Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Is it possible to make a cheap DIY Air Fuel Meter? (Read 448 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Is it possible to make a cheap DIY Air Fuel Me
Reply #45 - 04/24/12 at 10:13:41

I've been mostly absent from this thread and missed out on some of the frustration.
I understand totally trying to save $$ on a setup; I did the same but the no-name meter I finally found on ebay was not workable for me since I could not figure out what wires from the meter went where.
I ended up getting this K&N kit, but have yet to install it.
One of the many things waiting to be completed.

Below is the Kit from K&N that has everything needed.
Retails for just under $300 ... yea, crazy.
Online direct price of $210.99

My dealer cost for this kit is about $150-160 if I remember correctly.
If anyone wants one I will sell them for my purchase and shipping cost.

http://store.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=85-2441

K&N 85-2441
Performance Products - Round Air/Fuel Ratio; Complete
K&N Air/Fuel Monitors and accessories are designed to help performance enthusiasts calibrate an optimum air/fuel mixture ratio. The monitor will work on carbureted, injected, supercharged or turbocharged engines using unleaded gasoline, alcohol, propane or nitrous oxide. It will not work with nitromethane or diesel fuels. Using the instrument to monitor the engine’s air/fuel mixture ratio, a tuner can adjust for power, economy and/or improved drivability. [MORE]

85-2441  List Price: $ 293.86
Your Price: $ 210.99

You Save 28.2%

K&N 85-2441 Product Specifications
Product Style: Accessories
Weight: 0.54 lb (0.25 kg)
Product Box Length: 12 in (305 mm)
Product Box Width: 9.06 in (230 mm)
Product Box Height: 2.5 in (64 mm)

K&N Store Inventory Status
In stock

Additional Information
Installation Instruction Sheet
Installation Instruction Sheet
Large Picture
Medium Picture
Small Picture

K&N 85-2441

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #46 - 04/24/12 at 10:33:30

I look at things like that & wonder

"How do it KNOW?"

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #47 - 04/24/12 at 11:28:21

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/24/12 at 10:33:30:
I look at things like that & wonder

"How do it KNOW?"

Well, since you asked...
The zirconium dioxide, or zirconia, lambda sensor is based on a solid-state electrochemical fuel cell called the Nernst cell. Its two electrodes provide an output voltage corresponding to the quantity of oxygen in the exhaust relative to that in the atmosphere. An output voltage of 0.2 V (200 mV) DC represents a "lean mixture" of fuel and oxygen, where the amount of oxygen entering the cylinder is sufficient to fully oxidize the carbon monoxide (CO), produced in burning the air and fuel, into carbon dioxide (CO2). An output voltage of 0.8 V (800 mV) DC represents a "rich mixture", one which is high in unburned fuel and low in remaining oxygen. The ideal setpoint is approximately 0.45 V (450 mV) DC. This is where the quantities of air and fuel are in the optimum ratio, which is ~0.5% lean of the stoichiometric point, such that the exhaust output contains minimal carbon monoxide. (from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_sensor#Zirconia_sensor)

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #48 - 04/24/12 at 11:41:39

Those kits make me wonder what makes them worth it. $300 asking price is STEEP. Especially if the parts add up to not much. The real variable here is the O2 sensor itself. I got mine for $15, but some are hundreds alone.

LANCER, if you give that "scirocco" link in the first post another gander, it looks pretty similar to what you posted. I'm curious as to why the cost is so high. Maybe that O2 sensor is much better than what I picked up? The circuitry to light up some LEDs based on a voltage is fairly minimal, so I can't imagine much cost there. Maybe it is just rarity?

I dunno, that's cool that you've got a kit and will offer it up like that.

As for O2 wiring diagrams... this might help: http://www.ngk.com/glossaryImage.asp?imgID=309 and http://www.aa1car.com/library/o2sensor.htm

--
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #49 - 04/24/12 at 11:54:56

Generaly speaking, wide band and heated sensors are more money.  Specific fit sensors with the factory connecters are also more money.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #50 - 04/24/12 at 17:44:14

SALB wrote on 04/24/12 at 11:54:56:
Generaly speaking, wide band and heated sensors are more money.  Specific fit sensors with the factory connecters are also more money.

Y E P  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #51 - 04/24/12 at 18:11:57

& selling a turnkey outfit ( convenience) costs mo mun nee..
Not everyone has the time, or ability to do a DIY unit,, And, If they do the DIY & they have their time & $$$ in it & it doesnt work,, they really dont have a warranty department to go to.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #52 - 04/26/12 at 06:49:17

I promised pictures, so here they are, albeit late:

(for bigger image: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/bXXWTsekeWD_YkHd42xGKNMTjNZETYmyPJy0lii...)

another angle: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/OhtqhDuBzeW5WPbDHGEImdMTjNZETYmyPJy0lii...

and what was causing some rattle in my exhaust:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FF_tzVrWZSUx-ZSIVP_KXtMTjNZETYmyPJy0lii...

