Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Blue Exhaust pipe and muffler (Read 138 times)
Tinfoil-Jim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Just outside of Stillwater, Ok
Blue Exhaust pipe and muffler
04/09/12 at 19:39:44

Since I have gotten my Savage I noticed that the exhaust pipe and the end of the muffler was starting to turn blue.  But since I have been riding it more the pipe and muffler are almost completely blue.  Is this bluing of the chrome due to the motor running lean?  And if so, how can I fix it without spending any money (trying to do this on the cheap to keep the wife happy)?  I don't have anything but wax and compound, and I don't think that either will take the blue off the pipe and muffler.

And yes I searched under "blue exhaust pipe" and "exhaust pipe turned blue" and got nothing.  So if there is not one, maybe we can sticky this one for a while.

Thanks in advance.

Jim B Cheesy .

IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Re: Blue Exhaust pipe and muffler
Reply #1 - 04/09/12 at 20:14:39

Google is your friend. Google search "How to clean blue motorcycle exhaust" the savage exhaust will turn blue for the first 12" or so at the bend. It is single wall pipe. Note like double wall or shielded as on some other bikes like my Volusia .The muffler should not turn blue.

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/09/12 at 20:18:55

You need blue job if you want it to look like it did before.

then never put any kind of wax or oil on it... cuz it turns it blue.

or just be cool and keep doing what you're doing... turn it all blue   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Tinfoil-Jim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/09/12 at 21:32:21

Cavie--The entire pipe IS blue.  The muffler too.

verslagen1--I just don't want to screw the motor up by running it too lean.  I have done that on my turbo charged car before and blew the motor when it boosted up top.  Liquid pistons don't work worth a flip!   I just did not know (at least not just yet) if there was a set screw on the carb to fatten it up.

Anyways, I will see about posting up a pic tomorrow to show you guys what I mean.  I just don't want to have to rebuild the motor just yet.

Jim B Cheesy .

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 04/10/12 at 09:40:39

The stock pipe is double and triple walled.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 04/10/12 at 09:54:51

Jim,.. is your muffler stock?...  how old or rusted?...

It may have come apart internally, and be restricted...

Pipes usually blue at the head, and then at "hot spots" where internal restrictions are...
For the entire length to blue, seems like an internal blockage... or,.. some cleaning product has been used on the pipe that reacted to the heat...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/10/12 at 09:57:58

I agree,, full length blue is not normal,
Is it holdin its breath?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tinfoil-Jim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/10/12 at 10:23:24

Well, it runs pretty good.  It looses a little bit of steam when I hit a hill with a head wind (about 5-7 mph).  But I am a hamburger over 300#, so that might have an affect on it slowing down also.  But over all everything looks stock, I have not changed anything.

Serowbot--There is still chrome on it.  It looks new, well except for the fact that it is blue.  I am sure that the muffler is the same age as the bike (an 02).  The only cleaning product that I used on it was soap and water at the car wash 2 weeks ago when I washed it.  But everything got wiped down and dried off before I started it back up.  And I even let it warm up just a little bit to dry the motor off before I rode it home.  It is getting great gas mileage still, so I am at a loss.

Let me see about some pics and then you guys can try and figure this one out for me.

Again, thanks in advance.

Jim B Cheesy .

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 04/10/12 at 10:42:52

Such a sudden event,, hmm,, if theres no obvious change in the way it runs, then Id have to wonder if there wasnt some wax accidentally squirted on it,, you may not have intended to wax it, but if you started with hosing the muffler & the last thing thru was some kind of windshield treatment or wax,, you may be seeing the effects of chemicals cooking off.. either way,, lousy deal, man,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 23:30:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Blue Exhaust pipe and muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.