YaBB Newbies

Slowly but surely
getting some
mileage.

Champaign, Illinois
Reply #4 - 04/11/12 at 13:48:28

haha been there done that already.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 04/11/12 at 14:14:24

Without the saddlebag supports you should be okay.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #6 - 04/12/12 at 19:30:13

Are you getting the ones with raised white letters, or blackwall?  Let us know how they perform.  I'm considering getting a matched set with the white letters, as my stock tires are beginning to weather check.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #7 - 04/12/12 at 23:56:43

I have just fitted a Pirelli 140/90x15 on my Savage, with saddlebag guards and mushroom head bolts, no issue at all even with the OEM shocks at the softest setting.

As for the inner tube, my best guess is that whatever fits the 140/80 will fit the 140/90, the tire dealer said they're the same tube... rubber stretches a millimeter or so extra but is still contained by the tire.

Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 05:33:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New tires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.