I haven't had a chance to test out the O2 sensor yet, but it doesn't seem that the bung leaks. can't tell from putting a hand around it or from a change in exhaust behavior. There are plans to grind down the weld (not too bad for my second time welding,  i guess) and clean it up a bit, after which I'll put some water on it with the bike cold to see if it bubbles. The weather has become cold(er) and wet(ter), not sure what that means for getting out and testing it. I did take the bike to the bar last night, but I didn't exactly what to take my multimeter with me. maybe I'll take it tonight, i'm going to look at a 1979 GS850 which are notorious for electrical woes anyways.

EDIT: oh yeah, forgot to explain the muffler rattle. I had been hearing a metallic rattle at random times on the bike. I orginally thought it was clutch related as I would only hear it when actuating the clutch, but it turned out that that was the only time the engine was quite enough AND thumping enough to allow me to hear the rattling. When I took off the exhaust to drill/weld it, a hand full of those baffle tabs fell out so I looked inside and I could see that the baffle had cracked in half and collapsed on itself. lovely. This probably happened a solid year ago, so I'm not too concerned about it, just kind of amusing.

--
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #53 - 05/04/12 at 13:29:01

it works! I guess. My bike has been acting tempermental in the warm weather at idle, and the O2 sensor is giving a reading of .86 volts!

Pulling the plug later tonight after the bike cools to verify that i'm overly rich.

Ordered $5 of parts from digikey (voltage rectifier, led bar graph, led bar graph driver) yesterday, so they'll hopefully be in middle of next week. I'll get that rigged up on my bike and see how the rest of the throttle range reads.

--
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #54 - 05/04/12 at 16:04:12

So, your experiment is, by all indications, a success! Great news,,, gotta love it when ya do a DIY on that kind of a project & win,,
Now, for the Big Evaluation,,

How much is a kit? How much have you got in it? How much time have you got in it? Not to the minute, but kinda sorta, planning, shopping, & hands on doing it? The nice thing is, what youve done is prove it can be done, so, the planning/designing & shopping time is handled for anyone who wants to follow your path. So, I could come in behind you now & just buy the stuff & go to work,, some drilling, welding, wiring & riding . Whoever follows will benefit greatly & save some $$$. Congratulations!

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #55 - 05/04/12 at 19:15:46

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/04/12 at 16:04:12:

How much is a kit? How much have you got in it? How much time have you got in it? Not to the minute, but kinda sorta, planning, shopping, & hands on doing it?

+1 How much money might one save if they were to copy you?  Cheesy

Awesome work. I admire the tenacity.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #56 - 05/05/12 at 08:20:40

Boule’tard wrote on 05/04/12 at 19:15:46:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/04/12 at 16:04:12:

How much is a kit? How much have you got in it? How much time have you got in it? Not to the minute, but kinda sorta, planning, shopping, & hands on doing it?

+1 How much money might one save if they were to copy you?  Cheesy

Awesome work. I admire the tenacity.

Ha, I'd have to look through my records to get you an exact number, but a good estimate is around $35 assuming you already have the tools required and some odds and ends here and there. I can't speak for the total time to get the LED gauge hooked up, but the O2 sensor was real quick to get installed with the drilling/welding. It took me maybe an hour total; someone who is more experienced welding would take much less time. I expect the gauge to take another hour or two, depending on what level of polish I apply to it. I'm more of a "function over form" kind of guy though, so I'm fairly sure it'll be butt ugly. Research was the big time sink, that and a few wasted trips to part stores to find a fracking bung/nut/whatever.

The odd thing about the "kit" is that there are so many combinations that could work, and I really haven't tested my setup (or any other setup) fully, so I'd hesitate to recommend anything just yet.

A downside to this "mod" is it doesn't necessarily gain you anything. In the end, I'll have something that'll tell me if my jetting is off, but the vast majority of people on this forum can already tell that by how the bike rides, how it sounds, etc. I don't even think I'll end up keeping the LED gauge and O2 sensor hooked up for long; I just want them in there long enough so that I can get my bike as close as possible to the right jetting.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I have a lot more respect for How-To's on this site that have all sorts of pictures and contiguous steps. I took my sweet time with this (and it is still on-going!), so to have a definitive guide on anything that well documented is impressive.

--
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #57 - 05/05/12 at 11:40:50

A downside to this "mod" is it doesn't necessarily gain you anything.

It does more than "Your jet is wrong". It will tell you at what point in the throttle/rpm its wrong & tell you if its lean or rich, right?

If it proves out & you are able to get your carb set up as right as a carb can Be set up,, (you know,, todays temp/humidity/barometric pressure was great,, what will it be tomorrow? ) & you can help others do it & avoid that Time Sink of figuring what stuff to get to create a working match up,  I think spending less than $50.00 & having an O2 reader on the bike is killer,,
Does it stay with the bike all the time or is it just a diagnostic tool to hit it with every once in awhile?

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #58 - 05/05/12 at 15:56:33

Yes, it'll tell you in what throttle range if you're lean, rich, or spot on. I'll be interested to see how the LED gauge acts when I get it on.

The sensor sticks out of the header three or four inches straight back, but it isn't intrusive at all. I wire-tied the wire output of it to my crash bars, so that stays out of my rear brake pedal. It has been on the bike for a while now, so it could be permanent. If the LED gauge mounts somewhere and doesn't look horrible it very well might stay on the bike a good long while.

--
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 09:22:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › Is it possible to make a cheap DIY Air Fuel Meter?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.