Send Topic Print
Gas tank dent removal? (Read 307 times)
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Re: Gas tank dent removal?
Reply #15 - 04/06/12 at 20:49:04

Its really not as bad as the pic looks, how much would it cost to have it fixed ya think? It's not super horrible... and doesn't have a "brow" it just looks that way in the pic... it may pop right out...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 04/06/12 at 21:17:29

YOu slid your hand along the Non bent part, toward the dent & it didnt rise before it went down? YOu may need a piece of T shirt under your hand to feel it, Id be truly shocked if it isnt there, they are found where dents are found,
Id be shocked to see the labor on that dent be over 30 minutes with a pro on it, some guy in his own shop, moonlighting, take an hour,, someone who doesnt know how? May not get it in a day,.,

Now, thats not paint time, ya know,,paint will cost more than UN dentin it,..by a lot, Now is the time to paint the whole thing if you have any desire. You can save $$$ by hiring someone who does it at home, you sand & do p[rep work & learn some stuff & save a bundle,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #17 - 04/06/12 at 21:26:14

It doesn't raise before it bends in, I could get it to pop out with that bar dent fixer thing if it didn't use glue sticks, something stronger.. just tried with that crap for an hour, the the plunger kept breaking out of the glue... I was gonna paint it anyway... once the dent is out I'll paint it myself... this dent should be CAKE for a pro, easy access to it and its not creased or raised.. I have no idea where to look for someone easy on the wallet (cheaper than a new tank) and does top notch quality work... I can get a new tank shell for $100

Oh well, it's drivable and not going to any photo shoots soon so I guess it's a waiting game... Cheesy

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #18 - 04/06/12 at 21:36:38

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 04/06/12 at 21:58:10

If you want to do the paint, Ill bet you can ride up to a few shops & talk to some folks & find someone to fix the dent for $20.00 & a 6 pack.
Justy dont rush it,, look around, spend a few minutes visitin,, if you can catch someone using a long board , take a few minutes to watch,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #20 - 04/06/12 at 23:09:24

Looking at the pic....  I think I see eyebrow, too...
... so if you want perfect,... it probably needs pulled out, then pounded down around the rim...(pro stuff)... (or whatever magic those auto body dudes do)... Huh...
... options...
a,  it's character...
b,  have you considered chrome?... chrome is faster, you know...
Grin...

Funny thing...  my buddy just bought another V-star (he buys one every other week),... that had a double (fist size) dent from a helmet drop (yeah,  right)...
The bike shop we went to, recommended a body place just down the street.   We stopped in to ask, and two guys there gave us a look, and a nod, over to a tank on the floor,... and said.... "Don't try compressed air";;;
The tank was,... extremely expanded (think, blunderbuss?)....
Anyway,.. the HF glue popper worked to 85% satisfaction...

Sorry it didn't cut it for you,... but worth a try...

So,....... have you considered chrome?....
You'd only be second one here with a chrome tank...
I swear, I'm 2 seconds faster... (which is a shame with all the women's chasing me down the street)....
(sorry ladies,.. can't slow down with the chrome tank,... just too much power...)...Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #21 - 04/07/12 at 05:50:21

I like chrome tanks but right now I need to find out who or how to get this dent out.. aha

IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 04/07/12 at 06:33:34

I don't know how deep that dent is.. I would be worried about stressing the crease if you pulled the dent, shouldn't be an issue though... If it isn't deep, BONDO that spot and repaint! When I bought my bike, it looked like it's former job was as an obstacle at a golf driving range. Sand the whole tank and it highlights any other dents. Lay some bondo to fill the dent(s), then gradually step up your standing until it is like melted butter and smooth with the rest of the tank.. then repaint. I have had good luck with the DupliColor cans from Advanced Auto Parts and a good clear coat. The finish looks factory.

Though the easiest route would be to buy a new tank.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #23 - 04/07/12 at 06:37:07

Do you need new gaskets/seals or any special tools/skills to swap over a speedometer and wiring to a new tank?

IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 04/07/12 at 07:30:33

I took mine out when I reprinted, and it was pretty basic and needed nothing to re-install.

Remove tank. Disconnect speedo cable and wiring harness. Remove three nuts from speedometer assembly (don't lose the springs and washers underneath). Remove assembly from tank. Install assembly in new tank. Add the washers, springs, and nuts to the three posts. Connect speedometer cable. Connect wiring harness.

You are talking about moving the entire assembly, right? Or are you moving the just speedo to a new assembly?

IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 04/07/12 at 07:36:23

Also, a little tick with the Ding King.... Whether it works or not, take it back and say it didn't work lol.

I got t-boned in my first car and got a big check to cover the damages (nothing more than a dent in the rear door). Gotta loved getting hit by rich people who want to avoid their insurance company lol. Bought a Ding King at Walmart, popped the dent, and took it back.. Put that check to a new Les Paul and a Marshall half stack. Jackpot!

Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 04/07/12 at 07:42:15

x1karr0usx wrote on 04/07/12 at 07:36:23:
Also, a little tick with the Ding King.... Whether it works or not, take it back and say it didn't work lol.

I got t-boned in my first car and got a big check to cover the damages (nothing more than a dent in the rear door). Gotta loved getting hit by rich people who want to avoid their insurance company lol. Bought a Ding King at Walmart, popped the dent, and took it back.. Put that check to a new Les Paul and a Marshall half stack. Jackpot!

Congrats, youre part of the problem..

Ohh,, & By the way,, theres a reason why body men pull dents instead of jamming them full of mud, You cant hide the eyebrow, is one, deep mud is notorious for breaking out is another &, finally,, thats crappy work. but, based on your willingness to lie to & screw over your local parts houses & cost them $$$,, why should I be shocked that youd do crappy work?
Your "Fear" that a proper repair might Stress the metal is duly noted, & laughed at by someone who has a few years experience working metal for a living.,

YOuve certainly impressed me. IN only 60 posts youve managed to go to the very bottom of the entire population of this board in how much I respect people,

Cool

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #27 - 04/07/12 at 07:54:30

Cool

I guess they didn't have Fenders so you had no choice.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #28 - 04/07/12 at 08:01:49

x1karr0usx wrote on 04/07/12 at 07:30:33:
I took mine out when I reprinted, and it was pretty basic and needed nothing to re-install.

Remove tank. Disconnect speedo cable and wiring harness. Remove three nuts from speedometer assembly (don't lose the springs and washers underneath). Remove assembly from tank. Install assembly in new tank. Add the washers, springs, and nuts to the three posts. Connect speedometer cable. Connect wiring harness.

You are talking about moving the entire assembly, right? Or are you moving the just speedo to a new assembly?

I'm talking about getting a gas tank "shell" and putting in my own hardware... so you pretty much covered it, I think I'm just gonna go with a new tank shell, sand it, paint it, throw in my hardware/electronics and be happier  Cheesy

Then later on when I get some "motorcycle gas tank dent repair tools" (roughly $325) I'll pop the old one and start running a side job for people with dented tanks  Wink

IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 04/07/12 at 11:57:12

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/07/12 at 07:42:15:

Congrats, youre part of the problem..

Ohh,, & By the way,, theres a reason why body men pull dents instead of jamming them full of mud, You cant hide the eyebrow, is one, deep mud is notorious for breaking out is another &, finally,, thats crappy work. but, based on your willingness to lie to & screw over your local parts houses & cost them $$$,, why should I be shocked that youd do crappy work?
Your "Fear" that a proper repair might Stress the metal is duly noted, & laughed at by someone who has a few years experience working metal for a living.,

YOuve certainly impressed me. IN only 60 posts youve managed to go to the very bottom of the entire population of this board in how much I respect people,

Cool

The day I shed a tear for screwing over shitbags like Walmart will be a cold day in hell. Either way, I was giving the fellow thumper a cheap route. Take it easy cupcake.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:15:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas tank dent removal?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.