Send Topic Print
Gas tank dent removal? (Read 307 times)
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Gas tank dent removal?
04/05/12 at 13:37:46

Anyone know the best tool to get to remove a large egg sized dent in the curved part of the gas tank, nearest to the filler cap on the side?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Gas tank dent removal?
Reply #1 - 04/05/12 at 13:55:42

shotgun

WWW   IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #2 - 04/05/12 at 14:14:05

The cops said I'm not allowed to have any guns..

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 04/05/12 at 15:20:17

This works... where rubber suckers, and dry ice didn't... (definitely don't try air in the tank; she'll blow, you'll cry)...

http://www.harborfreight.com/crossbar-dent-repair-kit-66957.html

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #4 - 04/05/12 at 22:05:08

Gonna give that a try, and then hopefully a new paint job.. bike fell off the bike jack wit no handle bars on it.. smashed rear turn signal and big old dent in the tank.. set me forward on my bobber style at least Cheesy

IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #5 - 04/05/12 at 23:15:40

let us know how that goes, I'm in a similar position.

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/06/12 at 02:21:55

If youd post a pic, Ill tell you what youll have to do. Sounds to me like you need a body man or a tank, I have a dent in mine from Catching it when it was falling,, I cant imagine the crushing the tank would get from a fall like you describe,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #7 - 04/06/12 at 06:18:43

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/06/12 at 02:21:55:
If youd post a pic, Ill tell you what youll have to do. Sounds to me like you need a body man or a tank, I have a dent in mine from Catching it when it was falling,, I cant imagine the crushing the tank would get from a fall like you describe,

Think the Crossbar Dent Repair kit will do the trick, or do I need one of those rubber pad ended hook thingies?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/06/12 at 07:34:43

Youll need a very light hammer & a very careful hand. Every dent creates an eyebrow around it, a high spot. If youll get a piece of wood, hard wood, like 1/2" X 3/4 & 6 or 8 long & shape the face to eliminate hard edges, You can pull with the crossbar from the bottom of that dent & using light quick taps work around that eyebrow. As you work that down, the low spot will come up & the eyebrow will walk to the center.
IF & considering the size of the dent, I wouldnt be surprised to see the suction cup wont pull hard enough to do this,  you can drill a hole in the low point & get a T hook from a body shop supply, or make one. Anyway, you have to pull on the dent while you gently spank the eyebrow. Light quik taps, LIGHT taps, Its better to take too long than make it worse,

Go to a body shop & look around at the employees, see if you see anyone you want to talk to. Go to shops till ya do, if ya see a bike,, well,, thats a good sign,
Some of those guys just want to make $$$, some of them like to see people try to learn & will help.,theyre just like everyone else,,

You can even rent a tool that welds a brad onto the metal, & it comes with a slide hammer that grips the brad, so, no hole.. Now, does that glowing red metal have the potential to blow the tank? IDK!! So,, take precautions or just dont do that,, How to plug the hole if you drill? IDK,, so,, before you do that,, know how youll fill it, safely.

YOu can also ask the shop owner for a fender or any bent piece so you can practice with your hammering before you work on your tank,,
Have a look at body hammers online, they look a lot like a silversmiths hammer,
Leave your caveman at home, let the secretary swing the hammer,.its wrist stuff, forearm hardly moves at all.

Also, thats really a pretty hard crease, it may have stretched the metal some. Heat is the usual answer to shrinking metal, using a brazing tip, heating a dime sized area, it swells up, ya spank it a couple of times to flatten it, then quench with a wet rag.. BUT,, I shrunk a door on a car that had a fancy interior I wasnt able to remove. A punch with a pointed but not sharp end, like a pencil that isnt fresh out of the sharpener, but not time to sharpen again, either,, right when its writing a nice solid line,,It takes some work & technique, IF you need it, Ill explain it later, its a pot of typing,

Good Luck, man, Ill bet you wanted to puke when you saw that,,bummer, dude,,

YOu might just be ahead to take it to a shop & be done with it,.,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #9 - 04/06/12 at 11:33:39

Puked when I saw it? More likee yelled and cursed and kicked a few empty boxes around! I seem to learn the hard way, and my lessons I learn well...

I got a few ideas on how to"work with it" and since its near the filler it might be easier than expected to knock back out Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 04/06/12 at 11:37:05

Nope,, it wont,, & itll be stretched pretty bad Id bet,, You cant position your blows strategically from inside, youd be ahead to go visit a few bodyshops till you find someone who does work at home,

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 04/06/12 at 11:43:14

I had a dent like that in a Suzuki GS850 (the best standard ever made).  I put that dent there by dropping a helmet on the tank.  I was not happy.

I rode that bike around for years with that dent.  I finally bought a Ding King which real similar in principal to that Harbor Freight deelybob.

I tried it several times on the dent, and it would always just pop off without pulling the dent out.  I gave up for bit,.. then came back later,... when I had some wishful thinking,.. maybe it was just hope, but the dent seemed a bit smaller.  So I tried again and again and again, and sure enough the dent was getting smaller,.. and finally, a big kapow when the dent just popped back out.

It may or may not work on your particular dent, but it worked on mine.

I'm not sayin',.. I'm just sayin'

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 04/06/12 at 11:57:03

Well,, I made a living as a bodyman for 3 years. Im far from the best, Im not even close, but from the location of that dent & the eyebrow I see in the distortion in the unbent part as it comes to the dent, Id say thats a hard crease & just pulling wont begin to fix it,
Again, Id go visdit some shops & see if I could find someone who does bodywork at home,,I worked with guys who did that & they worked pretty cheap. If you want to do the bondo, thats a place to save some $$$, but Ive never seen anyone without training, w/o someone showing them how, win in a reasonable amount of time,,Need a sanding block, too.
By the time you buy all the stuff & learn how to do it, you will have spent $$$ & time you could have spent elsewhere.. & really,,, when will you need what you will learn? Ive gone thru a few learning curves & paid for that School of Hard KNocks & realized I should have just hired it done,, or gone & bought what I was "Saaavin Munney" by building,,

This could be a great opportunity to ride over to some guys place with a 12 pack & work with him & learn some stuff,, savin $$, helping the guy..

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #13 - 04/06/12 at 20:07:32

Thanks for all the tips, if I bought a new s40 gas tank shell, how hard is it to put in my speedometer, wiring, filler, and all that stuff.. make sure it's sealed?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 04/06/12 at 20:09:43

Heck of a lot easier than fixin that dent, but Id bet you could get it fixed for less than a tank. If you want to go that route, you mite look for a used one, gonna have to paint, either way,
You know,, the bike isnt ruined, you can ride like that & hunt for the best answer & fix it next winter,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:15:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas tank dent removal?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.