Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Two Rear Flats... ? (Read 100 times)
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Two Rear Flats... ?
04/09/12 at 16:05:29

Last winter I had a new Pair of Metzler Marathons put on to my bike. I had this done at a place called MotoTire USA. They deal pretty much exclusively in moto tires and installation. I took the bike in and had them do the work.

I've since put a season and about 4,000 miles on the tires. Well 2 weeks ago I commuted the 5ish miles home from work. When I got home the rear valve stem was hissing. To my cheery delight, a flat. I took the the rear tire off and took it home for spring break (I go to school 2 hours from home) and took it to MotoTire. When I took it in they said they don't cover tubes, but upon inspecting it said they found a wrinkle in the tube. They replaced the tube and put it back together free of charge.

I brought the tire back and put it back on my bike. Rode around town for about a tank of gas. Then I took about 150 mile trip back home for the weekend, rode for about a tank and a half around home, then cam back to school. The return trip was fine and I went straight to work when returning to town. When I left work, once again the rear end had that squiggly feeling. By the time I got home the tire was again flat, and now trying to work its way off the rim.

What gives? There is no evidence of a nail of foreign object, seems to be the same problem as last time. Tube related.

I wanted to know if anyone had any insight on this, is there something that could be causing this? I park at a parking garage while at work... and I don't THINK anyone is trying to sabotage me... Should I spend the gas money to take the tire back home to MotoTire once AGAIN?  Or fork up the cash, buy a new tube, and have someone local install what I've already paid for?

I just want a second set of input on this issue.

However I AM glad the tire didn't go flat and try to bail off the rim on my return ride home.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Two Rear Flats... ?
Reply #1 - 04/09/12 at 16:38:08

People that use those tires say they have to run maximum air pressure in them.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 04/09/12 at 16:51:37

I would never take it back to a place that didn't do it right the first time,....especially a motorcycle tire. I know, for free, hard to not to let them redo it. But you probably just proved that they didn't do it right the 2nd time either.
I feel your pain.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/09/12 at 19:12:18

Ive had several tires put on at a local shop, never a problem with their work,,I couldnt go back to a place where they messed up, twice,, theyre batting a 1,000,, & not the good way.. YOu could get them to do it again, but how will you feel if you get stranded or crashed somewhere out in the boonies? You gonna be sayin "Yippeee,, I saved $30.00"?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 04/10/12 at 01:41:12

bill67 wrote on 04/09/12 at 16:38:08:

No Bill, we don't run MAXIMUM air pressure in them.  We run the recommended pressure for that tire on the LS650 as per Metzler.
With that said, I just checked various sources, and the recommended pressure for the ME 880 on the front is 36psi.  The rear is 40psi.

I have been running 40 on the front, but that was based on old information.  I even had a link posted somewhere in here at one time, but I can't find it now!!  I will drop back down to 36psi.

Oh.. and the MAX Pressure for the ME880 is 42psi, front and rear.

Back on topic.  I would sure be curious as to what made the 2nd tube fail.  Did they not have the right size and tried to stuff something in there?
I agree with the rest though..  don't take it back to the same place, but take the failed tube back and a receipt for it to see if you can get your money back.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/11/12 at 08:05:13

Plus 1 to what these guys are saying.
Take the whole thing somewhere else to have it looked at; somewhere that you know is reputable; even if it's going to be a little expensive, it's WAY cheaper than a wipe-out will be if your tire fails you again.
Be sure to double and triple check that the tire and tube are in fact the correct size for the wheel, and that the air pressure is correct.
Even if some people do run max pressure in these tires, there's no reason at all for it to fail in this way if it's filled to the recommended amount.
Good luck!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 04/11/12 at 09:51:26

youzguyz wrote on 04/10/12 at 01:41:12:
bill67 wrote on 04/09/12 at 16:38:08:

No Bill, we don't run MAXIMUM air pressure in them.  We run the recommended pressure for that tire on the LS650 as per Metzler.
With that said, I just checked various sources, and the recommended pressure for the ME 880 on the front is 36psi.  The rear is 40psi.

I have been running 40 on the front, but that was based on old information.  I even had a link posted somewhere in here at one time, but I can't find it now!!  I will drop back down to 36psi.

Oh.. and the MAX Pressure for the ME880 is 42psi, front and rear.

Back on topic.  I would sure be curious as to what made the 2nd tube fail.  Did they not have the right size and tried to stuff something in there?
I agree with the rest though..  don't take it back to the same place, but take the failed tube back and a receipt for it to see if you can get your money back.

Your using way to much air for a light weight bike.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 15:51:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Two Rear Flats... ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.