Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sportster seat all that much better? (Read 231 times)
vineman

Oh sweet Ruby how
you tease!

Mid MO
Sportster seat all that much better?
04/07/12 at 11:32:49

Was replying to the thread on the "how to" for this mod and realized chances are no one will see this haha.

I've been wanting to upgrade my seat for this season and I was curious if the sportster seat mod promises much in the way of ride comfort improvment for either the rider and/or the passenger because I know my girlfriend would most appreciate a more comfy seat.

Also when I'm on the bike and accelerated really hard I almost feel I'm gonna slip off the back (not that I'm really going that fast  Grin ) But I'm wondering if the seat seems to cup you better?

And if Sportster "isn't the way to go" then are there maybe some better seats to try out?

2007 ls650 s40, Ruby Red, Nighttrain muffler, pod air filter, 155 main, chain conversion, superbrace fork brace, vista cruise cruise control, and a helluva lotta fun
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Sportster seat all that much better?
Reply #1 - 04/07/12 at 12:09:08

http://www.corbin.com/suzuki/ss40.shtml
Buy a Corbin. They are expensive as seats go but there  are non better.
And the passenger portion is wider and flatter than stock and much more comfortable.
You can see how happy my a$$ is in my profile pic. Wink

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
vineman

Oh sweet Ruby how
you tease!

Mid MO
Reply #2 - 04/07/12 at 12:34:24

Ya I had looked at the Corbin seats before but my wallet started to scream and run away. Maybe if i could find one on fleabay for cheap...I can dream...

2007 ls650 s40, Ruby Red, Nighttrain muffler, pod air filter, 155 main, chain conversion, superbrace fork brace, vista cruise cruise control, and a helluva lotta fun
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #3 - 04/07/12 at 13:20:21

I agree with arteacher. I had a sportster seat for several years and it was quite a bit better than the stock seat, but the corbin is the answer. I can ride for hours now without my a$$ killing me. With the sportster seat, an hour was pushing it.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/07/12 at 13:27:56

If you always ride solo, there are some very comfy options out there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
vineman

Oh sweet Ruby how
you tease!

Mid MO
Reply #5 - 04/07/12 at 13:38:12

I do ride solo most of the time and had seen gel pads to strap to the seat but hadn't heard much about their comfort pros or cons. they almost seem they would level out the seat not really holding you in much at all.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/07/12 at 14:02:09

I was talking about a strict solo seat,, put it on & you Will ride solo,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 04/07/12 at 15:03:17

I found the Sportster seat to be more comfortable that the Suzuki gel seat.  In fact Kropatchek was the one who told me this years ago, so I picked up a Sporty seat on eBay and put it on.  Haven't gone back yet.  It's been years, so I may try the old gel seat again just for kicks.  Hmmm, if I do I'll have to modify it to work with my speed-pins.  Oh well, no problem.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/07/12 at 15:13:32

Whether it's a stock seat or a sportster, comfort depends on the person.
I got a '96 and I would rate that a half hour seat.
I put a sportster on it and would rate it an hour seat.
if you put one on, plan on being a couple inches taller.
and it you got a windshield, plan on raising it.

WWW   IP Logged
vineman

Oh sweet Ruby how
you tease!

Mid MO
Reply #9 - 04/07/12 at 18:12:15

I think the sport looks great on the bike and they're actually pretty affordable in good shape. Since I don't have Corbin money right now then I think I'll go that route for now.

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #10 - 04/08/12 at 03:48:40

vineman wrote on 04/07/12 at 18:12:15:
I think the sport looks great on the bike and they're actually pretty affordable in good shape. Since I don't have Corbin money right now then I think I'll go that route for now.

Keep in mind that the sportster seat isn't a direct swap. There is a little bit of customizing required to mount it.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
vineman

Oh sweet Ruby how
you tease!

Mid MO
Reply #11 - 04/08/12 at 08:59:03

ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 04/08/12 at 03:48:40:
vineman wrote on 04/07/12 at 18:12:15:

Keep in mind that the sportster seat isn't a direct swap. There is a little bit of customizing required to mount it.

Oh ya I knew that from the beginning. I've always been a diy guy so shouldn't be a problem  Wink

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #12 - 04/09/12 at 15:46:53

I put a third party saddle seat that was originally from a V-Star on my Sav and it's a vast improvement. I have a full saddle size gel pad too which really didn't live up to expectations at all. As the seat's not a direct swap you will be doing some extra moding and you will be sitting higher up, unless you remove the rear seat pad so the back of the saddle can sit lower.

If you've got a gel pad start right out on it. If you wait to use it until you start to get that rosy glow feeling "back there" the gel won't really do anything for you.

Take a couple Tylenol (or such) before you start a long ride and keep shifting the "south forty" around BEFORE the pain sets in. It makes the really long runs (550-650 mile days) possible. There's also a fairly dense padding material you can get at fabric stores that offers some support, lets air flow around under you and (as told by that Old Feller) makes a mean, cleanable, free breathing air filter. It's back in the stuffing/foam section, but it's not foam.

I've also tried one of those bead seat pads. Okay for a bit bit the beads start to dig in after a while. It did make a great back rest pad when hanging on the front of my T-Bag though. No more sticky, sweaty back. Evaporation helped a lot with keeping cool on the runs down south in mid-July.

Jack

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 04/09/12 at 16:06:15

I have a modified Kawasaki VN800A seat on mine right now. Haven't tested it on the Savage, but, having had an 800A a few years ago, I know it is a decent seat.Have to make a new mounting tab under the seat and mod the stock frame mount a bit to fit it the rest of the way. But 400+ miles is possible before you start to get chafe and/or monkey butt...

Stock Savage seat was good for maybe 100 miles at a time, 200 in a day.

Stock pan with 2 layers of blue 3/8" ensolite under heavy leather was better, but not by much.

My old GS750T (aircooled inline 4 touring bike) wasn't any better. Suzuki makes the worst seats out there.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:21:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sportster seat all that much better?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.