Send Topic Print
sturdy rearview mirrors (Read 89 times)
vineman

Oh sweet Ruby how
you tease!

Mid MO
sturdy rearview mirrors
04/07/12 at 22:21:04

Does anyone know of any mirrors or any style of mirror that doesn't vibrate as much while riding? Mine are so blurry when I'm riding that I've been wondering if there are any that might be more still. Would mirrors with thicker / larger stems be better?

2007 ls650 s40, Ruby Red, Nighttrain muffler, pod air filter, 155 main, chain conversion, superbrace fork brace, vista cruise cruise control, and a helluva lotta fun
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: sturdy rearview mirrors
Reply #1 - 04/07/12 at 22:36:40

stock mirrors are about the steadiest that I've found.

are you using stock bars?  they have weights in them to help steady.

does it vary with speed or always shaky?

WWW   IP Logged
vineman

Oh sweet Ruby how
you tease!

Mid MO
Reply #2 - 04/07/12 at 23:18:00

I'm using stock bars. Pretty much vary with speed.

2007 ls650 s40, Ruby Red, Nighttrain muffler, pod air filter, 155 main, chain conversion, superbrace fork brace, vista cruise cruise control, and a helluva lotta fun
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 04/07/12 at 23:57:18

The most important element in reducing jiggle in your mirrors is not about mounting, it is about the lens angle...
Many mirror manufacturers promote "realistic size" as a feature of their mirrors,.. but, it is the amount of wide angle to the lens that matters...
You know that "objects are closer than they appear" that gets pasted on some car mirrors?  That is wide angle...
Motorcycle mirrors are naturally smaller than car mirrors and also, get more vibration,.. so a wider angle view is needed for two reasons...

If your mirrors are "realistic view", (read flat lens),.. they will show vibration,... no matter what...
... but, too wide angle, and you'll just see cars as dots...
They need to have just the right balance of contour to show the view needed for their size, and at the distance from you, that is needed...
So,... check them out before you buy...
Hold them at the distance they will be mounted and see what your field of view is...
You should be able to see, two or three lanes at a normal following distance, but cars should be identifiable as cars and not dots at that distance...

If you buy mirrors with this amount of view angle, they won't show vibration excessively...

This same principal, is why cameras with telephoto lenses, need a tripod to steady them, whereas wide angle cameras can be hand held...
It's all about the angle... movement is exaggerated by telephoto and reduced by wider view angles...
Motorcycles,.. being lighter than cars, transfer more engine and road vibration, and need a wider angle lens to compensate...

Apologies for the excessive verbiage,.. garbage...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 04/08/12 at 07:01:17

I filled my bars with lead shot. Worked a charm.
And sorry Serow, I don't like any sort of distortion in mirrors. It makes it more difficult to judge distance. I have a turn in my right eye, and until it was corrected with prisms in my glasses, I used my dominant eye (left) to see. So I had no depth perception. How one's brain deals with this is to use relative size calculations (bigger is closer). This is a learned skill, and while I was learning it I had a few close calls. Using mirrors with a wide angle component in them requires you to make an extra calculation to figure out distances correctly, and sometimes you don't have time to do this.
JMHO Smiley

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/08/12 at 07:59:43

vineman wrote on 04/07/12 at 23:18:00:
I'm using stock bars. Pretty much vary with speed.

Vibes will vary with speed.
Make sure the nuts mounting it to the triple tree are tight.
Adding weight might be the thing to do.  I'm not sure where the weights end in the bars, but you could drill a hole under the clamp, fill the center bar with lead shot, then cork it with the clamp.

WWW   IP Logged
Theseus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cary, NC
Reply #6 - 04/12/12 at 07:14:02

I have stock mirrors (one original, one recently replaced) and neither vibrates significantly while riding. Your description makes it sound like something else is wrong, though others would be more qualified than me to guess what that might be.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 22:26:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › sturdy rearview mirrors

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.