Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how hard is bodywork? (Read 126 times)
LostArtist
Ex Member

how hard is bodywork?
04/11/12 at 11:34:46

so I need to do some bodywork before painting my custom cut out fairing, it's kinda rough on the edges, not like crazy but it's not perfect either.  I went to a local place and they said it'd be about $750 for them to do the body work and paint it, which is still an option but not terribly attractive. but I do want this to look good and have some pride in it so I'm not sure if this being my first piece of body work and probably my only piece of bodywork, if it's worth it for me to spend the time and money on the equipment, supplies, paint, etc to do myself.  

I've started taking the approach of letting other people to this kind of work for me since it's not a business I want to be in and I have so much more on my plate with my grad studies and what not. but I take no joy in spending $750 either.  

the fairing kinda looks like this now

with just the middle pieces.  

the goal is to end up with something like :

I know it's not a savage, but I trust you people, and I like you all so I can't leave here. I don't post much in this rubber side down area though.  

any help and advice is appreciated.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: how hard is bodywork?
Reply #1 - 04/11/12 at 12:12:45

Neat little project.  I'd probably do a combination.. do all the alignment/attachment/bondo/sanding type work yourself while you have the bike right there to fit it to.  But then drop the fairing off at the body shop for paint. You'd not have to leave the Triumph at the shop (during spring riding weather) and you're more likely to have the patience to get everything all perfect, smoothness and alignment-wise, before the painting phase.  Once it is painted, you can have them fix or buff out any defects before you take delivery.

Maybe read over Motobuddha's Ryca build thread to get psyched up for patiently working some lead into gold..

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/11/12 at 12:13:54

Id visit body shops & hunt for someone who does some work at home,, you can help with the prep work, which is a pain in the butt & no one likes it & they charge good $$$ for it,, & it eats materials that ARE expensive,, $750.00 is a lot of $$$,, You otta be able to save 1/2 of that by finding a moonlightin bodyman,, & buying the beer & getting your hands dirty,
DO Not use anything silicone based on or near that bike if its gonna be where the paint work is done. Dont let any kind of silicone near your project, it makes paint "fisheye" real bad.

This stuff is not hard, but requires experience to do well & in anything near a reasonable amount of time, Sanding around on fiberglass can sure make waves if done by inexperienced hands, there is technique involved in running abrasives over soft surfaces. I simply will not do bodywork on a fiberglass body,, I hate it, I hate it I hate it,, if the patch is harder than the body, its about impossible to sand it & not screw it up..& Ive never seen fiberglass that wasnt harder than the body panels on a vette..
This is a learning curve I wouldn't recommend without at least supervision,, help would be even better.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/11/12 at 13:20:38

You could look around for a trade school or high school that has a body shop program.  The students might need a project.  You could also check your local Craigslist, as the one in this area often has a posting for a fellow that paints motorcycle tanks at reasonable rates.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/11/12 at 13:28:49

At my job, I charge about $750 for a full day's work, and I know darned well that this would take me WAY more than a full day's work. I have a little bit of body work experience; enough to get by, but not enough to make anything really nice, let alone factory looking.

That $750 might well be money well spent, if you are sure these guys are really that good... I know the guy I work with would charge that much, maybe even more...

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 04/11/12 at 14:11:00

Dave wrote on 04/11/12 at 13:20:38:
You could look around for a trade school or high school that has a body shop program.  The students might need a project.  You could also check your local Craigslist, as the one in this area often has a posting for a fellow that paints motorcycle tanks at reasonable rates.

I have had work done by HS students before. They take a long time to do it compared to a pro shop, and in my experience the work is not as good. Mechanical work is inspected by the auto teacher, for liability reasons, but body work is hit and miss.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
skeebo

Ride It Like U Stole
It........

Fresno, Cali
Reply #6 - 04/11/12 at 18:19:34

$750.00 seems steep for prep and paint on a single fairing, even with minor rebuild on the edges. I could not get that where I live, a customer would just go down the street.

95'......Its Kinda Like Bobber Rode A Rat Bike To A Cafe Race.....Thing
  IP Logged
skeebo

Ride It Like U Stole
It........

Fresno, Cali
Reply #7 - 04/11/12 at 18:30:01

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/11/12 at 12:13:54:
Id visit body shops & hunt for someone who does some work at home,, you can help with the prep work, which is a pain in the butt & no one likes it & they charge good $$$ for it,, & it eats materials that ARE expensive,, $750.00 is a lot of $$$,, You otta be able to save 1/2 of that by finding a moonlightin bodyman,, & buying the beer & getting your hands dirty,
DO Not use anything silicone based on or near that bike if its gonna be where the paint work is done. Dont let any kind of silicone near your project, it makes paint "fisheye" real bad.

This stuff is not hard, but requires experience to do well & in anything near a reasonable amount of time, Sanding around on fiberglass can sure make waves if done by inexperienced hands, there is technique involved in running abrasives over soft surfaces. I simply will not do bodywork on a fiberglass body,, I hate it, I hate it I hate it,, if the patch is harder than the body, its about impossible to sand it & not screw it up..& Ive never seen fiberglass that wasnt harder than the body panels on a vette..
This is a learning curve I wouldn't recommend without at least supervision,, help would be even better.  

Fiberglass...I love it, I love, I love it......You can wrap my a$$ in fiberglass anyday!

001.JPG

95'......Its Kinda Like Bobber Rode A Rat Bike To A Cafe Race.....Thing
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/13/12 at 11:22:31

found a place that'll do it for $500- $600  Cheesy   but their black might not match the black of the bike, I'm going to give them a side cover and see what they think of how close it matches their black

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 07:58:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › how hard is bodywork?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.